5 year olds and reading

Neferet

Reaction score
Isaac is 5 and I'm worried about his reading and writing. Lots of my friends children of similar ages seem to be more advanced and better at reading and writing than Isaac. =/ Just wondering if anyone knows how well they're supposed to read at this age. Is it wrong that I'm comparing him to other kids?

I'd try not to compare my DD has awful handwriting but she couldn't even grip a pencil properly so making progress just at her own pace

Really try not to compare. Some children pick it up really quickly and others don't. However by the time they leave primary chances are your son will have caught up. M
My niece started school and struggled to pick up reading for a couple of years. There were children in her class that in reception were slreading at year2 or 3 level. However when they all left year 6 those children were only at year 6 level but she was year 7/8.
Iro writing-I think boys do tend to struggle more to start off with.

Try to encourage but not pressurise him.
And again-don't compare with others-I'd always found myself comparing my son with others and then I had a girl with delays-she will always be massively behind her peers and as made me realise that comparing just makes you feel worse than you need to as there will always be someone ahead if your child.
Your son will have his own strengths :)

Thanks for your replies. =]
I don't pressurise him or anything. I'm sure he'll have his own strengths and will catch up. Yesterday I was so proud of him. He was writing out a fathers day card for my grandad and he wrote every letter really well. I had to tell him what letters he needed to use and stuffs,but I was so proud.
Thinkning of having a word with his teacher to see how she thinks he's getting on with stuff.

I take it his in reception? My daughter is in reception and hates writing.. she has to do everything on her terms.. reading is coming along but she does have to be prompted to sit down and do things, she struggles with concentration. I think as long as their trying to form letters and trying to read, then they'll get there in their own time x

Thanks :) yeah he's forming letters really well and he's starting to pick up reading small words and stuff. He seems to enjoy trying to read but he doesn't comcentrate for long.

Sounds like his doing fab then :) What reading level is he on now? My daughter is only on red level and her teacher said they like them on yellow by the summer holidays, only got a few weeks to get her there! Shes not 5 for a few more weeks so I put it down to her being one of the youngest ones too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->