5w5d HCG not doubling, ultrasound as expected

Kenzieb07

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I am pregnant with baby #2. However, I've had some spotting come and go since the week before I got my BFP (big fat positive (pregnancy test)) (I assume the 5 days of spotting prior to the BFP (big fat positive (pregnancy test)) was implantation spotting, and spotting this week could be a result of sex, internal exam, and a transvaginal ultrasound). My OBGYN suggested I have my hcg levels tested just to be sure.

Well, Tuesday at 11:30am they were 1479. Thursday at 1:30pm they were 2269... an increase of 53%. She then got me in for an ultrasound yesterday (Friday), and an ectopic pregnancy was ruled out -- we saw a gestational sac with a yolk sac in it, but no baby yet (I was 5 weeks 5 days, so she said this is what she was expecting since it's so early). I was told the ultrasound was "very appropriate" for how far along I am based on LMP.

She had me get my hcg taken again today but they must not give results on the weekends, so I'm sitting here continuing to freak out.

Now... the confusion is... when I Google it, it says that after 5 weeks, and after you've reached 1200 ml/u, it can take 48-72 hours to double. If that's the case, then I'm not as worried because it likely would have been double by the 72 hour mark... however, if my OBGYN agreed with that, I assume she wouldn't have been concerned based on the 48 hour results.

**I haven't had any concerning cramping (just very slight cramps every now & then) and all spotting has been very light pink or brown (majority has been the latter)

Just looking for similar experiences - either way it turned out. Thank you!

From what I've heard and read, some women just have a slow rising hcg. At least it is rising, it might pick up in a few days to week. Will you be having more bloodwork done? If the scan is ok for your dates and your doc isn't concerned, try not to worry too much. GL!

I had a blood draw today but haven't gotten results - guessing I have to wait until Monday when my doctor sees the lab results. :(

I'm sure after that, depending what she sees, she'll have me come in yet again for a 4th test. Hopefully by the end of next week another u/s will show a baby with a HB... until then, I'm going to be a nervous wreck!

My doctor does seem concerned with the #s, but not the u/s, so I'm not sure what to think. :(

With dd2, I was averaging 70% increase over 72 hours, she's 7 next month. Good luck x

My OB never really goes over hcg so I can’t speak on that. However I had mild cramping, brown (old blood) and red blood spotting as well as a good chunk when wiping but baby was always fine. I had several light cramp/bleed episodes through 14weeks but baby was always fine, unfortunately we never did find the cause of the bleeds but everything was ok. I hope it works out and your next scan goes well!

Sadly my OB has officially said she is concerned with the viability of this pregnancy. Between Thursday & Saturday (44 hour difference) the increase was only 12%. So the increase is dropping significantly, and now I feel like it's just a matter of time before I start miscarrying. The original 53% increase was a little more comforting, but I haven't seen a single person with a normal pregnancy say they increased by 12%. She wants me to have another ultrasound on Wednesday; by then, I should be able to see a baby if there is one.

This is so tough.

I'm sorry you're going through such a stressful time and have my fingers crossed your next scan brings some good news. I had considerable bleeding and slow rising HCG with my first which worried my GP to the point she called me after hours to discuss miscarriage and what to expect. He will be 6 in Jan. I had similar bleeding in my second pregnancy but declined the HCG as I found it too stressful. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->