:'(

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
I have woken up today with my entire back in agony. I can barely move, and my neck is also very painful, and I have the odd pain going down my legs. I feel like I've suddenly been crippled. I have booked the doctor but I am curious as to what the cause of this could be, and if there is anything I can do? I am a teacher and my job requires standing up all day. I stayed off today but really don't know how I can do my job if this carries on :( it is so depressing

Malia, many hugs and well wishes. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced too severe of back pain. How were you sleeping? On your back? Side? Perhaps it's going to rain sometime today?

Tonight, I cannot rest because I have lower back pain and my sciatic nerve is pinched. It's causing numbness and making pain shoot down my leg. Are you experiencing the same thing? I sometimes have to pop my hip/pelvis to help reduce the pain.

Also, what age do you teach? I was teaching children from age 5 - 13 during my first trimester and part of my second. Maybe I can provide some tips or if the school could lend a TA for your class?

I hope you feel better soon.

You're having a really bad time at the moment aren't you? :( I hope the doctor can help and you feel better soon!

Malia, many hugs and well wishes. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced too severe of back pain. How were you sleeping? On your back? Side? Perhaps it's going to rain sometime today?

Tonight, I cannot rest because I have lower back pain and my sciatic nerve is pinched. It's causing numbness and making pain shoot down my leg. Are you experiencing the same thing? I sometimes have to pop my hip/pelvis to help reduce the pain.

Also, what age do you teach? I was teaching children from age 5 - 13 during my first trimester and part of my second. Maybe I can provide some tips or if the school could lend a TA for your class?

I hope you feel better soon.

I also have numbness and a shooting pain in my leg. Could it be sciatica?
I teach secondary school, 11-18, in quite a challenging school. Is a TA like a classroom assistant? I worry that it is the standing on my feet all day at work and often not having time for much of a break that has caused this. :(

You're having a really bad time at the moment aren't you? :( I hope the doctor can help and you feel better soon!

I know :( I feel like it is one thing after another. Coupled with a very stressful job and currently trying to find a new home having sold ours, I am beyond stressed.

Definitely sound like some type of nerve pain/sciatica. Alternating an ice pack and hot water bottle might help but I never found it much use x

I teach secondary school, 11-18, in quite a challenging school. Is a TA like a classroom assistant? I worry that it is the standing on my feet all day at work and often not having time for much of a break that has caused this. :(

It probably is since there's numbness and it's going down your leg. The baby might be sitting all of the weight on your nerve. Usually medicine like Tylenol doesn't do anything for it since it's nerve pain. I use hot packs/warming blankets on the back/hip to help. (if you don't have one, find a clean sock and put uncooked rice inside. Heat the sock with the rice in a microwave for 1 minute, instant hot pack.) But make sure it's not too hot, just warm. I would ask your doctor about maybe seeing a chiropractor or suggestions for pregnancy stretches.

My husband would aide me in a laying (lying?) down stretch to help pop my hip/pelvis and it would alleviate the pain. I would definitely ask the doctor or even call to ask the nurse desk.

Ah secondary, that might require a TA (Teacher's Assistant). Hopefully, there are some volunteers/interns getting certified that could help you. If not, maybe try planning a list of activities for the day that encompasses the lessons. It keeps them all busy without losing too much time with the material. I would consider using a powerpoint/projector if you have access so you can sit down while working. And if you can commandeer a rolling chair, that's even better. I used that to roll around the classroom without getting up. You can even put a cushiony pillow to help ease any back pain.

Hopefully, some of this can help :)

Could you get a pregnancy support belt for when you're standing? I went to a physio class recently and they gave me one, it helps to give a bit of extra support when you're on the go.

I also suffered terribly until I got a new mattress - bit of an expensive solution but it has really cleared up a lot of my back pain. I am still struggling with pelvic pain but at least in the mornings I feel a little better - the evenings are worse especially if I've overdone it during the day.

Would definitely recommend that you see your doctor and find out if physio is an option for you.

Could you get a pregnancy support belt for when you're standing? I went to a physio class recently and they gave me one, it helps to give a bit of extra support when you're on the go.

