6 weeks pregnant having panic attacks

Andrealk

First pregnancy
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have a history of depression and anxiety, which I treated in the past. I was off anti-depressants 2 years ago, and I was only taking Xanax here and there when I felt the attack coming my way. Let's say I was doing good! When I found out I was pregnant I completely stopped the Xanax, not that I was taking much, maybe like half a pill every 3 or 4 days if I needed it. I was doing fine for the last 4 weeks but this week all of a sudden I started getting massive panic attacks, feeling like I am choking, can't breath, I have a big knot in my stomach, start crying etc... I am not sure what to do as I don't have my visit with Obgyn until the 20th. I try to listen to relaxation tapes and breath but sometimes is too much. Any advice?
Thank you!

I've also struggled with anxiety/depression for years, so I know that feeling of panic. I was also dx with hypothyroidism a couple yrs ago which there is a STRONG link to Undiagnosed/ untreated hypothyroidism and anxiety/depression. So, I would really encourage you to find out if u are hypo. Also, I know it sounds strange, but personally, if I have any kind of GI imbalance ( constipated, diarrhea, stomach upset) I get more panicky. The vagus nerve runs right past the stomach, and can get irritated, resulting in that "fight or flight " response.

As far as what you can do. Stay hydrated ( most of us are chronically dehydrated, especially during pg), if your are having GI symptoms, get those under control. Take a warm bath( not too hot) relax with some nice music. Don't google ANYTHING, lol. Just feeds that panic cycle.

I would also encourage you to do all you can to stay off meds for your pg, especially dor the first trimester as that's when the majority of neural development occurs. I'm not suggesting putting yourself in harms way, or
anything, but Drs will tell you that the meds are safe, and that's really not true. BUT, I do understand they're might come a time when that is the best option. I pray you have a HAPPY and HEALTHY 9 months!!! :)

You poor thing :hugs: can you at least talk to your ob? Be sure you are getting adequate b vitamins. Can you do some mild exercise, like yoga? Can you afford to work with a therapist? Hypnosis can work well. I know there are some homeopathic things, like hylands calms, but not sure if they are safe during pregnancy. Also magnesium can help, but your ob would have to approve it. Just remember that you don't die from a panic attack. Remind yourself of this when you are going through it. It's a totally natural response that your body is going through and comes in handy if we are in a life or death situation. It rushes the blood to our limbs to put us in flight or fight mode. Unfortunately for you it's coming in the wrong situations, but just remind yourself that it's just your body reacting and it WILL pass. Most people freak out about the fact that they are having an attack and it causes it to last longer. Hoping you get past this very soon :hugs:

:hugs: I'm sorry you've been struggling with anxiety. I have panic attacks a lot too, been of meds for a few years but still took Xanax here and there to get me through. I took a Xanax the day before my bfp!

Definitely speak with your OB about options for panic attacks. What works for me is doing puzzles or reading, sometimes I'll lean back propped on pillows with a heat pad or ice pack on the back of my neck - whichever seems more soothing at the moment. Or I'll go for a walk, sometimes moving around outside in the air reminds me I'm alright and can breathe just fine no matter what my mind is telling me.

Always remember, your panic attack won't hurt you, and no matter how bad it feels in the moment - it will pass. Lot's of times when we feel we're about to lose our minds we're already at the worst of the attack and we just keep on going and it passes.:hugs:

Hi there,
I can't thank you enough for your words and support. I haven't told many people that I am pregnant so it's hard to explain to them and get their support. Besides people who have never experienced panic attacks/depression they think you are making it up. I have noticed that when I get them is usually when I am on the train commuting to work, where I just feel even more embarrassed. What I do is text my husband, who is actually very good are calming me down, talking about mundane things not related. I will definitely look into the hypothyroidism when I see the Obgyn. I do not want to take meds. I am going to Spain in June and I am dreading the flight, I hate flying and before I used to take a sleeping pill for the trip, but now I can't and it's freaking me out having to spend 8 hours in panic mode.
Thank you for your words,
Andrea

It is very difficult to share about anxiety, it's strange to say I feel that my husband and BIL are the only people I can speak to about it and they totally understand. Hubby because well, he's my hubby lol and BIL because he's suffered with anxiety as well.

I'm so happy to hear your husband is supportive and good at calming you down. Commuting always gets me anxious too, for me it's the act of getting somewhere but once I'm there I can be fine. Perhaps you could speak to your doctor about options for the plane ride with panic attacks. I'm not sure there's anything you could take, but they would know. Take plenty of things to do to try and busy yourself. I have a cd called Putumayo presents Yoga and I find it super relaxing, sometimes I'll put headphones in and just move my body around to the sounds while trying to picture the panic feelings leaving as I move. Sounds crazy, but sometimes it works :)

My doc said Xanax use at small doses was okay but I'd consult your own doc first. Good luck, I suffer panic disorder so I know what you're going through.

Oh my goodness, thank goodness it isn't just me. I found out a couple of days ago I was expecting and have since just freaked out. I suffer, stress, anxiety and depression and haven't taken meds for 7 months now, but keep panicking and then panicking that I'm panicking too much and I might harm bub. I just don't know what to do, I'm constantly nauseas so can't eat, but I'm scared about what I can and can't eat and do.... I've just moved in with my boyfriend to a new area and don't know many people, we haven't told anyone and I am waiting for an appointment with the mid wife, I want to go to doctors to talk but feel like I'd just waste there time....

Dawn x

I am freaking out. I am 40 years old, I am overweight, I have been ttc for about 4 years. I found out a couple weeks ago that I am pregnant, I am now 6 weeks pregnant. I have an appointment with my ob on the 14th. I have been freaking out. I think part of it is, I haven't told very many people, cause it all seems like a dream and I don't have doctor confirmation or anything like that but I did miss my period and I took 3 pregnancy tests that all came up positive. Sorry I am babbling. I am freaking out, I feel like it is hard to breathe. I was asleep last night and all of a sudden I woke up and felt like I couldn't breathe and then I was afraid to go back to sleep, it kind of made my husband mad which didn't help, he told me that I did it before. Its probably cause I am overweight and I snore. I don't know, I am freaking out and I feel like I can't breathe and I don't know what to do and I really wish I could lose weight or something, but I know you shouldn't diet when you are pregnant cause its not good for the baby. I know I just need to relax but it is so hard. Thanks for reading this, I've never done anything like this before but I am desperate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->