33 Week Update & GD Test

kmpssbl

Mother of 1, TTC for #2
Reaction score
Hi ladies, hope everyone is having a great night :) Just wanted to post an update.

Yesterday, I had my 33 week checkup. Each appointment, my OB asks if I had the chance to do the glucose test. Now I know this is kind of a controversial issue, so I won't really get into it. Originally I was going to opt out of it, because hubby and I believe in making our decisions when it comes to things like this. When I told her I was not intending on doing it, she then told me that if I don't do the 1 hour test, then I will have to be considered diabetic, which meant pricking myself 4 times a day, and checking in twice a week to be monitored at the doctor. We called bull. I know tiny pregnant women like myself can still get GD, but I wasn't worried. So the nurse came in to prick my finger and test my blood, which was below the diabetic number. What I was annoyed at was the fact that I was never told about this in the very first place when it was suggested I get the test. Otherwise, I would have done it a long time ago!

After the appointment, we went next door to the lab and just decided to do the 1 hour test. I wasn't looking forward to getting my blood drawn again, because the first one resulted in me almost hyperventilating and getting a nasty bruise. This time around, though, the nurse talked me through it and it wasn't bad at all! So after having been poked and prodded within 2 hours, we were headed home.

Got the call today that my blood work was normal, but that I am anemic. I kind of had a clue that maybe I was anemic, but never really did anything about it. My OB suggested I take 325mg of iron each day now. What boggles my mind is why it wasn't brought up the first time I had blood work done (when they drew 8 freaking viles!). I was told at that time that everything was normal. Oh well. I have no giant bruise this time, and I am glad I was right about my risk of GD. But I will still try to watch my diet a little better. That is going to be so hard with the holidays rolling around lol!

Well, I hope all you ladies have a wonderful night, and thanks for reading :) Oh, I had my baby shower Sunday and got lots of great stuff! Struggling to get the nursery organized lol. Good thing my mom and sister are helping! Our maternity pictures are scheduled for Nov. 16th, so I am excited for that. Good night! :happydance:

Glad you don't have GD. Pregnancy changes a lot do it's possible you weren't anemic when they did your bloodwork before.

In general it sounds like you're doing well. If you're increasing iron they often recommend taking vitamin c to help the body utilize the iron. Make sure you're getting lots of water and fiber to counteract all that iron too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->