6 1/2 months, how much milk a day??

Kayleigh09

Reaction score
Hi all, my daughter is currently eating this much a day:

4/5am - 6oz's follow on milk
8/9am - 4 spoons powder cereal/porridge
11/12am - 6oz's follow on milk
2/3pm - 1/2 jar savoury food + petit filous yoghurt (or couple spoons of sweet jarred pudding)
7pm - 6oz's follow on milk (bedtime)

Is this enough milk? She was having 3 meals a day but i thought that maybe she wasnt getting enough milk in during the day then. She is also a smaller baby and has always been a bit under the recommended amounts written on the boxes of milk but i'm worried she is having too much food or too little milk and i dont see my health visitor anymore.

Any help would be very much appreciated :) Thanks

My HV told me Ellis should still be taking 25oz and he takes more, 29oz give or take an oz! His appetite is huge compared to your LO but he does play with his finger food more than eat it! An example of his day looks like this:

7am - 8oz Bottle
9am - Cereal, about 15 sml spoons (we are switching to "adult cereal" with whole milk once the box is finished)
11.30am - 7oz Bottle
12.30pm - Lunch - Finger foods, toast with philly, cucumber sticks, banana ect...
3.30pm - 7oz bottle
5.30pm - Dinner - Steamed veg, Pasta sprinked with cheese or savory jar.

Occasionally he has dessert, fruit puree, yoghurt.

Why are you not seeing your HV? Did you not get along with her?

My HV told me Ellis should still be taking 25oz and he takes more, 29oz give or take an oz! His appetite is huge compared to your LO but he does play with his finger food more than eat it! An example of his day looks like this:

7am - 8oz Bottle
9am - Cereal, about 15 sml spoons (we are switching to "adult cereal" with whole milk once the box is finished)
11.30am - 7oz Bottle
12.30pm - Lunch - Finger foods, toast with philly, cucumber sticks, banana ect...
3.30pm - 7oz bottle

My HV is totally useless and doesnt bother making appointments with me, the last time i saw her was to do with where we were living, we needed help from her to get us a better house but after that i havent seen her. I think the last proper appointment we had was when Summer was about 1 1/2 months old so i've been doing it alone since then!! I think she is having enough for her. What do you think?

hi, my little one is not a big baby, she is 16lb 5oz but is above her line in red book. I have been tearing my hair out because she wasnt taking much milk or even eating much but the past couple of days I have relaxed and she has been great.... plus ive changed her feeding routine. so here's what she's had today.

Breakfast
6oz of milk..... weetabix mixed with 2oz of formula (ate most) then a bit of toast... didnt swallow much but good practise.

Lunch
homemade cheesy veg (ate a little) followed by half a baby yogurt, a banana (mostly crushed in hand lol) and 4oz milk.

Tea
fish fingers followed by a couple spoons of dessert jar, half a baby yogurt and half a rusk.

at 7.30pm bedtime she has drunk her whole 9oz bottle

I am one happy mummy today she has done really well. I would say your baby is getting all that she needs xx

hi, my little one is not a big baby, she is 16lb 5oz but is above her line in red book. I have been tearing my hair out because she wasnt taking much milk or even eating much but the past couple of days I have relaxed and she has been great.... plus ive changed her feeding routine. so here's what she's had today.

Breakfast
6oz of milk..... weetabix mixed with 2oz of formula (ate most) then a bit of toast... didnt swallow much but good practise.

Lunch
homemade cheesy veg (ate a little) followed by half a baby yogurt, a banana (mostly crushed in hand lol) and 4oz milk.

Tea
fish fingers followed by a couple spoons of dessert jar, half a baby yogurt and half a rusk.

at 7.30pm bedtime she has drunk her whole 9oz bottle

I am one happy mummy today she has done really well. I would say your baby is getting all that she needs xx

7am - 8oz Bottle
11.30am - 7oz Bottle
3.30pm - 7oz bottle

My HV is totally useless and doesnt bother making appointments with me, the last time i saw her was to do with where we were living, we needed help from her to get us a better house but after that i havent seen her. I think the last proper appointment we had was when Summer was about 1 1/2 months old so i've been doing it alone since then!! I think she is having enough for her. What do you think?

No one hear can really say if she is or isn't having enough hun:hugs: I would really suggest you see a HV. Where abouts do you live? Here in Chelmsford there are several drop in centres that we are able to attend, even if its at other Dr's surgerys or the other side of town. You just take your read book and get LO wieghed. It may be worth ring you Dr's to see if there is a central number to obtain the HV team and get information. You will see alot of moaning about HV's on here but there are some really good ones out there, mine included:hugs:

Violet is 6months 2weeks and has 4 x 8oz of follow on milk - sometimes she'll have the lot, sometimes she'll leave 2oz of the bottle.

But she's not eating properly yet, she's still playing and learning about food rather than eating for hunger.

On the pack I think it recommends 200ml of follow on milk a day but Violet has more... But then she's always had more milk then the recommended amount lol

Violet is 6months 2weeks and has 4 x 8oz of follow on milk - sometimes she'll have the lot, sometimes she'll leave 2oz of the bottle.

But she's not eating properly yet, she's still playing and learning about food rather than eating for hunger.

On the pack I think it recommends 200ml of follow on milk a day but Violet has more... But then she's always had more milk then the recommended amount lol

If i'm right of calculations 200ml is only 6.7oz and she has more than that so it should be ok.

Hi

Its really hard to say as all babies are different. I'm doing baby led weaning with Lily even though she's formula fed. She's 6.5 months old and her day goes something like this:

7am - 7oz plus breakfast of cereal - weetabix, baby porridge or other cereals and fruit

11am - Lunch of finger foods eg toast, cucumber, pitta bread, rice cakes, fruits, cheese etc etc followed by about 5oz sometimes less of mill

2pm - 7oz bottle

5pm - Lily usually eats what we're having and then I always offer her a 7oz bottle before bed. Sometimes she takes it all sometimes not it really depends on how much she's eaten at tea time

10pm - I still give Lily a sleepy feed. She only takes 3oz so we're looking to drop this feed in the next week or two

I hope thats helped but as everyone else has said its probably best to discuss it with your health visitor and keep an eye on her weight.

Whilst the recommendation on the carton is 200ml's this is per feed and at 6 months + they should be drinking a minimum of 1 pint of follow on formula a day, 3 x 200mls, less than what Ellis drinks:dohh: The 25oz min was before 6 months so I was incorrect too :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->