I consider natural to be vaginal to be honest, but not vontouse/forceps as that's assisted x

this is what I consider it to be too. The pain relief is just classed as having no pain relief. When you are questioned about it by midwives and drs they always seperate it...."did you have a natural birth?" " did you use pain relief?"

I consider myself to be extremely lucky in that I had the birth I wanted- at home in water. I consider it natural, although I did use some G & A in the 1st stage. However, I'm not so smug as to say every woman can have a birth like mine. I was fortunate not to have any complications. I am proud of my naural birth, but I'm proud of all women for what we achieve.

Can I just point out that a c section is major surgery and by know means a 'easy way out'. It is the only surgery where you don't get to lie in bed to rest and recooperate for a week with morphine on demand! You have a baby to care for. And many women (myself included) go through a long and painful labour before having a c section.

My body was pushed to it's absolute limits, I was so tired, exhausted and in so much pain the week after my delivery that I couldn't stop shaking. Don't even get me started on the shock and emotional recovery)

I am proud of my body for the fact it created a life and no matter how that life came unto the world, I did it! All women should feel proud no matter how they delivered xx

Very true hun xx :flower: xx

I'd love a water birth next time :)

Can someone explain how forceps fail please, I don't understand how?
My bubs got stuck so I had an episiotomy (does that word make anyone else cringe?!) which I didn't feel at the time but bloody did after!
Why do they do either forceps or episiotomy as they do the same thing, don't they? 'Release' a trapped baby I mean?

Forceps are used when the baby is too high usually and an episiotomy is performed when the baby is coming up to crowning and its done to let the head come out if really necessary they try not to do it unless they really have to as a tear heals better than a cut. Thats why when you have a section they make a small incision then tear apart your muscles and stomach and uterus as the fibrous tissues knit together better.

I had forceps because Ava hadnt moved down the birth canal to be born and her heart was dipping very low after a long labour and my waters having been gone so long they needed to get her out asap and obviously a c section is a last resort. They couldnt get her out with forceps therefore they failed :(

xx

There are a very different ways to 'release' a trapped baby and it depends why they are trapped.

Forceps = not moving down the birth canal

Episiotomy = expecting a tear/head is big

Clavicle fracture/additional maneuvers = head out, shoulder blades stuck behind pubic bone (this is what my boy had...)

For mine, his head was out, so she did an episiotomy and shoved her hands inside, then broke his collarbone and yanked him out... forceps wouldn't have done anything and the episiotomy was useless.

I do admire women who do it with absolutely nothing but also I wonder why they dont want any pain relief. Higher pain threshold? Trying to prove a point? Being a martyr? Not wanting to "drug up" their baby (most medications dont affect the baby anyway)......

Each to their own though :) for me I didnt see the point in being in pain if I didnt need to be. I would've ended up with a section either way as she was too big for me, even the midwives commented theres no way I'd have been able to birth her naturally unfortunatley :( xx

Honestly, for me (and a lot of other people) being immobilised by an epidural or being on medication that make feel like you're not quite with it, is far more scary than feeling the pain. I stood up, leaned against OH and breathed through my contractions which made them manageable.
When something is as important as bringing a baby into the world, do you honestly think that people would choose to be martryr or to prove a point? I'm not having a go at you, honestly I am not, because I hear a lot of women saying this, but it really find it very ill informed when people suggest those kind of reasons for a natural birth.

lol :flower:

I dont know I suppose because of all the health issues I've had in the past I've always been full of drugs lol so I'm pretty blase towards medication, just my opinion of course, but I've never been able to understand why if you're in pain you dont want to take anything to help?? Thats a genuine question btw not saying that to piss anyone off of course as I said anyone that can do it without pain relief just amazes me lol either that or they have a massive vaj lol :rofl:

I've met a lot of women who just point blank refused because "we were made to do it" and they've gone on and on and on about how much pain they were in and how they had pain after etc etc I have to stop myself from shouting "HAVE SOME EFFING PAIN RELIEF NEXT TIME THEN" lol :winkwink:

In my experience the women who have made comments like that are the ones that had a lovely, floaty, natural, happy happy, smiley smiley, pass me a bucket to puke in, experience lol (yes I am very bitter :rofl:)

That syntocinon is a bitch though show me a woman who doesnt demand every drug going when on that and I'll eat my knickers :hha: xx

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL...... Well just entinox,, Now EAT them hehehe.. AND he was back to back :) BUT like I mentioned before, because of that shit and them making it sooo strong, my muscles are torn, any more I would have needed surgery to fix them around my ribs:nope:

There are a very different ways to 'release' a trapped baby and it depends why they are trapped.

