4 Weeks Pregnant Low HCG - Anyone else?! Previous Miscarriage and Ectopic Pregnancy

angelbabyz

Reaction score
Hi,

Although I've read a million threads, I haven't ever posted one, so this is my first.

In short, I have lost 2 pregnancies this year. The first was an early miscarriage (5-ish weeks) and the second was an ectopic pregnancy (6 to 6 1/2 weeks). I was given methotrexate to treat the ectopic. Per my Dr, I had to wait 6 months to TTC again and I got pregnant instantly! I am currently 4 weeks 1 day pregnant and am worried about my HCG results. I had a beta done yesterday and today I got the results back and they are only 49. I also have cramping and pain in my left ovary area. My dr is doing another beta on Thursday, which will be 72 hours after the first one.

Has anyone else had a low beta at 4 weeks 0 days and gone on to have a successful pregnancy?

With my low beta and pain, I am not too hopeful but I am wondering how in the world can this be happening AGAIN.

I've had one successful pregnancy, and she's a happy and healthy 3 year old :)

With my early miscarriage, my pregnancy tests didn't darken very much, but I did get a positive digital. With the ectopic, my tests darkened like normal and this time, they are darkening as well.

My LMP was Sept 26th and I got a positive OPK on Oct 11th with strong ovulation pains on Oct 12th.

Anyone's past experience, good or bad, would be so very welcomed.

Thank you so much!

This pregnancy, I had an hcg of only 48 at 4 weeks, but now I have a wiggly, squirmy 12w5d baby!

Hi! Congratulations on your bfp :) I don't have much experience because this is my very first pregnancy, after just getting off birth control and trying for a month....and I am about 7 weeks now but I had a pretty low initial hcg blood draw too, lower than yours in fact (42). And I had that at about 5 weeks (according to them, but I believe I ovulated late so it was more like 4 weeks at that time). Anyway, I too have been worried nonstop about that number but the nurse who took my blood (who was 20 weeks preg at the time) told me that her initial draw was really low and she freaked out, and then her next was much higher, and even higher after. Although I haven't gone back for another draw it relaxed me a little to hear that, so maybe in your case too it was just early and the hormones were off to a slow start. I chose to wait for my 8 week apt which is next week to get more blood taken. Its been a hard few weeks but I havent had any bleeding, any pain, just straight, textbook pregnancy symptoms. So I am trying to relax and think positive that it was an early detected pregnancy and when I go back the numbers will be where they should. And anyone here will tell you that you cant base anything on one number, its if they are doubling every few days. So don't panic....try and be positive :) Keep me updated as I'm in the same boat so I know how you feel. xoxox

This pregnancy, I had an hcg of only 48 at 4 weeks, but now I have a wiggly, squirmy 12w5d baby!

Congrats PoodleMommy!!!! That's so sooo exciting :) And thank you for that info, I think it will make both of us girls feel more at ease :hugs:

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to know that others have had low HCG results and have gone on to have normal pregnancies. They initially tested my HCG because of my previous ectopic and the pain I am having now, but I never expected it to come back that low! I figured she would give me a result of a couple hundred, not a piddly 49!! I'm praying that my numbers double in the 72 hour period.

I guess the possibility of ectopic is what scares me so much. I could deal with another miscarriage, but to wait another 6 months after an ectopic would make me insane! The methotrexate given to correct the ectopic can cause major birth defects so my dr had me wait 6 months. To do that again would seem like forever!

I am a pee on a stick aholic and they are increasingly darker each day, so it seems like my HCG should be going up. UGH, the wait is so annoying!! haha!

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to know that others have had low HCG results and have gone on to have normal pregnancies. They initially tested my HCG because of my previous ectopic and the pain I am having now, but I never expected it to come back that low! I figured she would give me a result of a couple hundred, not a piddly 49!! I'm praying that my numbers double in the 72 hour period.

I guess the possibility of ectopic is what scares me so much. I could deal with another miscarriage, but to wait another 6 months after an ectopic would make me insane! The methotrexate given to correct the ectopic can cause major birth defects so my dr had me wait 6 months. To do that again would seem like forever!

I am a pee on a stick aholic and they are increasingly darker each day, so it seems like my HCG should be going up. UGH, the wait is so annoying!! haha!

I could not agree with you more! Waiting is the worst. Look at it this way, least you don't have to wait weeks like me!! I could have insisted but insurance would not have covered it, and I felt like I wanted to try and be calm whenever I could force myself. I willl be praying for MUCH higher numbers for us both next time, and happy healthy babies we both deserve :hugs:

I'm glad you have almost made it to your 8 week appointment. You have a lot of courage to wait that long for another HCG test. I don't really have a choice, really, as they are trying to make sure I don't have another ectopic.

