3 Day embryo V's Blast Transfers & twins

Sammy2009

Mum of 1 daughter,1 angel
Reaction score
I have just had EC today but don't know what to do... I want two embryos transfered but I know this might result in twins and after finding this...

https://www.advancedfertility.com/blastocystmultiples.htm

...I don't know if this is what I want. My doctor has already warned me off having 2 embryos transfered and said he is serious in the fact that it could end up affecting my health seriously, possibly fatally. OK so i know the fatalities don't happen all that often (neither does Hydrocephalus but OUR baby had it) but I do know they do! What with complications of Caesarian Section and increased chances of Gestational Diabetes and also I have read of several twin pregnancies resulting in chromosome defects such as Downs Syndrome, I don't know if I should risk it. I lost a baby at 24 weeks due to Hydrocephalus and I don't know if I could ever go through this heartache, bereavement and worry again. One baby would be perfect but now I have 5 failed procedures behind me and want to give myself the best chances.... i'm stuck! Any advice?

Hi Sammy, I think you need to trust your own instincts here.

My clinics preference is for single embryo transfer, always. However, if they get to day 3 & don't want to risk going to blast, sometimes they will put back two.

If there are enough going strong at day 3 for them to take the embies to blast, they are strict about only replacing one at day 5.

Think I completely agree with them & when my day comes, I'll let the embryologist guide me.
It's scary to think about the risks involved, but then we do google everything these days & our own education/specialities may not have given us the skills to be objective about what we read.

You've had two put back on two of your cycles now, how did you decide back then?

My thinking is that for a 1st cycle, just one (or 2 if not top grade), after a couple of failed cycles, I wouldn't be afraid to go for two. Obviously, take into account your own general health/age etc...

I probably haven't helped, but only you & your FS can decide what's right for you.

x

Hi Sammy, I think you need to trust your own instincts here.

My clinics preference is for single embryo transfer, always. However, if they get to day 3 & don't want to risk going to blast, sometimes they will put back two.

If there are enough going strong at day 3 for them to take the embies to blast, they are strict about only replacing one at day 5.

Think I completely agree with them & when my day comes, I'll let the embryologist guide me.
It's scary to think about the risks involved, but then we do google everything these days & our own education/specialities may not have given us the skills to be objective about what we read.

You've had two put back on two of your cycles now, how did you decide back then?

My thinking is that for a 1st cycle, just one (or 2 if not top grade), after a couple of failed cycles, I wouldn't be afraid to go for two. Obviously, take into account your own general health/age etc...

I probably haven't helped, but only you & your FS can decide what's right for you.

x

Well the first IVF of course we never knew what would happen and 2 x 3 dayers were put back and one attached and BFP. The second IVF was cancelled and IVF #@2 (again) we had 2 x 3 dayers put back. We have never taken the embies to blast stage before.

I am scared that if i take the risk and none of them make it to transfer that I will be kicking myself... also if we do and they both implant... well i guess we would have to accept that of course. I just dont know what to do... :dohh:

i know exactly what you mean sammy i am struggling with this decision too, firstly this will most likely be our only ivf unless we get to freeze some embryos because my husband is in the royal air force he has been given special permission to be taken off any deployments until the end of febuary so we can do our ivf, its not likely that they would do this for a second time and so i wouldnt be able to commit to another cycle in case he gets sent away, because of this i really feel that i would like 2 even if it is only a slight increase in the chance of getting a bfp and i would love to have twins but on the other hand i am worried about premature births and all the other health complications, i just dont know :hugs:

Remember there are a lot of natural twin pregnancies out there and most go quite well! Don't let them make you OVERLY paranoid!