Clavicle fracture/additional maneuvers = head out, shoulder blades stuck behind pubic bone (this is what my boy had...)

For mine, his head was out, so she did an episiotomy and shoved her hands inside, then broke his collarbone and yanked him out... forceps wouldn't have done anything and the episiotomy was useless.

Oh my gosh you poor thing!

I had c-sec under general anaesthetic..... Im hard as nails :haha: ... not my choice but thats life!

However I had my daughter naturally.... was not allowed pain relief so that I would be fully aware of what was happening and 'deal with it' No magic 'natural high' for me though. I guess you dont get that bit when your baby has already passed away inside you.

I dont care how any babies get in to the world.. as long as they do safe and sound.

:hugs: brave lady xxx

I had induction, G&A, morphine, an epidural (briefly during a 3 day labour), "assisted" delivery with intentional collarbone fracture, okay, so he came out of my vagina, who cares - he's ALIVE and that's all that matters to me.

Over-interventions contributed a lot to the eventual disaster at the end, so I really hate the martyr/medal comments personally. I think more babies would be born healthier/safer if we refrained from overuse of medications/interventions, but I'll be the first to admit it's horribly painful to cope with!

I do and I don't agree. I agree that some decisions shouldn't be rushed but in my case, it was assumed I was being lazy - I laboured at home for 4 days, went into hospital on the 4th day which was a Friday at 7cm and went straight into delivery ward - pool was free so went into pool, when I was fully dielated at 10pm I had the urge to push so it was all systems go, had a talk from the MW about what to expect and then suddenly nothing . . . . my daughter wasn't born until 7.10am the Sat morning. She had gotten stuck and there was no way I would of been able to get her out.

So the first part, being in the pool (and I had G&A) no intervention was fine but I don't know why I was left so long and forced to push for hours and hours when nothing . . . . no one would listen to me that things were wrong.

Also, in my friends case, her first baby was born and they noted that she should have a c-section the second time as she had a narrow pelvis. Her 2nd baby was bigger than her first but they wouldn't do the c-section, that lead to complications and affected her second baby quite badly.

So I guess, as with everything, a balance is needed. :flower:

I agree me and Ava would have died had we not had medical intervention. After 12 hours with G&A and one dose of diamorphine (peth) my contractions slowed down too much and she was at risk of infection. I'll be having an elective with the next one as my pelvis is small too and the likelihood of the same thing happening is pretty high. I dont want to miss my babies first sounds and forget what she looked like when she came out, all I remember is my mum holding her cos Mark passed out from seeing my stomach ripped open and looking at them through tears cos I was too weak to hold her :cry: xx

Hmm. My first delivery I had no pain relief until I got to the hospital at 8cm dilated, filled with confidence that Mog was coming out in the next couple of hours. She was malpresented with one hand up by her face, and absolutely wasn't coming out. After pushing for 4.5 hours with gas and air, I was given a spinal block and she was yanked out over forty minutes with the help of a ventouse and then some forceps, not to mention an anaesthetist, a paedetrician, a registrar, two midwives and a junior doctor.

