4mth keeps throwing juice up & wont have water, wat to do?

ClaireRJM

Reaction score
Started my LO on 2oz on water when she was about 3 mnths but after week but not take it & scream place down so started on 4mth + juice at first great but last week no matter wen give it her she throws most of it up with some of milk. I have just started weaning couple weeks ago but dont want her getting dehyrated...any advice??

My LO was the same and really still is.... Are you offering it in a sippy cup? My Gabriella will take more from a sippy cup, I let her hold the handles and I bring the cup up to her mouth and tip a bit in, it takes some getting used to for them. Also what juice are you using as I found the ready to use ones were a little strong and still had to partially dilute so it just tinged the water x

I tried a sippy cup but to much went in her mouth & just kept overflowing out of sides of mouth. Maybe thats it, may try adding bit of water, thanks hunxxx

She's only four months so she just might not be ready. She may not yet need water and certainly not juice as milk is probably enough to quench her thirst. If you're worried, ask your Doc. :)

I would definitely suggest diluting it...it tastes rank but they seem to prefer it! I normally go say 1oz of juice to 3 oz of water which seems to be easier on their tummy.

Alternatively, Boots do these jars of sterile water with a hint of stawberry or blackcurrent etc....these might be useful? They are about 55p and they last for 24 hours once opened.

Charlie definitely prefers these as I had to start giving him water as he was on a lot of medication and would choke alot and also he gets dehydrated easily which was why he is on them now.

Just curious as to why you started weaning so early. Aren't you meant to wait until 17 weeks?

According to my nan you can start weaning at 6 weeks! (still stuck in the old ways methinks!) She keeps telling me 'well i did it with my 4 children and they're all fine! Lol.

Think weaning is meant to begin between 4-6 months but parents can do it when they like i suppose!

I've heard about the sterile water from boots as ell and heard its quite tasty! So guess you could try that?

She doesn't really need water at her age. I would leave her be for a bit, and try again at 7-8 months. The liquid she has when she's having water, she should be having milk instead because the calorific content. Her main source of hydration and food should be milk until she is at least 6 months old.

She doesn't really need water at her age. I would leave her be for a bit, and try again at 7-8 months. The liquid she has when she's having water, she should be having milk instead because the calorific content. Her main source of hydration and food should be milk until she is at least 6 months old.

Yup, I agree. To the poster who said she's weaning too early, her LO is over 17 weeks, no? ETA Oh I see, not a couple of weeks ago though...

We are going to wean early (at about 19-20 weeks) with the advice and support of our GP, HV and bf consultant, but will be relying on milk for her main source of fluids as it also boosts calories. I'm guessing your LO isn't yet on 3 meals a day, so needs milk more than water or juice. Especially when you wean early, milk is still the main food and drink for a good while yet.

I agree - I'm a early weaner now due to my LO's prematurity and milk should still be their main source, there shouldnt be a need for juice or water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->