2wks PP, 2wks BFsurgery next wk! Help!

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
So like the title says im currently 2 weeks into breast feeding and next week I'm having surgery on my tailbone for a cyst that came during pregnancy.

I'm not going to be able to sit or lay on my back much if at all for a week. Recovery is 2-3 weeks. I'll have pain meds (oxycodein I think). Safe but can cause baby to get sleepy.

I have been anticipating this so I've been pumping already. I have 11 4-6oz bottles frozen. I'm going to continue to pump as much as I can.

I'm worried about pumping after since I'll be on my sides. I'm not sure how well that is going to work.

Any tips? Ideas? Things I should think about?

You can learn to feed laying down on your side, and also you can feed standing - particularly easy in a sling. I don't know about pumping be honest.
Xx

You could pump standing I'm sure, or maybe pump one side at a time when lounging in side lying semi reclined on a couch?

We have figured out the side lying BF. However, he has some reflux issues (that we will see the dr for today). I haven't figured out a good inclined side position to help with the reflux. Any idea? I think it's reflux atleast. He will throw up entire feeds sometimes. (Never consistent)

Also burping is a challenge. I'm trying to prop him up against my side but he's a mover and starts falling.

As I was typing originally I did think I could pump one side each time.

If I were to pump before I take more meds would that be better than right after? (Less meds in the milk?) I'm guessing I should pump in dump the closer to taking the meds then (depending on timing).

If I have to pump and dump is there a certain number of times I should try to feed directly a day to ensure he continues to accept the breast? We will end up doing bottles more after surgery but I don't want to exclusively pump either.

How soon after general anesestisa can he feed?

I have pumped standing in the kitchen (I got one of those "hands free" nursing bras), and I also have done the side-laying nursing position.

I hope your recovery is quick!!!! If you're worried about the pain meds., you could always pump and dump to keep your supply up and give formula (or half and half - formula/BM with the stuff you have frozen). :hugs:

I just talked to the Pediatrition . He said pump and dump. No feeding until 12-24 hours after the last dose!

Ahhhh this was not what I was planning!

I do have a sample of simulac breast feeding supplement formula. I really don't want to do formula. How much should I try to pump ahead/day? From my estimates when we have done a bottle he will eat 3oz in 15-30min but can do 6oz in an hour if he's hungry. (Like at night when he cluster feeds).

Today the dr gave him Zantac to help with what we think is reflux and it's possible he will slow down on how much he's eating due to the reflux.

This has truly thrown me for a loop! I have no idea about formula! I really want to avoid it at all costs!

The only formula that I've given my LO is the similac supplement for breast feeding mothers. He does fine on it. And to soften the "blow" (since some babies don't like formula) we mixed half BM with it at first. Now, he'll take it if we offer it to him...but its rare that we do.

Don't feel bad about giving formula for a few days. If you do half and half, you can extend the amount of time you give BM to him....it'll just be mixed in with formula. :hugs: Baby's gotta eat.

With my last post I meant to ask how you do that?

I pump right into the bottles we have (they are the kiinde bags with twist caps). Would I just add water and the formula into that? Then warm it up or vice versa (does it matter)?

Do I need to worry about him latching on afterwards? Recovery is 2-3 weeks. Will we have to start over?

I wish I could put the surgery off but with insurance, work and just the need to prevent the issue from recurring I need to do it now :( so bummed!

I've decided to try and pump just 2-3oz bottles. Then we can add 2-3 oz of formula if need be.
However I have 11 4-6 oz bottles pumped and frozen so far. Is there a way to thaw it and divide up those bottles so I can get 2 feeds out of them instead of just one? (Possibly adding formula to some.)

I know once thawed it can't be refrozen but, can it be refrigerated for a few hours?

Another issue I need help with is LO co sleeps. I usually have one breast out and he will just feed on and off (most likely due to his reflux yo help sooth his throat/tummy, but also just comfort).

With me on pain meds co sleeping is going to be too dangerous (they put me into a deep sleep) not to mention I can't offer him my breast. At night he won't take his nuk

Ideas how to make night time successful and safe? He also hates being swaddled now (crazy I know). He likes to have access to his arms. So our trick to get him to sleep doesn't work as he fights it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->