My second delivery, I used a Tens machine at home, was 4cm at hospital, had gas and air for a couple of hours and he crowned without me realising. 6 mins later he was out. My second delivery was better in many ways, not least of which was that my baby didn't have to go to special care, go on antibiotics for three days and generally get stabbed with needles. But I don't think I could have done anything in my first delivery to make it go like my second, I didn't do anything differently at home other than use a TENS, I didn't do anything differently during my pregnancy, she was just in a sucky position. So it kind of irritates me when people bleat about needing to believe in your ability to birth your baby - Imogen would have died if they hadn't pulled her out, it's as simple as that, and I will always be grateful that they managed it because she was so far down the birth canal a c section would have been almost impossible.

me too - they're usually the people who have had nice deliveries lol, er try doing it the way we had to then you might not be so cock sure!! (not you lol the ladies who make stupid comments like that pmsl) xx

For someone that had G&A it is NOT A PAIN RELIEF!! LOL.

same here, i thought it might and was sucking on the tube really hard, HOWEVER the pethidine was lovely :haha:

Peth was ACE!! G&A just gave me something to concentrate on though it seemed to help when I had breakthrough pain when the epi was failing x

Can I also just add that I truly admire anyone who has a section. I honestly believe a natural delivery is easier. I am terrified of surgery and when we had our hospital tour nothing made me more fearful than when we saw the surgery room and all those very scary implements.. And then there is the healing (although I too could not walk properly or do much for about 6 weeks after Ashton due to having around 40 stitches, my punani and bum were one gaping hole).. anyway, so hugs to us all, we are all amazing, we have all brought beautiful soulds into this world.. xxxxxxxxxxx

I do admire women who do it with absolutely nothing but also I wonder why they dont want any pain relief. Higher pain threshold? Trying to prove a point? Being a martyr? Not wanting to "drug up" their baby (most medications dont affect the baby anyway)......

Each to their own though :) for me I didnt see the point in being in pain if I didnt need to be. I would've ended up with a section either way as she was too big for me, even the midwives commented theres no way I'd have been able to birth her naturally unfortunatley :( xx

Honestly, for me (and a lot of other people) being immobilised by an epidural or being on medication that make feel like you're not quite with it, is far more scary than feeling the pain. I stood up, leaned against OH and breathed through my contractions which made them manageable.
When something is as important as bringing a baby into the world, do you honestly think that people would choose to be martryr or to prove a point? I'm not having a go at you, honestly I am not, because I hear a lot of women saying this, but it really find it very ill informed when people suggest those kind of reasons for a natural birth.

I dont know I suppose because of all the health issues I've had in the past I've always been full of drugs lol so I'm pretty blase towards medication, just my opinion of course, but I've never been able to understand why if you're in pain you dont want to take anything to help?? Thats a genuine question btw not saying that to piss anyone off of course as I said anyone that can do it without pain relief just amazes me lol either that or they have a massive vaj lol :rofl:

I've met a lot of women who just point blank refused because "we were made to do it" and they've gone on and on and on about how much pain they were in and how they had pain after etc etc I have to stop myself from shouting "HAVE SOME EFFING PAIN RELIEF NEXT TIME THEN" lol :winkwink:

In my experience the women who have made comments like that are the ones that had a lovely, floaty, natural, happy happy, smiley smiley, pass me a bucket to puke in, experience lol (yes I am very bitter :rofl:)

That syntocinon is a bitch though show me a woman who doesnt demand every drug going when on that and I'll eat my knickers :hha: xx

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL...... Well just entinox,, Now EAT them hehehe.. AND he was back to back :) BUT like I mentioned before, because of that shit and them making it sooo strong, my muscles are torn, any more I would have needed surgery to fix them around my ribs:nope:

:rofl: they tasted amazing!!! xx

I had c-sec under general anaesthetic..... Im hard as nails :haha: ... not my choice but thats life!

However I had my daughter naturally.... was not allowed pain relief so that I would be fully aware of what was happening and 'deal with it' No magic 'natural high' for me though. I guess you dont get that bit when your baby has already passed away inside you.

I dont care how any babies get in to the world.. as long as they do safe and sound.

:hugs: brave lady xxx

I had induction, G&A, morphine, an epidural (briefly during a 3 day labour), "assisted" delivery with intentional collarbone fracture, okay, so he came out of my vagina, who cares - he's ALIVE and that's all that matters to me.

Over-interventions contributed a lot to the eventual disaster at the end, so I really hate the martyr/medal comments personally. I think more babies would be born healthier/safer if we refrained from overuse of medications/interventions, but I'll be the first to admit it's horribly painful to cope with!

