6 centimeters dialated for how long

massoma8489

mommy to 2 (1 angel baby)
Reaction score
I'm hoping other women can share their stories of how long they were 6 cm dilated before they went into labor. I've been like that for about 4 days now. I just need to know how long this is likely to last.
36 weeks

iv never heard of anyone being 6cm and not in labour!

The only time I was 6 cm dilated I was already in the hospital in active labor..over 5 cm your pretty much in active labor. Are you doing a home birth? With my last son I was induced but I was stuck at 4 cm and my dr started to get concerned he would go into distress or if he was too big. Turned out all I needed was an epidural to relax me and I fully dilated within the next 2 hours. But honestly I would consult with a dr and not walk around at 6 cm for very long as there may be a reason your body is not dilating

I had contractions every 4 mints and once the checked me I found out I was 5 after 7 hours I dialated to 6 then everything just stopped there wasn't any contraction they gave me morfien to take the pain away but not only did it take the pain away I wasn't dilating any more and contractions were getting apart but wat I think is that it has to do with my weekly progstran shot that I take every week it was supposed to help my uterus not contract early becuz I have a history of 19 week +3 miscarriage and after that a premature baby at 34 weeks so during this pregnancy they started giving me the shot at around 16 weeks and last Friday was my last shot

The only time I was 6 cm dilated I was already in the hospital in active labor..over 5 cm your pretty much in active labor. Are you doing a home birth? With my last son I was induced but I was stuck at 4 cm and my dr started to get concerned he would go into distress or if he was too big. Turned out all I needed was an epidural to relax me and I fully dilated within the next 2 hours. But honestly I would consult with a dr and not walk around at 6 cm for very long as there may be a reason your body is not dilating

No I'm not doing a home birth but I asked if I could do bed rest at home becuz I already have got my time in the hospital for a couple of months during my last prenecy and it wasn't nice I hated it

Are you in the hosp? I would go into the hospital and be monitored to be sure all is ok. I never heard of them letting you go for too long being that dilated, you may need to be hooked up to petocin. With my oldest I went in at 5 cm and my labor stopped. She only gave me 2 hours for it to start back up on its own. I walked them halls like crazy but nothing and had to get the petocin to get labor started back up

No mdjoy she said I'm not yet full term so they can't do anything to stop or help labor come

Wth? 4 cm needs hospital admittance as its considered active labor. I've never heard of someone being 6cm and not in labor ?

No I'm not doing a home birth but I asked if I could do bed rest at home becuz I already have got my time in the hospital for a couple of months during my last prenecy and it wasn't nice I hated it

Ohhhh ok. Yea my 1st was an awful labor, first she had me go in 3 times to put some gel behind my cervix so it can soften and efface :growlmad: ouch! Finally the 3 rd time it worked and got stuff started, went into labor on my own and it decided to stop at 5 cm! So she broke my water and that didn't help finally she just hooked me up...but, that may be because she broke my waters. Maybe its ok if your water didn't break yet? I would just keep an eye on it and how long it is taking for the contractions, if its more than a few hours I would call and see what they say. Lol, I would be scared it would start up and I would fully dilate before I could get there! My friend was 3 cm and when she started active labor it only took her 2 hours to have him! 6 is pretty far along so if you start getting racked with contractions sometimes those last few cm's can go really quick!

i never knew that they would let you walk around 6 cm. I mean just breaking your water could have gotton things going better. Even if you are just 36 weeks. I think it better than walking around 6 cm where risk of infection still can happen. My mom walked around 4cm for about 3 weeks and they induced her because labor didnt start

No mdjoy she said I'm not yet full term so they can't do anything to stop or help labor come

Oh wow! Really! Well that stinks! I mean 6 cm.. they are going to let you walk around like that! What if you go into active labor and you dilate quick!!!??? I would be so scared to poop! Lol, sounds silly I know:haha:.. but all I can think is those stories you hear about ladies who didn't know they were in labor or who had very quick births and baby's were born in the oddest places :dohh:

In order for someone to be in labor u have to have patterned contractions which I don't now I had then on Saturday morning at 3 am and stayed home to wait for it to go away then at around seven they continued to every 4 mint I went in they said I was 5 and the gave me pain med helped a little but then I was check couple hours after and I was 6 cm then later that day the contractions went away and I was checked and I was still 6 cm so then I asked if I could do the bed rest at home

I don't know about that. I'm surprised the hospital let you leave? I would think they either would start pitocin at 6cm or break your water to get things going but I never heard of them letting someone walk around at 6cm dilated. You run risk of infection and having baby very quickly at home if labor starts up again. I would honestly go back to the hospital.

i never knew that they would let you walk around 6 cm. I mean just breaking your water could have gotton things going better. Even if you are just 36 weeks. I think it better than walking around 6 cm where risk of infection still can happen. My mom walked around 4cm for about 3 weeks and they induced her because labor didnt start

Well not really walk around I'm supposed to be on bed rest at home and as for the infection my water isn't broken yet I'm just dialated but I was induced during my last baby I had at 34 weeks just incase I get a infection I was at 32 weeks when my water broke and I was at 6 cm also but becuz my water was broken I had to be induce at 34 weeks

Ohhhh wow hon... :hugs::hugs: I was miserable being 4 cm for 2 weeks, let alone 6 cm.. I felt like baby was going to just fall out on me! I feel for you. That said, I'm very surprised they sent you home with you being 6cm. I was 36 1/2 and at 6 cm my labor stalled with my son, but doctor said she was not comfortable sending me home at that late of a stage. I had been in labor since 29 weeks. She pushed it along for me. I can see why they don't want to push it along, but are you close to the hospital if you do go into labor again? It could go very fast from here on out.. Not saying it WILL, just that it COULD. A friend of mine went from 6 to 10 in maybe 30 minutes. I hope all goes well for you and that you get relief soon!

its just soo weird epecially here in the states. I know that if you are anything past 4 they will keep you. And they will only let you walk around 4 for so long before they induce you. Are you on bed rest until 37 weeks when your considered full term? Im sorry hun that must be awful. I hope things do get started for you soon though xx

Ohhhh wow hon... :hugs::hugs: I was miserable being 4 cm for 2 weeks, let alone 6 cm.. I felt like baby was going to just fall out on me! I feel for you. That said, I'm very surprised they sent you home with you being 6cm. I was 36 1/2 and at 6 cm my labor stalled with my son, but doctor said she was not comfortable sending me home at that late of a stage. I had been in labor since 29 weeks. She pushed it along for me. I can see why they don't want to push it along, but are you close to the hospital if you do go into labor again? It could go very fast from here on out.. Not saying it WILL, just that it COULD. A friend of mine went from 6 to 10 in maybe 30 minutes. I hope all goes well for you and that you get relief soon!

Thanks but just stressing out a little I feel like I'm lost on when I'm going to give birth it could happen today tomro in two weeks just don't know

its just soo weird epecially here in the states. I know that if you are anything past 4 they will keep you. And they will only let you walk around 4 for so long before they induce you. Are you on bed rest until 37 weeks when your considered full term? Im sorry hun that must be awful. I hope things do get started for you soon though xx

Yes until 37 weeks

I hope so to I'm trired of playing a guessing game I'm so scared to do anything

Thanks but just stressing out a little I feel like I'm lost on when I'm going to give birth it could happen today tomro in two weeks just don't know

I can only imagine! It's a hard line to be stuck on. You want baby to stay put as long as possible, but at the same time that is NOT a stage that would be comfortable to sit in for long. I can't imagine you'd last 2 weeks, but hey babies definitely have a mind of their own when it comes to labor! They come when they say it's time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->