• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

37 weeks today and dilating

FaithnHope41

Expecting Baby #3
Reaction score
Today marks 37 weeks for me and I am finally feeling like my body is ready to give birth (painful pelvis and hips, baby has dropped). Went to my weekly appointment this past Thursday and was expecting to hear anything about progress, and to my surprise found out I am dilated to an easy 1 and completely favorable. Doctor said baby could come at any time. This seems so early to me compared to my previous pregnancies with my boys. I didn't start dilating with my youngest until 38w5d and was barely a 1 with him, then went into labor 4 days later. I know all pregnancies are different, but what do you gals think? I know you can be dilated for several weeks with no progress, I'm just super curious now wondering if it is going to be any day or if it will end up closer to induction date.

Good luck hon. U can be dilated for weeks or it may be a sign things are about to start. I was 2cm dilated with my DD at 35 weeks. I was induced 4 days later but they only had to break my waters.
I do wonder if u wud of gone into labour with her early if I wasnt induced ?
I've never gone into labour early b4. I'm always a 40 weeker. Just my 2 inductions I was early.
Good luck hon. Not long now.
Is this one ure last or do u think ure have another?

I was at a 3 for weeks baby came 3 days before due date lol I think it just depends on your body

I've not had my cervix examined on this pregnancy! But in sure I've dilated even just a bit due to all these on off contractions. With my second I was 3cms dilated from about 36 weeks I think it was, he lasted until the end so dont worry :haha:

I've not had my cervix examined on this pregnancy! But in sure I've dilated even just a bit due to all these on off contractions. With my second I was 3cms dilated from about 36 weeks I think it was, he lasted until the end so dont worry :haha:

Its weird how they dont check you isnt it. They never checked me for dilation. The 3 times I was admitted for contractions all they did is use a spectrum and had a look and they never once did it with there fingers to stretch it to see how much dilated.
They waited until I was induced and checked to see if they cud go ahead and break my waters.
I was gutted when I was told i was only slightly dilated and my cervix needed to shorten more.
I just dont understand it what with all them contractions.
Its frustrating

I really don't think it means much, my cervix was high and tight shut when my midwife examined me with my second (as I was having regular contractions) so she wasn't sure if I was really in labour but DD was born 6 hours later lol. It can stay the same for a while or change really quickly.

Thanks gals! Yes I know it really could mean anytime or a few weeks still lol! I'm actually hoping baby will bake in there for at least one more week! Everyone thinks it is going to happen like today, but I'm not feeling that :lol:

Went back in yesterday afternoon and went from a 1 to 2 in four days. Dr. doesn't think it will be this week but said there's a good chance for next week! We will see! Either way, we will be seeing little one in less than 14 days :)

I second this. I actually had the exact same experience and had to be induced at 40+4 because I was sitting on 6cm and nothing was happening

Last night ended up in the hospital being monitored for contractions that were timing 3-4 minutes apart. Cervix did not change while I was there, so I was sent home. Said to come back in when contractions became stronger and more painful.

HOWEVER, thank God we went in because as I was being discharged, the nurse came in and said the doctor on the floor wanted to see me before we left. Thought that was weird considering we were about to walk out the door.

The doctor came in and said he had noticed several dips in the baby's heart rate while I was being monitored and wanted to do a sonogram to check everything. Found out there are some concerns with my amniotic fluid being a bit too low. I have also struggled with gaining weight this pregnancy. I had topped at about 13 pounds a few weeks ago, then had the thrombosed hemorrhoid issue that nearly landed me in the hospital for surgery which I opted out of, and lost almost 5 pounds due to the severity of the pain. So my total weight gain is only at around 8-9 pounds right now. Never even though of it possibly being partial to low amniotic fluid, but my dr had checked it at 32 weeks as well as the size of the baby and all was fine then. I haven't noticed any loss of fluids. In fact, I don't believe I have even lost my mucus plug yet or had the bloody show.

So tomorrow, I will be spending the afternoon at my OBGYN's office to be monitored again and to have another sonogram and get checked. I'm sure all is ok, but I can't help but be nervous due to the doctor's concerns. I just keep telling myself that if it was that bad they would have induced me while I was there last night. And if tomorrow shows more or less fluid, I will either be scheduled to be induced sooner or we will stick to our original induction date unless babe decides to arrive sooner.

Praying all is well and that we can just continue to wait for little one to make his or hers appearance when they are ready. <3

How scary! :(
I hope that everything goes well tomorrow

Oh gosh hun I hope your okay! It sounds like they will probably end up inducing you if this carries on

Let us know how u get on tommorow hon. They will induce you if there concerned for sure.

We did have 2 ladies in my October thread that had the same problem. Babies were fine tho one was induced at 37 weeks and the other went over due so either way u know u have got this far and baby is full term now so dont be disappointed if they do decide to induce you hon.
Please keep us posted

Today marks 37 weeks for me and I am finally feeling like my body is ready to give birth (painful pelvis and hips, baby has dropped). Went to my weekly appointment this past Thursday and was expecting to hear anything about progress, and to my surprise found out I am dilated to an easy 1 and completely favorable. Doctor said baby could come at any time. This seems so early to me compared to my previous pregnancies with my boys. I didn't start dilating with my youngest until 38w5d and was barely a 1 with him, then went into labor 4 days later. I know all pregnancies are different, but what do you gals think? I know you can be dilated for several weeks with no progress, I'm just super curious now wondering if it is going to be any day or if it will end up closer to induction date.

It's really normal for you to be dilated a little much earlier with subsequent pregnancies. One cm is actually pretty surprising to me! With my fourth I was at a 4 by 37 weeks. And with the last, I was 4 at just 36 weeks (Rajeev came by emergency c-section due to low fluid, probable membrane tear/rupture, and presenting hand-first a few days after that appointment.)

You know that things can change quickly, and your doc is right to tell you it could be any time just so you can get everything that needs doing done with time to spare, but I would think that it'll be later rather than sooner.

I hope you have a good, easy birth when baby does decide it's time!

Thanks ladies. Will keep you all posted. I have my head up high that all will be ok and I have been praying an awful lot over the last 24 hours. I trust the doctor to make the best decision today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->