Omg, I'm so glad I saw your post! My mother gifted me with one, but it was when I was in 1st trimester and didn't have a bump. I think it might fit.

:dog: Gotta find it! Hopefully, malia has one stashed somewhere too.

It probably is since there's numbness and it's going down your leg. The baby might be sitting all of the weight on your nerve. Usually medicine like Tylenol doesn't do anything for it since it's nerve pain. I use hot packs/warming blankets on the back/hip to help. (if you don't have one, find a clean sock and put uncooked rice inside. Heat the sock with the rice in a microwave for 1 minute, instant hot pack.) But make sure it's not too hot, just warm. I would ask your doctor about maybe seeing a chiropractor or suggestions for pregnancy stretches.

My husband would aide me in a laying (lying?) down stretch to help pop my hip/pelvis and it would alleviate the pain. I would definitely ask the doctor or even call to ask the nurse desk.

Ah secondary, that might require a TA (Teacher's Assistant). Hopefully, there are some volunteers/interns getting certified that could help you. If not, maybe try planning a list of activities for the day that encompasses the lessons. It keeps them all busy without losing too much time with the material. I would consider using a powerpoint/projector if you have access so you can sit down while working. And if you can commandeer a rolling chair, that's even better. I used that to roll around the classroom without getting up. You can even put a cushiony pillow to help ease any back pain.

Hopefully, some of this can help :)

Thank you very much :) I might take my pregnancy pillow to work for my seat. I will have to plan some activities they can work on without me circling the room constantly.

I also suffered terribly until I got a new mattress - bit of an expensive solution but it has really cleared up a lot of my back pain. I am still struggling with pelvic pain but at least in the mornings I feel a little better - the evenings are worse especially if I've overdone it during the day.

Would definitely recommend that you see your doctor and find out if physio is an option for you.

We have actually just bought a new mattress that was quite expensive so I really hope that isn't causing the issue. I am going to investigate a support belt, thank you.

The doctor was useless and said she didn't know who to refer me to and to and that there should be a number to call in my pregnancy notes. There isn't!!!!

I have pain stretching from the side of my back around my ribs and I'm pretty sure it's from lifting my daughter all the time. My abs used to be really strong as I did pilates all the time. Now, with these twins I was on rest for the first tri because I had 2 subchorionic hemorrhages. I haven't been able to work out, attend yoga or do anything at all. With the belly popping AND standing all day, it's really hard on the back and hips if your core muscles are weak, the back takes everything as it has soooo much to protect. Have you tried massage? I love hot showers and a good massage. When you're feeling better it'd be wise to invest in your back health with a yoga class or some sort of strengthening work. With progesterone loosening all of our joints, if your muscles are weak your spine, hips, knee joints are at risk.

You probably won't feel like exercise after a long day of work but you need to take care of yourself yes? You don't want to have serious back pain when your baby arrives. And trust me, it only gets more challenging as your baby gains weight. My DD is 21 pounds and killing me. She wants up alllll the time. 3 months of not working out is all it took for my body to completely break down and have pain SO often. My shoulder hurts, my shoulderblade gets sharp pains, and now my ribs are alternating side of serious pain from carrying her. Exercise has always helped me keep things feeling good and I've never been in so much agony as these last few months. I hope you can find answers. Treat yourself gently, I hope it gets better soon!

Are you sure it's not germs? When I have flu I get that bad back pain that goes down my legs and it's severe. I had mild flu this pregnancy or flu like germs because I had that severe pain again and down my legs but everything with baby is fine. I was having high temps of 38. As well so I knew it was germs and nothing to worry about bit that's what caused mine x

I have pain stretching from the side of my back around my ribs and I'm pretty sure it's from lifting my daughter all the time. My abs used to be really strong as I did pilates all the time. Now, with these twins I was on rest for the first tri because I had 2 subchorionic hemorrhages. I haven't been able to work out, attend yoga or do anything at all. With the belly popping AND standing all day, it's really hard on the back and hips if your core muscles are weak, the back takes everything as it has soooo much to protect. Have you tried massage? I love hot showers and a good massage. When you're feeling better it'd be wise to invest in your back health with a yoga class or some sort of strengthening work. With progesterone loosening all of our joints, if your muscles are weak your spine, hips, knee joints are at risk.

