42+ weeks and induction looming...

bcage

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has any experiences/stories of whether my hopes for a natural birth are out the window because of the induction? i'm 42+1 and have induction booked for 42+4 (refused induction at 41+6, our choice to wait until 42+4). i've been told i can't go to the birth centre anymore, so goodbye water birth :cry::cry:

would love to hear any thoughts of whether the induction will mean a definite epi, feel like i'm on a slippery slope to the kind of birth i wasn't hoping for! :wacko:

I was induced at 40 week due to obstetric cholestasis. I did not need epidural... well until the end when i had EMCS so had soinal in theatre BUT that was not to do with being induced. I only need one pessary and waters broken to get contractions going. I used gas and air and pethadine (although pethadine knocked me out bug time). The best adivise i can give is to stay mobile... i was so exhausted i didn't. They want you on CTG but you can still stand my the bed. Or if i'm induced next time i would actually refuse the CTG ALL the time... unless my baby appeared distressed. Also the beginning of induction can take a long time so rest/sleep as much as possible. I didn't and was totally exhausted by the pushing stage- i ended up with section after failed forceps. this was done to my baby having his chin tilted up and so was stuck. i believe it would have happened even if i had gone into labour naturally. xxxxx

I was induced twice and had very quick vaginal births. I thoroughly recommend the book 'The Thinking Women's Guide to Pregnancy' it has lots of info about interventions, Obstetricians being overzealous and it is backed by research. It might help you make decisions around your birth

You can always say no to being induced, if you don't want to - I know it's very stressful but try to stay positive :D

I was induced with DS at 42+3, after the gel my waters broke and I had some surges but they didn't give me very long for labour to start naturally - I kind of wish I had gone home after the gel. So then they put me on the drip - I was monitored but I moved around a lot and did anything but sit or lie on the bed.
We used homeopathic remedies and I had my natalhypnotherapy CD on and was doing some visualisations. I just had my tens machine on but I wasn't dilating much - only got to 2/3cm after 8-10 hours (DS was perfectly happy BTW). So they said they could either crank up the drip to the max, but I'd need an epidural and even then my labour might go on for another 10 hours+ and then I could need a c-section/forceps etc. Or I could have a c-section there and then, when I'd had no other drugs and was tired, but not exhausted - so it would be a "nicer" experience. I went for the c-section, which wasn't what I wanted at all but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - I walked along to theatre, had my baby Mozart CD playing, got skin-to-skin, breastfed DS.

You might find that all you need is a gel to get things started, and even if things don't work out the way you want them to, then you can still have elements of a natural birth experience. I don't feel bitter about my CS and I try not to have any regrets, as I don't feel that's useful for me. You just have to make the right decisions at the time, using the information that you have.

Have you looked at www.aims.org.uk - might be some stuff about being induced?

Whatever happens I wish you all the best :flower:

what kind of induction will they do? pessary, iv, sweep...?

induction doesn't mean a definite epi- i was put on the drip straight away after my waters broke as there was meconium. :flower: get walkin those stairs lady!!

i was induced with ds2 they moniterd me for 30 min after giving me a sweep and the gel then i was left to do my own thing, i used my tens and labour did start really quick and progressed at a resonable pace ( faster than they expected from the posistion of my cervix lol ) and other than taking a bath at one point and using my TENS then i gave birth without any intervention at all, just be firm about it, you dont have to take an Epi and i would find other ways of managing your pain levels without it if you dont want one

bcage- where are you from? Are you in the US? There are laws! I will enlighten you if you are :D
:dust:

hoping all is well and checking in for updates...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->