5.5mo Dropped to 4bottles.

wtbmummy

Reaction score
We started weaning at 4mo after a week ds dropped his night time bottle (still wakes though :dohh:)
So he was on 5bottles a day. The other day I noticed I was giving him his dinner to late 5-5.30pm but ds was starting to get tired and rubbing his eyes. I then realized everyday he asks to be fed about 4-4.30 but wasnt drinking much.
So I had a theory he was asking for dinner not milk!!!
The last three days he has had dinner at 4 and this seems to be going so much smoother. Then yesterday I realized he is now only having 4bottles a day. He is still taking the same amount of oz just drinking more each bottle and he has an 8oz bottle for bed anyway.

Is this ok that he only has 4bottles now? He is taking between 21-26oz per day plus two meals totalling about 170g
I havent been able to introduce lunch yet as I don't know where to fit it in but he will need to be used to that once he starts nursery :shrug:

Our day atm looks something like this....
6am - 5oz
7.30am - 100g porridge
10am - 6oz
1-2pm - 7oz (depending how long his 11am nap is and when he goes down)
4pm - 70g dinner
6pm - 7-8oz

Dd has dropped to 4 bottles from 5 as well. She's not dropped a particular one just started going longer between feeds. I think its fine as still having 500ml/20oz of milk a day. I wouldnt really let him drop any more though as till closer to 1 they should still be having majority milk.

As long as the amount is the same, it doesn't matter when he has them. As for introducing lunch, I'd probably hold off for now. There's no rush. He doesn't take that much milk as it is and you really want to keep the amount of milk he has up for awhile as he's still so little. My daughter was probably having the same amount around 9 months when she dropped to 4 bottles. All babies are different though, but I'd still not be in a hurry to rush into solids. You have plenty of time and I'd just make sure he's getting plenty of milk for now and ease into it in time. My daughter wasn't having 3 meals a day until 7.5 months and despite never being a big eater, it helped her to keep the amount of milk she was having up. Also, don't see night weaning or solids as the key to STTN. It won't make any difference for most babies. My daughter night weaned on her own at 9 months but didn't STTN until 14 months or so and even now she still wakes some nights.

My lo was on four 7oz bottle from 4 months or so, with no solids. At that stage she was sleeping straight through 8pm - 7am and that was all there was time for! It was usually 7.30, 11.30, 3.30 and 7.30. She often wouldn't even finish the bottles so I knew she was getting enough. I've always said the reason she slept though so early (dropped 3am feed at 7 weeks) was because she wasn't a big eater and was never overly keen in her bottle. She def enjoyed solids a lot more once we weaned.

She was then on 3 bottles at 7 months, 2 at 9 months and 1 at a year. I'd say u could drop the last one, but she won't take milk from a sippy cup and I still want her to drink some milk. All babies are different, this worked for us x

Also to add as far as I can remember we introduced lunch at 7 months when we cut out the mid morning bottle. And also all if the above was endorsed by out health visitor x

Thanks for your replies.
I spoke to my hv on Thursday and she was very happy with his current intake of milk and solids. She said he's growing fine and I'm clearly following his cues and let him take the lead when it comes to feeding.
Since I have changed to a 4pm dinner he has started either sleeping through 6pm- 6am or he is now only having one or two wake ups maybe 2.30am and 5am but goes straight back to sleep.
Again the hv said this is most likely because I have learnt his cues and now he is eating enough and so is settling better at night not needing a bottle and learning to self soothe also at the same time (dont know why but uses his dummy less now his choice)
As for introducing lunch I think I will wait and continue following his cues. If he is still not having lunch when he starts nursery (at 7.5mo) then they can just give him his bottle. They cant force him to eat it!!!
Oh and ds doesn't finish all his bottles either as you can see from the different amounts, but if he's happy (and he has been much happier and an easier baby since I moved his dinner) than I will continue with what I am doing. Like I said his intake is the same as when he used to have 5 bottles so I think I'm just doubting myself :dohh: :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->