Plenty of people go to the ER for non-serious things. Technically everytime I go to the doctor its an ER visit as that's the only way I get seen on the same day. It might very well be similar in Canada. And statistically we know that the risk of a serious reaction is low so I'd rather trust that than a study that doesn't give important information about the reasons for the ER visits

Oh yeah, it's very different from the States here, we don't pay for ER visits and it's very much a "better safe than sorry" mentality in regards to going to the ER. Every time I've called the nurse's line they've told me to go to the ER, and the times I've gone after they told me to nothing has really been wrong. :shrug:

I was in the ER probably 30 times as a kid, I'm sure I've been 50+ times including going with other people. It wouldn't surprise me at all if people were taking their kids to the ER for something as little as a fever post-vaccination.

So if my child has a risk of 1 in 168 of going to the ER after their 12 month shots, what do YOU say the risk is of a "serious" event? Don't just say 1 in a million :haha: (or "highly unlikely").

I would guess that at least in part that stat means parents are a bit more antsy than usual after vaccinations and more likely to take kids to the ER for something that may be totally unrelated to the vaccination. :shrug: How much higher is 1:168 than the average chance that a young kid is going to turn up in the ER on any given day?

So if my child has a risk of 1 in 168 of going to the ER after their 12 month shots, what do YOU say the risk is of a "serious" event? Don't just say 1 in a million :haha: (or "highly unlikely").

I would guess that at least in part that stat means parents are a bit more antsy than usual after vaccinations and more likely to take kids to the ER for something that may be totally unrelated to the vaccination. :shrug: How much higher is 1:168 than the average chance that a young kid is going to turn up in the ER on any given day?

I'd like to know, but it can't be that common here.

I guess I don't know how Cananda is with the ER compared to the US, it didn't occur to me that people would go to the ER for just about anything in some places.

I find it shocking you have to take your child to the ER to be seen on the same day, I have never had a problem taking my child to his doctor same day, or myself (okay, sometimes it's the next AM for me). I have even gotten him an appointment on Saturday which kept us out of the ER.

To the the ER is for EMERGENCIES, like need stitches or a cast, or you've been in an accident, etc.

Okay I lied, I've been there twice, I went once after a car accident. I watched the dr stitching up a 8-inch gash in a ladies leg and stuff, emergency stuff.

I doubt parents would be that "extra" vigilant, don't most parents just assume vaccines are safe because their doctor said so?

Ah well, it is an interesting read. I don't know if such studies exist in the US.

I guess it is different in countries where healthcare is funded, and maybe it's different in terms of definition of "ER".

Here we call it A&E (Accident and Emergency) but you'd see people there for all sorts of things, including it just being out of usual doctors hours.

I wouldn't usually have trouble getting an appointment with my GP on the same day, but I might have to wait till the afternoon. If I was feeling anxious about, say, a temperature spike, I might want my baby to be seen sooner.

I've been about 50/50 with getting same day appointments with my LO's doctor. If I can't, I take her to a walk-in clinic... if it's during the day. They're usually only open 9-4. Anything outside of those hours that was worrying, most people I know would go to the ER.

Plenty of people go to the ER for non-serious things. Technically everytime I go to the doctor its an ER visit as that's the only way I get seen on the same day. It might very well be similar in Canada. And statistically we know that the risk of a serious reaction is low so I'd rather trust that than a study that doesn't give important information about the reasons for the ER visits

Yes, everyone goes to the ER here for absolutely anything. Which means crazy long wait times, at least here in the city where I live. I generally don't bother to go to the ER unless its serious - I'll go to a walk in clinic instead.

Although interesting enough I got told by my Dr's office that they get charged a fine if I go to a walk in clinic, as there's a doctor shortage in my city. So I have to try and call for emergency appointments now. :shrug:

Which is fine, I'd rather an emergency appt where we know what time to show up versus a minimum 6+ hour wait at the ER or clinic sitting around all sorts of sick people.

In my town the ER is in the same building as the health centre. Its called emergency but it means not just big accidents and stuff like that but also for minor things that can't wait a few days. And also if you want to see a doctor out of hours you have to go to the emergency too. A normal doctor appointment can take a week or longer every time I've had an issue that wasn't urgent. So I've been to the ER for tonsillitis, ear infection, joint pain, urine infections. So very normal stuff but not things I can wait a week or longer for.

Kinda sucks compared to all the other towns I've lived in where I could same day appointments with the normal doctor but this town is different.

Yes, everyone goes to the ER here for absolutely anything. Which means crazy long wait times, at least here in the city where I live. I generally don't bother to go to the ER unless its serious - I'll go to a walk in clinic instead.

Although interesting enough I got told by my Dr's office that they get charged a fine if I go to a walk in clinic, as there's a doctor shortage in my city. So I have to try and call for emergency appointments now. :shrug:

Which is fine, I'd rather an emergency appt where we know what time to show up versus a minimum 6+ hour wait at the ER or clinic sitting around all sorts of sick people.

When we go to the emergency here (and its not an actual emergency like a heart attack) we call the emergency line and get given a time to come and wait so its usually no more than an hour waiting after that but often I'm only waiting ten minutes or so, thanks to them triaging on the phone.

We do not...anymore.

image.jpg

This is my eldest. He will be five in a month or so.
This was him after his one and only shot.
He was 11 weeks old here.
He had seizures-rare types of seizures, and dystonia types of behaviors as a result of the vaccine.
To this day he is epileptic.
I believe he was born epileptic. However, the pain and struggle I watched him go through immediatly after the only jab he ever received, made it very clear to everyone that he is the type who will be that rarity and has a high risk of reacting to the vaccines. I believe the vaccine pushed his little body over. It was a nightmare and something that still haunts me.

My nephew was discovered to have similar fate as my son after vaccines.
My other sister learned the same about her son too, recently.

Since then, we don't vaccinate him. And our other two have never recieved a vaccine. I have always been on the fence if we should or should not, prior to the events of my eldest. I had a gut feeling telling me I should not go through with it. But I also see the good vaccines can bring too. So I made the choice to give that one, little vaccine...I made the wrong choice. Never again will I do that.

I respect everyone's stance, and as I said I see both sides of the why and the why not. But each parent has to weigh the risk and the benefits as well as listen to their mama intuition. For us, I learned the hard way....even if something is considered rare, if it happens to you, it happens 100% to you. IM not saying people shouldn't vaccinate. I'm
Not saying ppl should vaccinate. All I am saying is that i have no room to decide that for someone else. But I am saying, no matter the likelihood of a risk there is, you've got to decide which you could handle better. You absolutely have to know that IF something happens, it doesn't only happen part way to that person, it happens 100% to that person. Whether that be getting a vaccine injury or that be not vaccinating and having to make funeral plans while your child lays I'll.
It is a toss up. And is not a subject that is as black and white as everyone thinks. Not everyone's risk of contracting the illness is the same. Not everyone's risk of having a vaccine reaction is the same. It is a tough choice to make. I know many like to think it is a no brainer...but I was humbled to learn that isn't always the case. And that goes both ways.

We do here but we opted out of varicella and the flu vaccines until recently and delayed the others... my daughter has had up to 12 months and that's it. She needs her second dose of the MMR soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->