When you first started testing, were your lines really light? Like at 4 weeks? I was 4 weeks yesterday, but I tested positive on Friday (a few days before my missed period and 9 DPO). It was SOOOO light but today's test was pretty dark. Not as dark as the control line, but pretty dark. With my ectopic, the lines got really dark, so I don't know why I am torturing myself by peeing on a stick daily (actually LOTS daily!!!).

Lots of sticky dust to you! It's so crazy to me how some people get pregnant so easy, have tons of kids and never think twice about it - then some of us have so many problems!

I'm so thankful for my daughter, and if she's the only one I ever have, that's ok but man, I'd sure like to make her a big sister!!!

Aww I'll be hoping and praying you get your wish :) You've certainly been through enough already! My first HPTs were the clearblue kind (well you can see in my pic lol) and they just say 'pregnant', so I did 3....3 days in a row and they all came out pregnant. When I went to the dr in the next few days for confirmation, they have the kind with the lines and they said it was a very faint line. So thats why I figure maybe not loads of the hormone yet. I truly hope all is well because I love this little rasberry so much already!! Fingers crossed for us both xoxo

I should have stuck with only doing digital ones too!

The other two times, I didn't let myself get excited or attached, but this time I feel different. Maybe it'll all work out.

You'll have to let me know how your appointment goes in a week! I wish you luck! They are going to give me an early ultrasound at 5 or 6 weeks, depending on what my HCG comes back as. They want to make sure the bean is in the right place but the dr said if they give me one now, they won't be able to see anything this early.

Is there a machine to fast forward time?! If so, I'd LOVE to know where to buy it!!!

Ahh how I wish!! This first trimester is the slowest time in my life so far!! Please be in touch after Thursdays results come back as I'll be thinking of you. Can't wait to deliver some new news of my own as well....tired of worrying about this!!!!

My dr's office is slow at getting me my results so it will probably be friday when I find out!

When is your appointment?

GOOD LUCK!

Mine is Wednesday November 2nd. I pray they will have my results by Friday, but mine is slow as well. Plus, i don't even really know what happens in the official "8 week initial OB" visit anyway, so who knows what other results I willl be waiting for and stressing over!! :wacko:

Well, good luck to you! We'll have to keep in touch after our appointments and tests!

You're on the low side of normal for that time frame....being off even a day can change things a lot. Your first number isn't what is really important. It's more important what your 2nd draw looks like compared to the first!!! I've seen lower numbers go on to be successful!!!

However, I've experienced a loss and I know how difficult it is to remain positive and worry free in other pregnancies. I'm 8 weeks 3 days today.....saw the babies HB and heard it on high risk equipment at 6 weeks and 3 days....and I still worry every single day.

Anyhow, good luck to you! Things sound good so far!!!

I'm pretty certain I know when I ovulated but I'm hoping I'm off a day or 2 (in my favor!!).

Congrats on your pregnancy. I think whenever I end up carrying a baby to term, I'll worry every single second until I have it in my arms :)

Hi,
My hcg level was normal so I can't help you there... but I'm also four weeks today and been having cramping and pain in my left and right ovary. It's on and off, switches sides. I'm thinking it's very normal at this point! Good luck!

FrankieGirl16 - CONGRATS on your BFP! I hope all is well with your pregnancy! My pain started out on the right and the left. It started during ovulation and never went away. I ahd a very painful ovulation for some reason. The right side seems to have quit hurting but the left side is still hurting! I am hoping that since it started during ovulation, it is a cyst or something. Not knowing is TORTURE - pure TORTURE!!!!

Will you go for a beta check soon?

i FINALLY got my beta back and it's 303!!! they said that is a GREAT number and a doubling rate of only 27 hours.

SHEWWWWWWWWWWW!

thank you ladies for helping ease my mind while i had to wait on my results!!

Hey ladies I am new to the group but had to enter after reading some of the posts... I went to er and my hcg was 49.... I wanted to cry right then and there... Immediately thinking the worstc(prior blighted ovum. M/c) and those numbers weren't high either... Well my uterus has been wired pain for the last 2 months and my period jumping around.. my doc and I started to discuss a partial if I was thru having kids... Since my daughter passed (stillborn) I wasn't so sure... Well last month I tested because I hadn't got my period and was hurting.. then finally it came... After testing negative... Spotted another 2 weeks after my period... Chilled like normal.. well after some thoughts of the pain being fibroids I went to the doc last week.. none felt and sono scheduled for Monday... Friday I tested positive and 3 other tests confirmed... Just scared because I really want this to be my girl!

I will be only 4 weeks tomorrow..according to my lmp...my hcg levels yesterday were 627 ..is too high from what im reading its waaaay higher than anyone lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->