6 year old stomach ache - help!

Natnee

Mummy to Belle
Reaction score
So my 6 year old daughter keeps complaining about having a stomach ache. So it started a couple of weeks ago, to begin with it was literally 5 minutes before we left for school and I pretty much dismissed it, thinking 'nice try'. It became daily, then as soon as she got up, then in evenings and also at school, she sat out of PE last week.

At first I thought it could be nerves as she competed in her first tap competition on Saturday but it's still happening. She says there's nothing worrying her at school and she says she likes school. She's eating ok, she's going to the toilet ok. No other symptoms.

I took her to the gp yesterday who had a feel of her tummy and could feel nothing wrong and said it could just be a 'child thing' that their tummys can be more sensitive.

Anyone else had this? Did it just go away or what happened?

Xxx

Could it be a food sensitivity thing? Maybe something in her diet is causing it. I have a few friends with Celiac, GERD, Crohns, etc and their symptoms started in childhood. Regulating their diet against types of foods that trigger reactions si the main way for them to control it. It may be worth trying an elimination type diet to see if you notice removing any specific food helping the problem.

We had exactly this, but added to that she had spills of being convinced she was going to be sick but she never was. On those occasions, we usually discovered she had got over hungry. We tried her on peppermint tea and made sure we didn't let her go too long without eating something.

Then there were the many occasions it was a sore tummy without feeling sick- every single night at bedtime and every morning. It turned out with her, it was anxiety. She was terrified of her teacher and one of her so called friends was making her life a misery too.

We bought those rescue remedy gummy stars from Holland and Barratt and they seemed to work.

Now she has a different teacher and the sore tummy hasn't made an appearance at all since the start of the summer holidays!

Hope you find out what it is - it's horrible when you don't know 😕

My 5 year old does this a lot I think it's anxiety but that makes it hard.to know how to treat. I don't want to dismiss it but I don't want to validate it too much as he will do it again. I usually show some mild.sympathy and try and distract him which has worked up to now.

Hi. I had the same issue with my son. He was complaining of his stomach hurting. everything was normal - he was eating properly, having enough pees in the day, going for a poo regularly, so I couldn't work out what was wrong. I took him to the doctor and he said there was nothing wrong that he could see. Even his teacher sent a note home saying he was often complaining of his tummy hurting. I thought it might be anxiety or something at school, but he has great friends and really enjoys school.

My friend is a pharmacist and she told me to try cutting dairy out for a while, particularly milk. I was giving my son full fat milk with cereal and then he was having milk at school and when he got home. We cut out the milk and replaced with coconut milk (KoKo) and his stomach pains stopped. He still has coconut milk for his cereal and I have stopped his milk at school. He is OK having cheese - it seemed to be the milk that was causing the problem. And the other one is when they hold their pee in for ages.... my son wont go to for a wee when he gets up, like most people. So, I make sure he has a wee when he gets up, as that can also cause stomach pain.

Hope you manage to find something to help your little one.

My sister suffered with this as a child and my daughter does now. it is growing pains - my sister says nothing except pain relief will help. Do not cut stuff out of their diets unless under medical supervision.

Well not sure what was going on, as stomach ache hasn't reared itself for several weeks now! I think something mustve worried her and it became a 'habit' perhaps?
This morning though it was a headache she had, gave calpol and sent her to school and she was fine all day then as soon as she came out it was headache again!! She's not mentioned it since we got home and she's gone off to Rainbows ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->