6 centimeters dialated for how long

My friend went into labor at 36.5 weeks and dilated to 6cm and then labor totally stopped so her midwife sent her home. She waited another 2 weeks for labor to start again in earnest and when it did, it was quick. 2 hours and 2 pushes.

So yeah, it does happen, and if your water isn't broken, some caregivers will let it start up again by itself.

Ohhhh wow hon... :hugs::hugs: I was miserable being 4 cm for 2 weeks, let alone 6 cm.. I felt like baby was going to just fall out on me! I feel for you. That said, I'm very surprised they sent you home with you being 6cm. I was 36 1/2 and at 6 cm my labor stalled with my son, but doctor said she was not comfortable sending me home at that late of a stage. I had been in labor since 29 weeks. She pushed it along for me. I can see why they don't want to push it along, but are you close to the hospital if you do go into labor again? It could go very fast from here on out.. Not saying it WILL, just that it COULD. A friend of mine went from 6 to 10 in maybe 30 minutes. I hope all goes well for you and that you get relief soon!

Thanks but just stressing out a little I feel like I'm lost on when I'm going to give birth it could happen today tomro in two weeks just don't know

I can only imagine! It's a hard line to be stuck on. You want baby to stay put as long as possible, but at the same time that is NOT a stage that would be comfortable to sit in for long. I can't imagine you'd last 2 weeks, but hey babies definitely have a mind of their own when it comes to labor! They come when they say it's time!
Ur so rit my last baby I had was playing the same game but it was harder she started from 1 cm at 18 weeks then 4 cm at 20 ish weeks then 6 cm with broken water but then I ened up making it to 34 weeks I was induce I could have mad it further if my water wasn't broken but being that my water was broken I had to be induced

But with her I had to stay months in the hospital that why I refused this time to stay in the hospital I had enough with my last baby I do not miss a bit of it

Anytime you're 4cm you're supposed to stay in the hospital and they will give you pitocin to get things started. If you only got to like, 5-6cm and it stopped, they would break your waters and that's when the contractions should really get strong. I can't believe you're able to walk around like that. I know you're not really walking around, just on bedrest, but still. I'm sure you feel some type of pain, no? My goodness, I would go back to the hospital. Even though you don't want to, I really doubt you'll have to be there that long without anything going on. I would assume they would give you something to kickstart your contractions. 6cm...that's scary.

Sounds like your body likes to do this lol! I would just put your feet up, relax at home with your daughter and expect to go within the next week or 2 :) I get the weekly progesterone shots too and I remember the Dr saying it takes about 8-10 days for it to be out of your system and thats when labor might start.

If your baby is in no danger and your water has not been broken..then being dilated even to 6 cm is no cause for alarm. Yes, most hospitals will break your water, give you pitocin, etc., but it's not necessary as long as baby is not in distressed. How long you can sit at 6cm and not go into labor...I honestly don't know. But if your doctors are not concerned and you are being monitored then that's a good sign ;)

Not that long ago, there was a woman that was sitting at 8cm at 41+ weeks..she had her whole birthing crew at her home and then she just stopped progressing so everyone went home. It wasn't until 5 days later that she went back into labor and had her baby.

My mother was 6 centimeters dilated her entire last month with her second to last pregnancy. Her water never broke either. When she finally started having contractions everything happened very quickly.

I was dilated 1cm at 29 weeks, then 2cm at 38ish, 3cm and 40 weeks. My doctor would joke that she wouldnt see me again for an appointment because she thought I would go any day for weeks. Like the other gals said, if you water is intact, youre fine :) I wont put money on it, but I bet with baby no. 2 ill end up like this or something like it. I have a irritable uterus and cervix funneling while pregnant so we will see what happens. Good luck :)

Thanks everyone I gess I'm just Gona have to wait and see on wat happenes

Hey girl. I'm from MI, too. Just wanted to send some love. However, not to worry you, but my OB said to me during my labor with my previous pregnancy that anything after 4cm is considered active labor. I'm really surprised they sent you home. If your waters break at home, with as far as you are along, you could have the baby very quickly. Granted, you can always elect to go home and labor there so long as your waters haven't broke, but that doesn't always make it the best choice. It's up to you, but tbh if i were you i would go back to the hospital. It's always best to be safe, rather than sorry.

Either way, keep us posted. 36 weeks is fine to have a baby. It's not ideal, but it's not far off from full term. I hope you're holding your wee one soon and feeling better.

:hugs:

It's only classed as active labour if you are 4cm and contracting too... If your body isn't contracting then technically your not labouring. As the OP said, she is 36 weeks, still has her waters intact which means there is no risk of infection and baby is okay there for she won't be induced as baby is still technically classed as early. It is more of an annoyance than anything.
Most hospitals have different policies and I completely understand why they are leaving you... The longer baby cooks and is happy, the better. If the hospital notice any changes to you or the baby, I'm sure they will act and no doubt that will be keeping a close eye on you x

It's only classed as active labour if you are 4cm and contracting too... If your body isn't contracting then technically your not labouring. As the OP said, she is 36 weeks, still has her waters intact which means there is no risk of infection and baby is okay there for she won't be induced as baby is still technically classed as early. It is more of an annoyance than anything.
Most hospitals have different policies and I completely understand why they are leaving you... The longer baby cooks and is happy, the better. If the hospital notice any changes to you or the baby, I'm sure they will act and no doubt that will be keeping a close eye on you x

Thank you that is wat I'm trying to explain to everyone on my case

Hey girl. I'm from MI, too. Just wanted to send some love. However, not to worry you, but my OB said to me during my labor with my previous pregnancy that anything after 4cm is considered active labor. I'm really surprised they sent you home. If your waters break at home, with as far as you are along, you could have the baby very quickly. Granted, you can always elect to go home and labor there so long as your waters haven't broke, but that doesn't always make it the best choice. It's up to you, but tbh if i were you i would go back to the hospital. It's always best to be safe, rather than sorry.

Either way, keep us posted. 36 weeks is fine to have a baby. It's not ideal, but it's not far off from full term. I hope you're holding your wee one soon and feeling better.

:hugs:
aww thanks Hun I hope I can hang in there and have a chance to say I have a full term baby lol any ways that's cool ur from the Great Lakes to I bairley find people on here from the lakes lol I will keep everyone on here up dated so if anyone had the same problem

I went from being told I was 6cm to pushing in 10 minutes. My first labour I ent from 7 - 10 in 9 minites. I would have thought they would keep you in incase it goes quick x

I was in hospital when i was 6cm dilated, i stayed at that from 12am till 10am so 10 hours then they decided it was time to pop my waters as i wasnt going to budge on my own anymore, to be honest i cant really believe they left me that long!! x

I went from my dr appt last week to this week went from a 1-2 to 5-6 currently
Im 37 weeks and I am not having contractions or pain just lots of pressure when I walk. Dr sent me home legally he can't do anything to jump start labor because I have to be at 39 weeks california law. Feeling really tired
This is day two since I found out.

I've heard of women being at 5 for 2-3 weeks but you're the first 6 I've heard of! At least you know your labor will most likely be quick and relatively easy. How far away from the hospital is your house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->