26 week checkup + ques about leg swelling

princess2323

Finally a Mom
Reaction score
So yesterday i went in for my 26 week checkup and of course the ob scared me--- not to mention i hadnt seen this lady before ---my usual ob wasnt in----

so anyway---she measured me and like before i measured 2 weeks ahead---so she said i was measuring 28 weeks--- and she made me all nervous about it b/c she said i might have developed gestational diabetes b/c of how quickly i have been growing--- and said that she wanted me to do blood work the following week and to repeat the glucose test

she also said that she was going to monitor the baby's growth by having me do an ultrasound every two weeks and that i was to be scheduled for my first one before my 28 week appt.

so when i went home i looked up gestational diabetes and it said that babies whose mother's developed it during pregnancy were less likely to go full term b/c they would be huge and had to be delivered either c-section or a very painful vaginal-- and that they were usually induced early to prevent the baby from getting to large and that because of it they would have breathing problems upon birth--b/c their lungs would be slow to develop---
oh and that they were very likely to suffer from obesity and diabetes later in life
---so the least she could have done was kept her mouth shut until she was sure that thats what it was--- i wouldnt have minded doing the blood work and the glucose test again b/c i knew i would have to around this time--- its routine---but to tell me that and get me worried about it for nothing is just wrong---

so knowing me i was scared to death--- but then my mother was like u dont have it --- she's being rediculous and had me test my blood on those diabetes testers (my dad uses one of those accucheck ones)---and of course i was perfectly fine===even checked it twice--- in fact she was like---well u look more like ur on the low side --- she then had me pull up my pant leg and show her my legs and sure enough it was swelling --- and of course the ob never thought to ask if i had any swelling or anything--- so i guess my problem now is dealing with the swelling in my legs ---no wonder they hurt --- i thought it was just extra baby weight putting a strain on them---
besides it also explains the 10 lb weight gain this month--- mostly water weight of course

so when the ob noticed that i had gained 10lbs in one month at that visit yesterday she sat and told me that it was what i was eating and that i should watch what i ate--- and i was like well i eat like normal people... and she gave me nutritional advice about what i should and shouldnt eat and the whole time im thinking--- its not what i ate its how my body took it--- i dont eat a lot of junk food--- i dont drink pop and i certainly did not need to be told by her to watch my breads and rice--- what did she think---i sat around eating nothing but bread, pasta and rice--- i dont think so----

so anyway to make a long story short---- my ques. for u all is who has had or is having swelling in thier legs and has talked to their ob/doc/midwife and what did they advise u to do--- also how do u know how much swelling u have---do they test for it or anything-- has whatever advice they gave u worked for u or someone u know---

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->