6 month old cries in her sleep - wakes every hour!!

AllyMV88

Reaction score
My daughter is 6 months old.
From about 3.5 months until 2 weeks ago, she was a sleeping beauty. She slept through the night, some nights just waking up to drink 2 oz (I formula feed), and then she'd fall back asleep.
*We try to get her to bed at 9pm (wind down time starts at 8pm), and she wakes around 5/6am*

The last 2 weeks though, she's been screaming bloody murder in her sleep. So me and my SO jump out of bed to see her thinking she's hurt herself in her crib (she sleeps in her own room).
All she wants is to be held and cuddled/rocked back to sleep.

Trust me, I'd cuddle her for the rest of her life, but mama needs some sleep! She does this every hour. She'll sleep from 9/9:30-11, and then start the crying.

Is there any advice some mamas may have regarding this?
When we went to her 6month check up last week, we mentioned it and her doctor didn't really say anything about it. She just advised us to try and not pick her up every time, to just make her fall back asleep in the crib. But she doesn't. She'll start shaking if we don't pick her up.

PLEASE HELP!

I would suspect it could be teething. Mine started this at exactly 6 months and it lasted a few weeks. Waking every hour and distressed. We knew it was teething, so we gave calpol twice a night (before bed and then once middle of the night) and then at every waking, a small feed seemed to settle her down. I just kept the bottle there and used it until we went past the 2 hour mark and then we made a fresh one (waking every hour pretty much meant we could just squeeze three small feeds out of each bottle before we needed to make a fresh one, which meant less getting up in the middle of the night, she slept next to me, so literally didn't even sit up to feed her those nights). It only lasted a few weeks and then when the teeth popped through all went back to normal.

Have you also recently started solids? I also found the first few weeks of solids were rough and around the same time. She would wake and be really disrupted and her stomach would just be gurgling and really noisy even when she slept. I think it was just getting used to all the strange new food, in combination with teething. My money is definitely on teething though. That was usually the most obvious sign whenever it happened, that waking up nearly hourly and seeming really distressed.

She has her two bottom teeth (she got them at 4 months).
We slowly started introducing solids at 4.5 months, as per her doctor. Since 5 months she's been having solids at least twice a day.

I have Camilia drops that I bought when she first started teething. I have felt her gums and haven't felt any more teeth coming through (it is a tough one trying to feel or look at her gums - she puts up a fight). I will have to check though if they look swollen.

Teething is my guess too ..... They are distracted during the day so don't notice as much but when they are resting / sleeping ouch it can hurt :( if its bad I'd try some baby paracetamol to give her some relief or a herbal remedy such as teeth ex

Emma has been much the same. Slept brilliantly until about 5.5 months - started waking and crying frequently and it hasn't let up. She doesn't wake hourly, but has done so on bad nights.

She generally wakes about 8:30pm, 10ish, midnight, then 3:30am which I get up afterwards as I get sick of trying to fall back asleep. These are the times where she needs lots of help getting back to sleep. Other times she will cry out once or twice, find her thumb and go back to sleep again. But it still wakes me up, she's in the bed with me. I gave up on her sleeping elsewhere.

Doubt it is anything to do with teething in my case. She got 3 teeth at 8/9 months, which was late compared to my other kids, and one other emerged quickly afterwards, then nothing since. She just turned one on the 21st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->