2nd time mums - pushchair advice..

misslissa

TTC our first!
Reaction score
I'm really struggling to make a decision on my first pushchair. What would be your top tips? Did you go for the all singing all dancing travel system and regret it or did you think that was the best choice?

My thoughts are wanting something that will last a couple of years at least - is this practical or long term does every parent end up trading in for something basic?

Parent facing - how important was this for you when they were little?

Weight - I'd like as lightweight as possible but there are pushchairs I'd have in a shot if they weighed a bit less. Is the weight or the fold more important?

Wheel type - do the plain wheels do the job or is it worth trying to get something that can go over grass and a bit of gravel easily. So forever air v plastic I suppose is the question.

Think that's prob it? If it helps I'm torn between things like the baby jogger city mini gt, baby jogger versa, britax b ready, the new britax affinity that isn't out till this month, uppababy cruz. I think I'd like the flexibility of decent wheels really.

I bought a M&P sola, and while I do think it's a good pram/pushchair, there are a few things I've learned from it. While it is actually quite lightweight compared to a lot of prams (10kg I think), the size of it when folded makes it quite awkward to lift. But then I had a bad back after delivery, so that's probably part of it :shrug: The other thing is the wheels. I live in a rural area and the country roads aren't great with plastic wheels, though they're not terrible either. But then there are lots of positives about it too, and I think in all honesty there are going to be downsides to any pram.

I'm getting a double this time, and I've ended up going for a phil and teds navigator. Despite what I said about the weight it's actually heavier than the sola, but it has air tyres and feels light to push as a result. As i said, you have to compromise between the different things you want, and it seems to meet our overall needs well. You never really know what it's like till you use it though. :shrug:

One other thing to think about is if you plan to have kids close together, might a pram that can be converted to a double down the line be a good idea? :shrug:

I'm not planning on having any more children so I'm not worried about a double. Plus if I do change my mind I think I'd rather deal with that at the time - it's hard enough planning for this one!!

I think you are right, have to compromise. I'm honestly just sick of looking, it was exciting but now it's just tiring.

We bought the graco quattro tour deluxe travel system. It was ideal for when LO was little because we didn't need to wake him when moving from buggy to car etc. It was a bit heavy and clumsy to use and it also took up alot of space when folded so you needed a big boot.

When LO was about 9 months I switched to a wee cheap umbrella buggy which we have been using ever since. It was ok only getting about 9 months out of it because I didn't pay that much for the big one but I think if I had paid a lot I would have regretted it

I am now researching double buggies to use. Even more expensive!:dohh:

With baby#1 we bought a full travel system. Thankfully it was second hand and not very expensive, because I hated it! Far too bulky, both for transporting and pushing around shops etc and LO hated the carrycot, so that was a complete waste. I ended up carrying LO in the Moby (LOVED that, so much easier!) a lot of the time and when we did need a pram, we used the car seat on our light weight buggy (a Hartan I-Go, LOVE that as well).
When LO was getting older and could sit up in the pushchair, we sold the travel system (which had been gathering dust anyway) and bought an Obaby Zezu pramette. It's not the height of luxury but it's parent-facing (which was a must for me at that age), it's not as bulky as the big travel systems and it's easy to push.
One thing I've learned is that I really like single wheels, as opposed to double ones in the front. Somehow they steer so much easier. I also hated every three wheeler I ever tried (friends') and saw two of them nearly topple over when going down pavements.
It's hard making the right decision there I think. Personally I wouldn't go for a travel system again but people's needs and preferences are so different of course. What I would say is try to imagine what you'll be using the pram for when you test drive it. A big travel system might work fine on the shop floor but will it fit through narrow aisles, will you be able to park it in cafes, will it fit your car etc? Equally, something light weight might run well on floors but will it cope with country walks (if you're planning anyway)? Just try to think of all the scenarios you want it to work for and go from there.

P.S.: If I could do it all again, this would be my choice: https://www.preciouslittleone.com/p...tax-affinity-silver-pushchair-(fossil-brown)/

Does everything my I-Go does but additionally parent-faces and can be fitted with a carrycot. If only I had a spare £400...

I'm getting a loola. Folds umbrella fold, seat faces both ways and carrycot suitable for overnight sleeping

I've just reserved a britax affinity! God knows if its right but I'm happy to have made a decision and it ticks 95% of my boxes so that's it for me.

What a relief to have this ticked off the list!

I think the most important part for me was simpl fitting a carseat as when they so small i didnt want to wake him up each time to move him, and the iso fix base was truly the best baby purchase...two seconds to get him in and out of car...deff a must!!

We got a quinny buzz...and the hydrolic opening was good...it just seemed a bit of a faff...it too big to fit in either grandparents cars, and he only used the carry cot like 3 times and now it in stroller mode it just way to big and bulky.

so yea car seat and iso fix must everything else...meh.

Id go with a my4 which is compatiable with maxi cosi car seat. then get an easy fix base. u can click it out the car onto the frame. i got one when she was 6months n wish id done it sooner rather tham strugglin

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->