36+3 and feeding a sleepie preemie

beachlover1

Pregnant and mummy of one
Reaction score
Hi there I realise my premie is only just a preemie but I guess one never the les. He is now a week old and I find him soo sleepy on the day I have to wake him for a feed!! It's a blimin nightmare waking him up.. Cold water etc etc!! During the night he wakes 4 hourly for a feed no problem. I'm getting about 2 Oz down him each feed (60ml) and still don't really know I'd thAt's enough? Anyone else had experience with this age preemie? Werethey sleepie and what amount did they eat?
I'm expressing and giving formula as my milk is so low and he just can't get to grips with BF although he did it last night so we might be getting there !

I had him by "non emergency, emergency c section" ie they found I had previa after a bleed and had to get him out sooner rather than later x

I think Sophie was on about that amount each feed at that stage - but she was born at 27 weeks weighing just 1lb 13 so I don't know if that makes a difference as she was tube fed till around then. She now has a corrected age of 4 weeks and I'm trying to bf but any time she gets a bottle she takes anything between 50ml and 120ml! They said she'd take time to get the hang of being in control of her own appetite!

Sorry not to have been more help - and congratulations on your baby :)

Anna is on 50ml 3 hourly.
She will Not wake up for her 2 and 5am feeds so still has the tube, ok so she's not out of hosp yet but I will be watching with interest!
Changing her nappy does not even wake her enough to take a bottle at 5am.

Finlay would never wake for feeds, he was only just a premie like yours. The HV said to wake him up and strip him off so he stays awake but even that wouldnt work all the time. I would say 2oz is OK for that age, and trust me he soon learnt to wake up screaming when he was hungry lol

My two were very sleepy and still are, they never used to wake for feeds but they do now which is good. Try not to worry as long as your bubs is having nice wet nappies he isnt dehydrated. At 37 weeks gestational age ( born at 34 weeks) my two were on about 50mls each every 4 hours. :) Mine are now 14 weeks and Poppy is on 5oz though sometimes takes just 3oz and Noah is on 6oz xxx

Harrison was born at 36+3 and was only taking 15 - 30 mls every 3 hours until he was 2 weeks old hes now 8 weeks old and taking 5oz every 3/4 hours. He would never wake for a feed and it would take an hour to feed him 30mls! So id say thats fine, but im not an expert obviously! Pm me if you wanna chat about it
xxx

Hi, My little guy was born at almost the same gestation and for 2 long weeks didn't want to take any formula. We had to use cold water, hold him outward, wake him to feed (what a pain all this was and not enjoyable).

We would have to wake him for feeds every 3 hours in the special care nursery (btw that was the only thing keeping him there!). The nurses kept assuring me the light would go on and he'd just start to drink.

They say the problem is worse in little white baby boys lol....anyway at 12 days in, the light went on and Brandon "woke up". He started wanting and taking his feeds like he should and after 2 days he went home.

Hang in there, your LO wasn't ready to come out and hasn't truly been born yet, it will come.

Brandon is now 8 weeks old and gaining like mad and def lets us know when he wants to drink and takes about 4-5 ounces still every 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->