41yr old, here's hoping for baby no#1

thesnapper

Reaction score
Still sinking in but i'm about 4 weeks pregnant with hopefully baby no# 1.
It is obviously incredibly exciting but also a nerve wrecking time.
I believe i'm in good company here though with that particular feeling!
I had a missed miscarriage last Spring and ERPC followed.
That was my 1st pregnancy.
Being a newbie to this forum, please excuse my unfamiliarity with the lingo, i'm learning as i go.
Having experienced one miscarriage and given my age i'm indeed crossing my fingers and toes that it all works out.
I've been having constant period like cramps for over a week now and intermittent sharp stabs of pain a couple of times a day, no bleeding. I'm due to see my doctor again on friday.
So, please share scan advice and any other words of wisdom you might have to offer.
I feel like i'm playing catch up here as if i'm brutally honest, i thought my time had passed.
THanks for reading.

Congratulations!! And I wish all the best. I had my first at age 46 (had given up by that point so she was the most amazing surprise). There were a few stressful moments because of my age, but all turned out good and I have a wonderful little 2 year old now...And I turn 49 in 11 days! Anyway, good luck and enjoy the journey.

Scout- Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your story. I'm sure your daughter fills your life with so much joy.
Can i ask, what scans did you have and when? my doctor has suggested 1st scan at 7 weeks.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck! How exciting for you, wishing you a healthy and happy 9 months I'm sure all will be perfect!

I had a fabulous OB who would have scanned me whenever I wanted. I actually had to request less scans as I got further along bc I got tired of going to his office every week :) First scan was 6 weeks, and I was scanned weekly until 15 weeks when I asked to go every 2 weeks. I also had a perinatologist who scanned me at 13, 20 and, I think, around 30 weeks. I think my OB is the exception though and I know it's definitely not the norm to be scanned so frequently. 7 weeks is good. By then you should see the baby and a hb. My first visit, my OB took blood and ran an HCG test and since my number was so high (18,762 at 4w6d) he decided to scan me the following week.

THanks Scout for sharing your scan information.
On my previous pregnancy back in spring, i had 1st scan at i think 5 weeks 4 days as i had a bleed. Another 2 more scans over the next 2 weeks confirmed no heartbeat and no growth.
I'm happy to have as many scans as possible this time round.

Congratulations! I hope you have a healthy 8 months ahead of you :flower:

The cramps are very nerve wracking (or at least were for me!) I kept thinking af was coming every time I had one but they're very normal and a good sign that everything is stretching.

When you have your first scan will depend on your risk factor I think, it depends on whether they feel it's necessary given your medical history, I would speak to your gp and see what they advise.

Good Luck! My mom got pregnant with my sister at 40....she had a few complications(put on bed rest in the hospital around 7months because body was going into labor)

BUT we now have a vivacious 11 year old terrorizing us. lol All that to say even if you do experience complications it doesn't mean all hope is lost. GOOD LUCK!!!

Awww what a lovely post to read. I love reading people's happy news. My mum had me at 37 (not that old now) but back then it was considered a much older mother.
Fingers crossed a happy and healthy pregnancy for you xxxx

Congrats and good luck on a happy, healthy pregnancy :)

I actually just watched a documentary on netflix called 'first comes love' about a 41 year old woman going through her first pregnancy, and she had a beautiful son.

Congratulations! I know it can be nerve racking at first, escoecially after a loss. Fingers crossed thisis it though and you get to hold your precious baby in 8 months!

Congratulations! I had a MC in May, and now PG again, so I totally understand how stressful it can be. Praying for your rainbow baby!

THank you sincerely ladies for such well wishes.
The feeling of support and sense of community on the forum is really so reassuring.
Wishing everyone a happy healthy pregnancy.

Congratulations !! That is soooo exciting!! Everything you are describing with period pains etc is totally normal! And a good sign!
Your doctor will be a wealth of knowledge for you, and will keep a close eye on your progress...if you are like a lot of us pregnant ladies you will likely have morning sickness and extreme exhaustion starting around 6 weeks. However if you don't experience this don't worry! Every woman & pregnancy is different.
Sleep when you need to, drink lots of water, and eat as healthy as you can, and take your prenatals....
So happy for you!

I will be 41 in 3 weeks time and this is my 4th :) It's been very tough so far and I'm very cautious. I hope all goes well for you thesnapper and biteable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->