3 day old exposed to chicken pox

frangi33

Reaction score
We had our nephew visit yesterday for about an hour. He came late in the afternoon so I helped bath him with my lg whilst my husband entertained and looked after newborn.

Our nephew came downstairs and then threw up on the floor next to where I was sat with newborn. He then stayed another 30 mins dribbling on his toys that we keep specially for him before heading home.

He had a bit of a rash on him which we all thought was heat rash and as hes only 14 months old we assumed a bit of sick up could be down to the heat or teething.

Overnight his rash got a lot worse and his doctor confirmed it as chicken pox this morning.

Now I feel absolutely awful that my newborn was exposed and I allowed a 14 month old to visit :(

I just peeked on the NHS website and it said that newborns can have special risks if they get chickenpox and to seek medical advice if exposed. I'd just call up your doctors surgery and see what they say

you need to call up your doctors hun for immediate advice which bub being so young. <3 xx

Weve spoken to doctors and hospital and there is nothing to do but wait. I feel so bad for him if he's caught it

:hugs: dont feel bad hun there was no way you could know. best thing you can do just now is steralise everything your nephew came into contact with use an antiseptic spray to kill any lingering germs xxxx

We had our nephew visit yesterday for about an hour. He came late in the afternoon so I helped bath him with my lg whilst my husband entertained and looked after newborn.

Our nephew came downstairs and then threw up on the floor next to where I was sat with newborn. He then stayed another 30 mins dribbling on his toys that we keep specially for him before heading home.

He had a bit of a rash on him which we all thought was heat rash and as hes only 14 months old we assumed a bit of sick up could be down to the heat or teething.

Overnight his rash got a lot worse and his doctor confirmed it as chicken pox this morning.

Now I feel absolutely awful that my newborn was exposed and I allowed a 14 month old to visit :(

Hi,

The exact situation occurred when my first child was five days old. What didn't help at the time was I suffered from baby blues so the effects of exposing a newborn to chicken pox made me worry that extra bit more. Thankfully she was fine. I pray your baby will be fine and unaffected too

When my dd3 was a newborn, I thought my dd3 had chickenpox (turned out it was HFM) and I phoned the midwife and asked for advice. She wasnt sure so she got a GP on the phone to me. I was told that as newborns, they still carry some of the mothers immunity, so if you have had chickenpox yourself before, the chances of baby catching it are extremely small. I was told not worry, there wasnt much I could do! (thankfully she avoided the HFM, too)

I hope your little one is OK! My ds2 caught chicken pox when my dd was 6 weeks old. Thankfully she never caught it though. If you're breastfeeding, baby will get antibodies through your milk too.

My ds was exposed to chickenpox at a few weeks old. We attended a play date with one of my dd's friends and the next day got a call to say she had come out in spots and it was CP. I spent three weeks stressing about wether he was going to get it but in the end he didn't. I think they still carry some immunity when they are very small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->