5 week old constantly hungry and fussing

Hollie West

Reaction score
My 5 week old seems to want to feed every hour.
He’s currently on 3/4 oz (weighs 8lb, was 6 12 born but dropped to 5 11 after troubles).

He will have his bottle and take the 3/4 ounce, settle for half an hour then starts fussing and by an hour has passed he’s screaming for another feed.

Currently on prescription milk for CMPA, and suffering from silent reflux.
Could this be a comfort thing?
ive tried giving him a dummy but he isn’t interested at all.

I genuinely cannot calm him down , he will not settle until fed.

I feel like he is being over fed at the minute and I don’t know what to do :(

Oh I feel your pain. My DD was the same. Literally feeding non-stop. I was being told it was normal that newborns fed all the time, but I would literally breastfeed for hours and then supplement with formula straight after, and then she would scream for a feed within an hour. I was in a crazy feeding cycle for months and at 4 months she just suddenly stopped eating. She would take a suck breast or bottle and then pull her head away and she was diagnosed with severe silent reflux. I was told that with some babies feeding temporarily provides relief but shortly after the pain comes back so they want to feed agin, so in rare cases silent reflux can manifest with constant feeding. These babies are often left undiagnosed for months as not eating is more common sign of reflux. But seems like you already have that diagnosis which is "good".

Did they give you any medicine for the reflux? We started on Nexium straight away and within 24 hours I had a totally different baby! It was day and night. She went from a constant feeder with 6+ hours of constant hysterical screaming a day, to a happy little baby that would easily go 4 hours between feeds.

I hope you get it sorted. It is really tough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->