44 and TTC for first time

I just had a baby on November 5th, 2011 at the age of 44. The baby was conceived in Feb. 2011 when I was 43.

It was 4 years of trying. Two years of nothing; then 3 conceptions and 3 miscarriages in 2 years. We had kind of given up. I decided to keep trying until my 44th birthday in July, and got pregnant in February. I think Metformin helped. (I am a Type 2 diabetic). I also think watching the calendar helped, as did lying with my legs elevated after sex.

We did not have the money for IVF, so it was mother nature or nothing. The losses were terrible, as was the fear of birth defects. We didn't even tell my mother about the baby until I was 5-6 months along because of the miscarriages. We waited that long to tell our 7 year old as well. Hiding the grief of the miscarriages from him was torture. We used "mommy hurt her back" as the excuse for my lying in bed and for crying. We declined amnio for fear of causing a loss. My son appears healthy, though he was born 3 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia.

Best wishes to all of you. Nothing about it was "easy" , but I am so grateful everytime I look at him.

Huge congrats ,your kids are adorable and thanks for sharing ,:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

So, I'm still TTC. Since my last post, I've had some results from my test that gave me some cause for concern...my FSH was high (10.7), and luteal phase was (according to my calculations) 9 days.

I couldnt do anything about my FSH but I did run out right away (day after OV) to buy Vit B complex. The lady at Whole Foods sold me on an 'advance form' of Vit B complex that's supposed to work faster. I'm not sure if it was due to the Vit B or not but it turned out my LP was 12 days. :happydance: Still no BFP though :nope:but at least the LP seems to be better.

I'm waiting for an appointment to see a FS. I'm thinking I'm going to go with IVF right away, if possible. There's no time to waste at my age. Not sure what the down sides are, except for the $$$ as I have no insurance to cover it.

While I'm waiting, I'll still try to conceive naturally as that's my first choice.

It's so great to hear of others around my age conceiving. Gives me hope.

Baby dust to everyone!!:dust::dust::dust:

what was your LH?

I said in an earlier post that my FSH was 10.8 in May 2011 whilst my LH was 10.00 -- so if they are close to one another -- THAT is what is important (I conceived naturally the next month)....

best wishes (and good luck!)

ps. remember that I conceived at age 43 and will deliver next month at age 44!

L8, on my FS referral sheet it says a normal level of FSH is up to 12 so I don't think yours is that bad. Mine was 7.4 last summer and I was told that was ok :hugs:

L8, on my FS referral sheet it says a normal level of FSH is up to 12 so I don't think yours is that bad. Mine was 7.4 last summer and I was told that was ok :hugs:

I think the lower the FSH score, the better. My doctor says 10.7 is a little on the high side and that ideally the score should be < 9. But from all I've read on this site, it seems my score is not that bad. After all, fewer eggs is not a reflection of lesser quality eggs. I'm pretty sure I still OV every month and hopefully with the COQ 10 I'm taking, the quality will improve.

what was your LH?

I said in an earlier post that my FSH was 10.8 in May 2011 whilst my LH was 10.00 -- so if they are close to one another -- THAT is what is important (I conceived naturally the next month)....

best wishes (and good luck!)

ps. remember that I conceived at age 43 and will deliver next month at age 44!

Sabrina, My LH was taken the same day as my FSH (on Day 3). It is 3.9, kind of low but I'm thinking that makes sense, given the timing of the test, right? If the test had been done the day before OV, it would be higher, right?

All this testing, etc is weighing heavy on DH and I. He's under so much pressure that I'm worried he won't be able to 'finish' during the crucial peak days. Which is also why, aside from my age, that I'm opting for IVF, asap. TTC is taking a toll.

Good luck - b complex is great as well as other vits. I use whole foods as well - great selection. try to get food based like rainbow light prenatals or new chapter organics, they absorb better. I also take coq10 and others. Moving on to ivf is fine but still track your cycles and bd at fertile times. You may get lucky. Oh and put dh on sups as well! :flower:

I had my first appointment at the Fertility clinic the other day. The Doctor recommended IVF right away. He says my FSH (10.7) is very good for someone my age.

I have to get AMH and HSG done.

DH still has to get his SA done. He's procrastinating and says he can't do it :nope: He had a very strict Catholic upbringing. The Doctor suggested an alternative. I'm hoping it works as his situation is creating a bit of anxiety for me.

Well, wish me luck.

I had my first appointment at the Fertility clinic the other day. The Doctor recommended IVF right away. He says my FSH (10.7) is very good for someone my age.

I have to get AMH and HSG done.

DH still has to get his SA done. He's procrastinating and says he can't do it :nope: He had a very strict Catholic upbringing. The Doctor suggested an alternative. I'm hoping it works as his situation is creating a bit of anxiety for me.

Well, wish me luck.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Good luck and wishes l8bloomer :flower: I'm sure DH will come round, sometimes they just need to go off into their caves to think things over :hugs::hugs:

i have just found this thread and so happy!!!!!!!

you girls have really cheered me up that there is hope!

Im 42 and for some stupid reason decided last year to come off bcp and to have a baby - stupidly thinking it would happen quickly

well, im still here 7 months later

Im def ov'ing and have had blood works and an ultrascan done (after mc in dec) and have been told all is "normal"

af came sunday morning and like everyone else, i thought the world had come to an end but your thread has really perked me up

thanks girls

p,s, well done to all you preggy girls!

:hi: hi pinky and good luck, keep at it and fingers crossed you will get a sticky BFP very soon :hugs::hugs:

thank you hun, i read some of your journal the other day - very inspirational

Congratulations and H&H 9 months x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"