5 yearold Really acting out after house move

Reaction score
Hi all

I am so desperate for help. My sweet and happy and loving 5 year old is having Huge issues and I am really starting to struggle.

We sold our house last November and then lived in rental during her reception year whilst we figured out where we were going to live long term. We moved house over the summer, at the end of reception year. We now live 3 hours away from where we used to. She didn’t want to move and misses her best friend and home in general. We have really tried to help her settle in here - making her room nice, taking her to fun places, inviting people from the new school over for play dates and also visiting our old area to see grandparents and her hest friend. Moving definitely wasn’t ideal for her but unfortunately it had to happen.

Last November she also gained her baby sister.

So she has had a Lot to deal with.

We were prepared for there to be some issues when we moved but I’m starting to feel overwhelmed.

She seems fairly happy on a daily basis but if you ask, she will say that she hates it here.
She fairly regularly gets Very Angry at us for random things.
If she gets told off she will put her fingers in her ears and say blahblahblah until you stop talking.
Today she Bit her baby sister (baby sister put her fingers in her mouth and we’re not sure if the bite was deliberate or just thoughtless). When told off she denied it was her, wouldn’t apologise to her sister and then set off on the blahblah blah routine.
When I said she couldn’t scoot to Rainbows this evening she shouted ‘well I am anyway!’ and stormed downstairs to put her helmet on.

Sometimes she seems so happy but these explosions are not infrequent. She’s quite a sensitive kid and we’re quite gentle parents so I don’t really want to go down some hardcore punishment route that makes her feel really emotionally isolated, but I also just - don’t know what to do!

She also has too much tv time imo - I don’t mind some for downtime but then it becomes a fight too. Not helped if we’re trying to get the baby to nap and she really does need to be quiet.

Help! I want my daughter to be happy and grow up well

It sounds like you are a great mom! Though your daughter may be feeling upset due to the changes in her life, it may be that she is just trying to gain control. Having a strong will is a good thing in the long run, but right now she needs to know that you and your husband are in charge. You have done everything possible to make her feel comfortable. Now it's time to move on and establish a routine. Just remember that you're not being a bad mom by disciplining her behavior.

I agree! you should have your kids in discipline because if not they will take you for granted and do as they want and this will only hurt them in long run. No one will tolerate this kind of behavior. You should now start scolding her and make her listen to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->