4 Month old doesnt want to breastfeed anymore?

octoberbaby2

Reaction score
My 4 month old son was doing fine breastfeeding until about 2-3 weeks ago. He was getting one bottle of formula a day at bedtime up until then. Now he really does not want to breastfeed and will only be happy with his bottle. It makes me feel bad that I cant give him what he wants.

I try to offer him the breast throughout the day and maybe he will take it 3 times a day then at nighttime feedings say around 4 or 5 am.
Is there anyone else in a similar situation? I would really rather him breastfeed because it protects him from all the germs going around.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

-Thanks!

I would stop offering bottles and just offer breast as often as you can until he starts taking it.

Yes I would stop the bottles and try to breastfeed as much as possible. Try breastfeeding in a dark and quiet room so that he isn't distracted by anything. And skin to skin contact is good too for breastfeeding :thumbup:

I agree with the other pp. The difficulty with mixing formula and breastmilk is that formula keeps lo full for a longer period of time, which sends the message that not as much milk needs to be produced. This may decrease your supply in general.

To combat this if you want to continue with the bottle of formula, pump when you give a bottle, and a couple hours after the bottle of formula (essentially when your baby would feed if it was just breastmilk).

Problem is, it is not an exact science, so the simplest route would probably be to just feed on demand and forget the formula for now. Trust me, I made this mistake with my ds1 and lost my supply entirely. Formula does have its advantages, but if you want to breastfeed, I would take this route.

Just my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->