4 month old won't nurse anymore!

Rachel320

Reaction score
Looking for advice...
My baby is 4 months old today and for the last month has nursed less frequently during the day but nursing LOTS during the night. She continues to gain weight so it was never a concern until a week ago when she really hardly wanted to nurse at all during the day and screaming when I tried to. I was getting so little sleep that I started giving her a bottle of formula at night which she drank (she is used to getting bottles at weekends when I express).
Yesterday, as an experiment, I offered her a bottle of expressed milk after she refused nipple and she drank 100mls...what's going on!?
Today she wouldn't really suckle much at all and just screamed every time I tried but then took lots of EBM. She's also started biting my nipples and smiling when she does it.
I went through a lot of pain and heartache to get breastfeeding established and now I'm feeling so sad that she doesn't want to nurse anymore I love breastfeeding and will of course express if she won't nurse but I want her on me, not a bottle. It's making me so sad x

Annalise went through a few days like that then just went back to nursing like normal. I have no idea why.

Sounds like a nursing strike?? My understanding is that keep offering and she should come around again. Don't give up, especially if you aren't ready to see your breastfeeding journey end. I hope someone comes along that can give some better advice.

Thanks ladies. I'm going to a breastfeeding clinic on Tuesday so hoping to get some help. I'd like to breastfeed until she's 1 at least so really desperate to sort this.
Just odd that she'll nurse during the night but not much in the day. She was constantly getting up to feed during the night which was initially why I started using bottle more often!

My little boy (18 weeks) does this frequently. It's like he goes through a phase every few weeks where he will only feed for a few minutes then unlatches and quite often fights me. My HV says it's because he's nosy, the breastfeeding support woman says it's because he's getting too much foremilk. I've given up trying to understand it tbh. I just roll with it. If he isn't bothered I try the other side, still not bothered I'll leave it a while and try again. I often find if I can get him to sleep he'll feed better after a nap. He's putting on weight and does have a bottle every evening of expressed milk so he seems ok and I know he gets one decent feed. I co sleep after his first night feed (we're going through the regression so that can be really early at the moment) so some nights he literally helps himself all night like he's at a self service buffet 😂. So my advice is just persevere basically. If she's biting could be teeth coming too

Mine occasionally did this between 4 and 5 months. I, too, went through some struggles just to be able to breastfeed at all, so that was just more heartbreak! DD's issues seem to be reflux-related, though. Has she ever shown any signs of reflux? Usually that applies to both breast and bottle, but there were times she would refuse the breast and take a bottle. It's probably not the case for you, but thought I'd offer some kind of possible explanation.

It is pretty common for babies to nurse more at night in general as your supply is better then. Is she overstimulated? If there's loads going on it might be that she's just too excited. Do you nurse differently in the day to how you do at night? If you snuggle up with her in bed at night but sit upright in a chair, for example, during the day it might just be that it's that closeness she craves. Could be worth an experiment? If you get the opportunity it might be good to have a "baby moon". Stock up on films and food and just chill out for a couple of days - no pressure, unrestricted access to the breast etc and see what works. Good luck lovely, you're doing ace xx

Thank you all SO much for all the lovely comments. I have really focused on feeding this week and the last couple of days there's been a good improvement which will hopefully last. She's been napping in the carrier lots and when she wakes up I immediately feed her and sing to her and that seems to work (with a bit of luck and effort). The reflux thing might be an issue but I can't say she spits up an abnormal amount. Some days are worse than others but that's all babies right? Mostly she just spits up about a teaspoon of milk twice a day...dont think I could call that reflux could I? She's very windy which I think bothers her and she passes a lot of wind during the night. Not much I can do about that though! X

It could just be the wind! My baby doesn't normally spit up a lot either. Some days are worse than others, like you said, but it certainly isn't excessive and not enough to be the cause of slow weight gain. But a lot of trapped wind can cause similar symptoms! I hope DD continues to do better for you! My baby loves to be sung to as well. <3

It is quite a common time for use of bottles/pumping or pacifiers to start impacting on supply, causing fussy feeders frustrated by slow flow of milk. This isn't meant as a guilt trip, there are many reasons people express/use bottles/use pacifiers but they can have impacts on milk production. Trying to focus on direct feeding like you have been seems a good idea. Being distracted by the world is another common complaint and can add to the issues caused by low supply as it's even harder to get them to feed more successfully. You are doing great so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->