6 month old hfm :(

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
So my 4 year old picked up hfm from school (can't think where else he could have got it) and now 6 month old has it :(

His temp is 38.4 and his really tired and currently laying on my chest poor baby. His also got tiny spot/blisters just a few on hand and one on foot, his neck and on eye lid but it's only just the beginning. 4 year old has been unwell since Monday and I only noticed his mouth and hand blisters today.

I only have calpol at the moment and have called 111 for advice and waiting on calpol, I'm just not sure if he should have 2.5ml or 5ml as he only turned 6 months Friday?

Anyways I'll wait for the call back but any advice would be appreciate

Medicines for babies and children should be given in a dose by weight of the baby/child. Poor thing and poor you having two sick kids to look after!

Poor baby, HFM isn't nice for them. I had to give my baby girl calpol today (she has a fever and was groggy but I haven't worked out why yet, which is worrying me slightly) and I decided to stick to the 2.5ml dose and probably will do until she's comfortably past 6 months as she's lighter than average, but I'd have felt more comfortable giving my son the 5ml dose at the same age as he was much larger than average. Please don't take that as advice, it's just what I feel comfortable with. If your baby is likely to need quite a few doses over the coming days to help control the fever and discomfort, then I'd definitely ask for specific doseage advice based on weight.

You poor thing . Our house has just been through HFM its a nasty nasty virus!!!! My 2.5 year old was in an awful state with it . GP told me to give both calpol and nuerophen as needed to keep on top of pain and also to above all keep him hydrated . Thankfully after around 2-3 days he was over the worst of it . I was literally terrified my 4 month old would get it , kept them separated as much as I could and thankfully she didn't . We are not out of the woods yet though as aparently the virus lives in salivia and proof or weeks !!

If it were me I'd give 2.5mls of calpol every 4 hours at 6 months if needed . Hopefully they got mild doses of it xxxx

Thanks girls. It's tough them both being sick especially as partner is out of of country so it's just me and kids.

Well the dr rang back from 111 and said based on weight I should give 3.5ml every 4 hours. Never heard of that dosage before but he also mentioned giving nurofene as well but I don't have any at home. I'll try get him an emergency apt with the GP later on and ask them about it.

I gave him the medicine and he slept fine but woke in the night boiling and wanted feeding quite a bit x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->