6 month old "swatting" with arm? Normal?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by channy3232, Dec 14, 2009.

1. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

So Rocco started this a few days ago where he just starts moving his arm up and down. I've gotten in the way a few times and it hurts! Lol sometimes he does it with a toy in his hand. Sometimes it's just like he's smacking an imaginary drum or something.
    it's just an up and down motion with his right arm. I'm just paranoid because my nephew is autistic and I know repetitive motions are a sign. Does anyone elses' baby do this??

2. louise1302

louise1302 mum to FIVE boys :)

its normal hun archie does it all the time, he started off one arm and now at 10m does it with both, it gets irritating as he has to 'smack' everything including his food

3. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Alex still does it at nearly 8 months old :lol:

4. sarah0108

sarah0108 Well-Known Member

Yep we have that over here too!
    everything gets smacked haha x

5. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

Ethan started doing it a couple of weeks ago as well - he started off smacking his bottle during feeds, now he's smacking all his toys too :) He is also kicking a lot - one leg up and down all the time, then he swaps legs :)

6. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

Halen does it as well, mostly when I'm feeding him, so my poor boobs get a whack, and when he's trying to go to sleep so he's wakes himself up lol x

7. v2007

v2007 Well-Known Member

Katie is 8 months and she does it, i think its so cute. She does it more so when she is relaxed, like drifting off to sleep or when she is feeding.

V xxxx

8. channy3232

Phewwwww! Thanks ladies! That makes me feel better.
    And he scratches everything too, to feel the texture. I think it's cute.

9. kirsten1985

kirsten1985 Guest

Yeah Freya does this, I get whacked in the face when she is feeding, get slapped on my back/neck when she is in the sling, she does it with food, toys, on the mirror, anything. My mum is convinced she is waving, :dohh: Lol. It's like her whole arm does it, all at once.

She also loves scratching stuff, she is well into texture and a label (on clothes or a teddy) will occupy her for ages.

10. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

Halen scratches my chest until it almost bleeds in the sling :( so I put mittens on him and he sucks them so their cold n wet lol

11. Lucy_lu_84

Lucy_lu_84 Pregnant with #2

yeah we get scrathes and hit to. Bloody hurts when he has a toy in his hand... I always flinch when he hits himself but he carries on ...up and down up and down lol

12. x-Rainbow-x

x-Rainbow-x Mum to Phoebe, Alex n Ben

Alex bangs everything , highchair , toys, us when he's going to sleep!

he scratches alot to , especially the pads in his car seat, the sound drives me mad :rofl:

13. nikkip19

nikkip19 expecting #1 :)

oh my luca punches everything!!! we co-sleep so when its time to wake up he lets us know by swatting us in the face!

14. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

Lol sounds just like Violet! Especially the mirror - hope she isn't meaning to hit other babies! :lol:

She loves labels too for some reason?? And constantly scratches everything.

She's also got a thing about grabbing my mouth, nose and ears :lol:

15. channy3232

Rocco loves tags on things too. His stuffed animals especially. He will touch them and feel them like he's inspecting them. It's like he's thinking "why does this bear have a white thing on it's butt?" lol
    And now whenever I change him and we're leaving his room he has to scratch his door on the way out. It makes me cringe though cause it can't feel good on his little fingernails!