23months and the time has come!

monkers1984

Reaction score
As the title says the time has come to wean my 23month old - we started on Monday and he hasn't had a feed since then. We are both finding it quite hard to be honest - me emotionally and him because he's a booby addict lol!! But I feel the time is right n although he frequently asks for "booba" he seems quite happy to accept when I tell him "no more booba" -- but the problem is his bedtime and nap time, he is obviously tired but without the boob can't quite drop off! He has always nursed to sleep?? My question is will this get better?? Will he learn to sleep on his own - I try to keep him close n cuddle him - but he tosses n turns for a good hour before settling off to sleep -- with the boob he would be asleep in 5minutes -- any advice would be great as I have found this so hard - I have loved him feeding him and I am truly amazed at the beautiful bond breastfeeding gives you! My goal was always 6 weeks then 6months and somehow we got to very nearly 2!! I am proud of what we have achieved because it's been so hard on the way - from sore nipples to giving up dairy but overall it's been the best experience ever!!!

I decided i wanted to wean at xmas but we were still co sleeping. We had to do some sleep training and enlisted the support of our hv who was really great. My lo would never have learnt to ss without this as he was very much a boob addict. We finally stopped bf last friday after gradually cutting down feeds over a few weeks. Im not sure what to suggest for you other than putting him in his cot and maybe stroking and patting until he goes to sleep. You could gradually reduce the length of time you spend "assisting him".

Thanks for your advice -- that's what I've been doing the sshhhhing n rubbing his back - he just seems a bit lost?? Which I guess is completely normal during this stage! Hopefully things will get easier! My boobs have been feeling quite full and sore today hoping to avoid mastitis ?? How long does it normally take for your milk to dry out - any experiences welcome!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->