4th degree tear, anyone?

natalie4

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I had my beautiful son on September 26th and I'm now almost 14 wks pp and still very much in the recovery period from a 4th degree tear. Looking to share my experience and chat with any other moms who had a severe tear.

Anyways, I had a 4th degree tear and was stitched up in the delivery room after the birth.

I went to my doctor 3 wks postpartum as things just weren't feeling right. Turns out I wasn't stitched well. Muscles weren't reconnected (which is why I felt so much pressure) and a had a rectovaginal fistula - which meant I was passing gas from my vagina.

Got referred to a different surgeon as I didn't want the OB who did my original repair to do this one. Had surgery at 10 weeks postpartum (december 1)

Now here I am with some further complications. I'm still very sore at 4 weeks post surgery, and it appears that some stitches near the rear may have opened up a small hole, and it could be an anal fistula. Looks like I'm in for more surgery.

I had NO idea that this could happen after childbirth. I expected pain, sitting on ice for a while, some stitches that would heal, etc. But not this. I'm not someone who deals well with being ill. I'm a get up and go type, I ride horses competitively (which I haven't been able to do), and my optimism is fading fast.

Anyone else recovering from 4th degree tear? How are you doing? Any ongoing complications? Would love to hear from you, and *hugs* to all you recovering moms.

I had a 4th degree tear with my first (3 years ago) I was stitched in theatre as I had torn through lining of my bowel and needed lots of stitches (over 300). At 6 weeks pp my consultant had to cut stitches that weren't healing but left my with a small open pocket. It did heal on its own but took a while, probably 3 months. Sadly I'm now incontinent and have accidents a lot, although I had my gallbladder out when she was 4 months and that causes me to be loose. Sorry TMI. It's an awful thing to happen but you will heal. I fell pregnant with my son when she was 14 months old but had to have a section as was too much at risk for another 4th degree tear. Sorry you had to experience this plus complications. It's horrid but you will be on the move soon. I had PTSD following my daughters birth but now we are 8 months away from.ttc #3. PM if you want to chat anytime xxx

Thanks for the response! Glad to hear that you have healed enough to have more children (at this point I can't imagine ever having sex again)!

I've been told the same thing. No more vaginal births or I risk tearing again and at that point it would be nearly impossible to repair.

The only thing I'm lucky with is that I'm not incontinent, but being 3 months postpartum with open wounds, pain, stitches, butthole issues...it's a lot to push my way through mentally. It has really affected bonding with my son because I'm in so much discomfort and so worried about ever being healthy again.

Oh and don't worry, nothing is TMI to me. I used to be so shy, but after all of this, I have no shame left.

Were you a forceps delivery too? I had an emergency forceps without pain relief so can understand the bonding issues and the worry of never being healthy again. But you will have sex, you will heal and you will (if you want to) have more children. Hopefully you can get everything sorted soon and start getting back to full health. My sister has had a few anal fissures which were sorted with surgery. She is now ttc so isn't causing her any issues, she has healed well so is happy to try.

No forceps. Long labour and 2 hours of pushing. He was a big baby but the doctor was still shocked that I tore that badly.

Thanks for the encouragement. It doesn't seem like there's many of us out there with 4th degree tears.

What weight was he? I had 2 hours of pushing then she got stuck so needed forceps but was a dainty 6lb. My cousin had a 3rd degree but I've not spoken to anyone else with a 4th degree. Wouldn't wish it on anyone

He was 9 lbs 1 oz. Not huge bit big. Apparently he turned at the last second and caught me with his shoulder.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone either. I read about tears before giving birth but didn't realize how complicated and difficult 4th degrees are.

Ouch! I just remember feeling like I was being tortured with the forceps. No wonder I ended up in therapy.

How you getting on now? x

Good news! Fistula is fixed I just have an abcess which is painful and draining.

I'm still in pain and I think I will have issues for a while. But I feel like I can start to get back to life. May even get on a horse tomorrow ��

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->