26 months. Sensory issues, aspergers, anxiety?

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
I need to decide whether to request an evaluation for my 26 month old and I'm wondering what you ladies would do, seeing as many of you have gone through this stage! Maybe it'll help me to gauge if it's worth it. Our GP knows barely anything about these things...

He's a chatty, healthy and happy guy. His speech is on track or above average and his understanding is fab. He gives good eye contact and follows social cues. We have the following concerns:

-Meltdowns lasting over an hour, quite frequently. Tantrum at least once a day, mostly several a day. These don't respond to comfort/reassurance/isolation/ignoring/cuddles etc
-Very reactive, mood changes quickly and very intense
-Lots of anxiety about most things
-Fears other children at times
-Phobias of balloons, anything spherical, anything that floats, anything that makes noises
-Unable to visit soft play centres etc because of anxiety/fear of noises. Will cling to me sobbing to go home even if we wait up to an hour/coax etc
-Flaps hands when excited/anxious/upset
-Reacts badly to changes in routine. To the point wheré he's telling me the neighbours need to put their bins out because it's Monday.
-Intense and frequent anger outbursts
-Never stops talking at home but won't talk at nursery or engage with group activity. He's been there since 13 months
-Nursery have expressed concern about his social interactions
-Very sensitive to noise
-Very sensitive to temperature
-Quirky mannerisms and speech

All these issues have been going on since he's been with us as well as very poor sleep before 1 year. He met all his motor milestones etc. He said his first words at 18 months and now speaks in full sentences. He displays empathy and social understanding

Does anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to go through seeing professionals if it wouldn't really help

:hugs:

He's so young I guess it's hard to really work out what's expected and what's not. My daughter went through a very tantrumy phase at 2 years old but a few of the points below are something I haven't experienced with either of my two;

-Unable to visit soft play centres etc because of anxiety/fear of noises. Will cling to me sobbing to go home even if we wait up to an hour/coax etc
-Reacts badly to changes in routine. To the point wheré he's telling me the neighbours need to put their bins out because it's Monday.
-Never stops talking at home but won't talk at nursery or engage with group activity. He's been there since 13 months
-Nursery have expressed concern about his social interactions
-Very sensitive to noise
-Very sensitive to temperature

The bin thing seems very intelligent for his age but also seems a very unusual thing for a 2 year old to worry about.

Hi I would ask, its similar to things my middle child's dealing with, and we found the occupational therapists' 2 hour sensory workshop an absolute god send, things you'd not think of doing which make the difference, very eye opening, asking for support has also led to support in other ways for other similar things which you've mentioned. You sound like you know something's off, mothers intuition. We found the health visitor the most clued up so that may be an idea. Best of luck to you

I would look into sensory processing disorder and get a screening done by an occupational therapist. In the United States, this can be done for free through the school system. Find out if there is some sort of early intervention where you are that you can contact.

So:
* Sensory issues - sounds like it
* Aspergers - You stated some key skills that would counter-indicate.
* Anxiety - That goes along with overwhelming sensory experiences.

Thanks all,

We have decided to mention our concerns to the health visitors and GP and hopefully we can get a referral for an assessment by an OT

He's finding nursery really hard and it's heartbreaking :(

Hi!
I used to work in OT with kiddos and it seems like your little one has more issues with sensory processing than Aspergers. Hopefully some sensory processing time with an OT will help. Try not to stress too much. The sensory therapy can be really effective :)

My 5 year old was just diagnosed with high-functioning asd and he is very smart and has decent social skills and will look people in the eye. It took us years of hearing "he'll grow out of it" or "We'll keep an eye on it" before his doctor finally referred us to someone who could diagnose him. You're his mother so you know him best. Don't second guess your instinct. At your son's age we were in the same boat- researching spd, wondering if he had it, unsure if we should insist something was wrong, wondering if our parenting just sucked... I wish I could give you an answer but it's so hard to know. Just keep advocating for him.

Agree with user above!

Every child is different. Only you know your kiddo <3

I personally would ask for a referral. What is the worst that can happen. If seen and all fine good or if problems arise things can be put in place to help. No harm done in having someone to come see him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->