4/5 engaged..???

pinkprincess1

Reaction score
At my midwife appoint last week head was free today's appoint 4/5ths engaged.. what does this actually mean??

i had this written in my notes yesterday too. I think it means 4 5ths of the babies head is still out of the pelvis... I think thats right lol. So 0/5 would mean fully engaged..

Yep, it means babies head is 1/5th engaged so they can still feel 4/5th of its head outside the pelvis.

Aww bloody hell thought i was nearly there then... so why dont they just say 1/5 engaged lol instead of confusing people lol lol x
Thanks ladies x

Its so confusing...

4/5th engaged (also written as 1/5th palpable) meens 1/5th of the baby's head is inside of the pelvis and 4/5ths is free and able to be felt.

1/5th engaged (also written as 4/5th palpable) meens 4/5th of the baby's head is inside of the pelvis, that's as much as a baby will engage until labour starts, so basically if your midwife writes 1/5th ceph in your notes, your baby is ready and in poition for labour.

Hope this helps x

Yeah it does tganks hun xx
Just slightly gutted now lol thought we may be almost there hehehe xx

When I Saw the midwife a few weeks back, my Baby was 4/5th palpable which meant she could still feel 4/5th above my pelvis (so Baby was 1/5 engaged).

At my most recent appointment Baby had moved down and was 4/5th engaged, midwife could only feel 1/5th above my pelvis.

The thing to look for is whether it says palpable or engaged next to the numbers your mw has written x

I think you might have your palpable and engaged the wrong was around? 4/5 engaged means only 1/5 can be felt outside the pelvis.

1/5 engaged means 4/5 can be felt outside The pelvis x

Its so confusing...

4/5th engaged (also written as 1/5th palpable) meens 1/5th of the baby's head is inside of the pelvis and 4/5ths is free and able to be felt.

1/5th engaged (also written as 4/5th palpable) meens 4/5th of the baby's head is inside of the pelvis, that's as much as a baby will engage until labour starts, so basically if your midwife writes 1/5th ceph in your notes, your baby is ready and in poition for labour.

Hope this helps x

At my midwife appoint last week head was free today's appoint 4/5ths engaged.. what does this actually mean??

I think you're the same as me hun if it says 4/5 engaged - baby is almost fully engaged and ready for labour :)

I think you're the same as me hun if it says 4/5 engaged - baby is almost fully engaged and ready for labour :)

4/5ths means only a bit of LO's head is engaged in the pelvis ready for labour. 1/5th or 0/5ths means LO is deep in the pelvis ready to go. Although LO can be 1/5th and not come for weeks!

Sorry - it depends on whether it has palpable or engaged next to the numbers. I asked my mw about it at my last appointment. She told me that babies head was 4/5 engaged and that 1/5 was all that could be felt above my pelvis.

4/5ths means only a bit of LO's head is engaged in the pelvis ready for labour. 1/5th or 0/5ths means LO is deep in the pelvis ready to go. Although LO can be 1/5th and not come for weeks!

Yeah, as Bun87 said there seems to be some confusion between engaged & palpable with a few people giving advice the wrong way round!!!If your notes say 4/5 'engaged' it means 4/5 is down in pelvis and only 1/5 can still be felt. On the other hand if 4/5 is 'palpable', it means that 4/5 of babies head can still be felt outside pelvis and only 1/5 is actually engaged - down in pelvis. If you think what the words actually mean its quite simple. Palpable means 'can be felt' and engaged refers to it being in place/embedded... So yeah, to answer ops question - 4/5 engaged is almost fully engaged :) and only a small amount of baby's head can still be felt.

Wow deffo alot of confusion in regards to this lol
It deffo says 4/5 engaged. :) so hopefully not be too long lol
I think they need to explain things alot more instead of expecting us to just know.

Thanks for all your responces ladies much appreciated x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->