25 weeks?

Beltane

Mother of 3 Boys!
Reaction score
My brother-in-laws baby was born yesterday at 25 weeks. What are the typical chances for survival of a baby born this early? She is breathing on her own but I'm still wondering what will happen in the next 48 hours. Also, how long do they normally keep preemies in the hospital? A few months? Thanks in advance!

sorry i dont know the survival rates or how long they r in hospital but it sounds good that she is breathing on her own i just wanted to wish u and ur family all the best and i hope she goes from strength to strength all my love

This page might be helpful:
https://www.babylink.info/edinburgh/BabyOnUnit/Outcome.aspx

I couldn't find any more reliable statistics that used bigger samples, but it gives an idea.

Best wishes for the family xx

I dont have any advice or answers just wanted to wish her and family all the best x

congrats!! sorry she came so soon though :(
I dont have exact numbers on the survival rates.
But my daughter was born just short of 25 weeks. She was in the hospital 103 days. Almost 3.5 months. Preemies born this soon are going to have alot of ups and downs. But she sounds strong as she's breathing on her own already. My daughter was on the ventilator for just over a month and went home on oxygen. That had caused some problems but she's fine now!!
Prayers to your BIL and his family in this tough time :hugs: please keep us updated!

Hiya,
Every baby is different so it is impossible to say, which is why you also must not listen to any % rates of survival etc given by anyone. Having a premmie means you have to always be positive and take each day as it comes. Every baby is different so just trust in them and take it one day at a time.

Having a premmie so early does not mean that even if they come home there will be no problems found later on but so what . Our little one is now 18 months old and we have only just found out she has very mild cerebral palsy. We had a new Asian Doctor say she may not be normal as a result which we thought was a senseless thing to say, after all what is normal but she is doing very well
and it may probably not be very noticeable. It does not alter the fact we love her to bits
and with the physio she gets it may well be not even noticetable

She also wears hearing aids (moderate hearing loss) but they are really pretty pink ones , which are quite a fashion accessory these days. The Audiologists expected us to be devasted about her moderate hearing loss but it is no worse than myself needing to wear glasses.

Our little one was on oxygen from 24 weeks until 38 but then came off and came home without any warning at 39 weeks , one week early .

If its breathing on its own, that's a pretty good start. Its amazing what they can do now, so if the LO has got the fight, they'll help it.
As far as keeping Lo in the hospital, really depends on progress, but alot of babies come home around their due date.
Hope this helps, and sending lots of your your family's way! Hope everything is alright.
:hugs:

Sadly, the baby did not make it. She took a turn for the worst a few days ago and passed away. Thankyou all for your input though.

really sorry to hear that hun, my thoughts are with your family xxxx

im so sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you.
*hugs*

:hug: and prayers for you and your family. i hope your BIL and his wife stay strong as they go through this tough time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->