You probably won't feel like exercise after a long day of work but you need to take care of yourself yes? You don't want to have serious back pain when your baby arrives. And trust me, it only gets more challenging as your baby gains weight. My DD is 21 pounds and killing me. She wants up alllll the time. 3 months of not working out is all it took for my body to completely break down and have pain SO often. My shoulder hurts, my shoulderblade gets sharp pains, and now my ribs are alternating side of serious pain from carrying her. Exercise has always helped me keep things feeling good and I've never been in so much agony as these last few months. I hope you can find answers. Treat yourself gently, I hope it gets better soon!

I am DESPERATE for a massage and just waiting until payday. I am hoping that when I see my midwife on Thursday she might be able to refer me to somebody. Maybe I should try walking the dog or something after work. I would love to get into Yoga but was wary of taking up anything new after finding out I was pregnant. Thank you for the suggestions :)

Are you sure it's not germs? When I have flu I get that bad back pain that goes down my legs and it's severe. I had mild flu this pregnancy or flu like germs because I had that severe pain again and down my legs but everything with baby is fine. I was having high temps of 38. As well so I knew it was germs and nothing to worry about bit that's what caused mine x

I hadn't thought of that. I do have a little bit of a head cold so maybe that is a contributing factor. Thank you x

SOOO many women feel that taking up something new once pregnant is a no-no and for high impact workouts it's true but for gentle strengthening, conditioning, and stretching it's really important. Our homones wreck havoc on our joints and then there's carrying that extra 15+ pounds of fluid and an extra little body around. You have to care for your bits during this process! A walk sounds awesome. I have a benefit plan with my company that gives me $800/year in massage or perimedical as they call everything else like physio etc. and I've already zipped through it with the problems I've had with my back carrying DD. And I'm in shape and not in the slightest over weight...it can happen to anybody, do take care of yourself and enjoy that massage.

Sorry to hear you are in such pain.
I have had (what I think was) sciatica pain. I could barely walk, its even hard to sit up straight, leaning to one side helped but it was hard to get my back straight again when I need to reposition.
This has happened a few times, unsure of why, but I rotated heat pack for 10 mins with ice pack for 10 mins.
Try resting, even if you need to take a day or two off of work. Ice, heat and sleep helped me. Also you could try Tylenol. Best of luck!

I forgot to mention that I have a yoga ball at home and rolling my back on it with my feet planted on the ground also sometimes helps. Even forcing myself to lay flat on the hard ground, its difficult but it forces everything to straighten out and most of the time feels very relieving afterwards.

SOOO many women feel that taking up something new once pregnant is a no-no and for high impact workouts it's true but for gentle strengthening, conditioning, and stretching it's really important. Our homones wreck havoc on our joints and then there's carrying that extra 15+ pounds of fluid and an extra little body around. You have to care for your bits during this process! A walk sounds awesome. I have a benefit plan with my company that gives me $800/year in massage or perimedical as they call everything else like physio etc. and I've already zipped through it with the problems I've had with my back carrying DD. And I'm in shape and not in the slightest over weight...it can happen to anybody, do take care of yourself and enjoy that massage.

That is such a great provision! But I can imagine the money doesn't go all that far if you run into problems. I think I took for granted that pregnancy would be a breeze because I'm young and a healthy weight... so wrong! I shall have to relieve my OH from.doing all the dog walks! Thanks for the advice :)

Sorry to hear you are in such pain.
I have had (what I think was) sciatica pain. I could barely walk, its even hard to sit up straight, leaning to one side helped but it was hard to get my back straight again when I need to reposition.
This has happened a few times, unsure of why, but I rotated heat pack for 10 mins with ice pack for 10 mins.
Try resting, even if you need to take a day or two off of work. Ice, heat and sleep helped me. Also you could try Tylenol. Best of luck!

Thank you. The pain has actually eased up a little towards the end of the night, so hopefully it will have gone away by the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->