HI Sammy
I can't really advice on this but I just wanted to say that I really hope this cycle works out for you. Wishing you all the very best hon xxxxx

Hi Sammy, I will be starting my 2nd cycle soon and have been thinking the same thing, When I had my 1st cycle we had 2 3dayers put back and I remember lying awake that night thinking Oh my God what if they both stick as fab as it would be to get that instant family I couldn't help but panic at the thought of the extra pressure. The way I see it if an embryo is strong and healthy it will make it if it's put back on day 3 or day 5 whether their is 1 or 2 so it just depends on what you get. We have decided to just have 1 put back the only thing that will change that is if they are of poor quality then i'd go for 2 but I wouldn.t bog yourself down with it just see what feels right at the time xxxx Good Luck with whichever you decide xxx

We have always had 2 put back on day 3.all top grade embies.the thing is our embies are fast developing and on day 3 they are compactin embies already so a day ahead of developement.the choice is yours really.there is always a chance of only one taking.havin 2 Put back doesnt increase the chances of twins by that much.even if you have one put back you can still have twins.

I had two put back and 1 stuck my decision was always two. But it is personal choice.. They advised me to have 1 as my age, but to be honest due to being private we opt for two xx

Thanks for all your replies :hugs:

Well today was the fertility report and we got 7 embies! :thumbup::happydance:

I had to make some tough decisions this morning and I hope i have made the right ones! (see update on page 1 of my journal) I have opted for two again mainly for the reason that I have to remember that i had two TX with the 1st IVF but only one stuck and 2 TX with the last IVF and that never even worked! I hope now on Monday there is two that are ok

Starbright - nice to see you again chick how you doing? :hugs:

Well done on how many embies you have.gl for et monday

Hope et went well today

Thanks Hayley... it sure did when we finally got there! God my hospital are so bad at communication its amazing! But all went fine... nice and smoothly and no pain! :hugs::hugs:

Hope your 2ww is going ok.gl for test day.its got to be soon

Hope your 2ww is going ok.gl for test day.its got to be soon

thanks hayley... i have already tested and its bfp but its too early to rely on the test being accurate as it could still be meds in my system from the pregnyl shot last friday. i guess only time will tell but for some reason and i dont know why i am not very confident this has worked again xxx

best of luck sammy x

thanks hun... im finding it hard to cope. i have no optimism at all. in fact there is a small chance i will die of shock if this stays positive but id rather let myself down gentally than one huge hype of an OTD only to be kicked swiftly in the teeth again. i hate this part... its the final hurdle of the procedure but i never seem to get over it! :(

Hi Sammy
Just been reading through your thread, I'm new to the site so trying to figure it all out!!
I remember thinking how many to transfer and after our first failed cycle with a single day 5 blasto, and how gutted I felt thinking it was sure to work!
So 2nd cycle I went for two I knew I'd kick myself if it failed thinking I should of gone for 2... Even tho they were blasto's I still had little hope.. The 2ww was a killer I felt nothing at all I didn't even feel the urge to test early.. So when test day arrived and it was a bfp I nearly hit the deck...! Then 7wk scan confirmed twins :)
I hope the next few days go super quick for you hun sometimes keeping level headed is the best way as like you say it's a little easier to deal with.. I'll keep my fingers crossed x x

Hi Sammy
Just been reading through your thread, I'm new to the site so trying to figure it all out!!
I remember thinking how many to transfer and after our first failed cycle with a single day 5 blasto, and how gutted I felt thinking it was sure to work!
So 2nd cycle I went for two I knew I'd kick myself if it failed thinking I should of gone for 2... Even tho they were blasto's I still had little hope.. The 2ww was a killer I felt nothing at all I didn't even feel the urge to test early.. So when test day arrived and it was a bfp I nearly hit the deck...! Then 7wk scan confirmed twins :)
I hope the next few days go super quick for you hun sometimes keeping level headed is the best way as like you say it's a little easier to deal with.. I'll keep my fingers crossed x x

oh hun thanks for posting... i did have two blasts tx in the end. i say i have no symptoms but i have pains but progesterone can cause them!

you have given me a little PMA with your story and i only hope and pray i end up as lucky as you! thanks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->