3 month old with dislocated hip/impending op and hip spica

Buttercup84

2 girls, 1 boy
Reaction score
Hi all, figured this forum was the best place to post :flower: My 3 month old DD was diagnosed with a dislocated left hip at 11 weeks old and put into a pavlik harness for 3 weeks which failed (we did expect this outcome as we were told the chances of it working were very slim) and now we're waiting for her operation date. She'll be having a closed or open reduction (they'll perform an arthrogram and do whatever is needed) in February or March followed by 6 months in a full hip spica cast then 6-8 weeks in a smaller one. Anyone have any experience/advice? I'm feeling a bit daunted by it all but trying to get as informed and prepared as possible before her operation date.

Hi there, Hopefully someone knowledgeable in spica casts will come along but if not have you had a look on the steps website?. I found it really useful as my boys were born with dislocated hips. They were fortunate to only need the harness for a few months. I hope your lo op and recovery goes well.

https://www.steps-charity.org.uk/How-We-Help/a-guide-to-developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip.html

Hi :wave:

My DD2 had a closed tendoptamy(?) was in the spica cast for 16 weeks followed by the abduction brace for 8 weeks full time and then 8 weeks at night! She had the op just before she was 6 months old, she's now 4 and they are very happy with her progress.

Fire away with any questions, or you can PM me if you prefer xxx

DS had bilateral hip dysplasia. They didnt even bother with pavlik harness it was that bad.

Before turning 2 he was operated on at Great Ormond Street Hospital. One side first, followed by 4weeks in spica. Then other side followed by 6 week spica. Then change to broomstick cast for 6 weeks.

After that intense physiotherapy.

DS has muscular dystrophy as well so progress has been slow. 1.5 years on he isnt 100% yet regarding his hips, but i believe kids with only hip dysplasia bounce back quickly.

I found the steps website very helpful; especially regarding toiletting, washing, car seats etc.

Its harder on the parents I think because kids are such troopers.

Read as much as you can beforehand so you are prepared, but dont worry too much, its fairly common ��

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->