I do and I don't agree. I agree that some decisions shouldn't be rushed but in my case, it was assumed I was being lazy - I laboured at home for 4 days, went into hospital on the 4th day which was a Friday at 7cm and went straight into delivery ward - pool was free so went into pool, when I was fully dielated at 10pm I had the urge to push so it was all systems go, had a talk from the MW about what to expect and then suddenly nothing . . . . my daughter wasn't born until 7.10am the Sat morning. She had gotten stuck and there was no way I would of been able to get her out.

So the first part, being in the pool (and I had G&A) no intervention was fine but I don't know why I was left so long and forced to push for hours and hours when nothing . . . . no one would listen to me that things were wrong.

Also, in my friends case, her first baby was born and they noted that she should have a c-section the second time as she had a narrow pelvis. Her 2nd baby was bigger than her first but they wouldn't do the c-section, that lead to complications and affected her second baby quite badly.

So I guess, as with everything, a balance is needed. :flower:

I agree me and Ava would have died had we not had medical intervention. After 12 hours with G&A and one dose of diamorphine (peth) my contractions slowed down too much and she was at risk of infection. I'll be having an elective with the next one as my pelvis is small too and the likelihood of the same thing happening is pretty high. I dont want to miss my babies first sounds and forget what she looked like when she came out, all I remember is my mum holding her cos Mark passed out from seeing my stomach ripped open and looking at them through tears cos I was too weak to hold her :cry: xx

Sorry don't get me wrong, I know that there are many women and babies here today only because of medical intervention, my beef is that sometimes medical interventions, when not necessary, can cause more harm than good (as was the case in my son's delivery).

There's medical intervention for true medical reasons and then there's medical intervention just for the hell of it, or misinformation. That, IMO, can be a dangerous thing.

Omg!!! :( this is why I am grateful for my csec, yeh it's not ideal but it was straight forward. You must have been in absolute agony afterwards and your poor baby :(

:rofl: they tasted amazing!!! xx

:haha:

Argh! Fudge me! That must've hurt. See, I REALLY didn't want drugs but I'd have been chugging back anything they gave me, and more. Fair play to you I'm forever in awe of you now.

Ouch!
How did they repair his little collarbone?

natural birth is vaginally. my lo was born using ventose but mid wife refers to me as natural.

There seems to be a lot more intervention in the US too they all wear full theatre regalia for a vaginal delivery and face masks etc its a lot more relaxed here x

natural birth birth for me is when the mothers allowed to give birth in a natural way/get in positions that she finds comfortable, I don't think pain relief stops a birth being natural, you still had to push the baby out and go through enough, I had an episiotomy and ventouse with my legs in stirrups so I guess mine wasn't natural :shrug:

I had no pain relief although I was in dire agony, I don't think its fair to assume anyone that goes through labour without pain relief did it by choice or try and make a point I would have taken anything but I couldn't stand G&A it made me feel awful , I was refused pain relief thanks to stupid midwives and had to go through labour knowing the pain was going to get worse and that I would be getting no help :dohh:

natural birth birth for me is when the mothers allowed to give birth in a natural way/get in positions that she finds comfortable, I don't think pain relief stops a birth being natural, you still had to push the baby out and go through enough, I had an episiotomy and ventouse with my legs in stirrups so I guess mine wasn't natural :shrug:

I had no pain relief although I was in dire agony, I don't think its fair to assume anyone that goes through labour without pain relief did it by choice or try and make a point I would have taken anything but I couldn't stand G&A it made me feel awful , I was refused pain relief thanks to stupid midwives and had to go through labour knowing the pain was going to get worse and that I would be getting no help :dohh:

How can they refuse pain relief. Isn't it your right to have an epidural if you want one? Unless you wait until the pushing stage to ask for it and by then I would imagine it's too late (though I have no idea, I had mine hours earlier). I would be complaining to anyone who would listen in the hospital hierarchy about my care if I was refused something that I had a right to have. It's not up to the midwives to decide whether you should have one or not unless there's a medical reason why it wouldn't be advised.

Ouch!
How did they repair his little collarbone?

Nothing, they said it would heal on it's own in a week, I just had to leave him naked (no clothes, cancelled newborn photo shoot :cry:) and give him tylenol.

There seems to be a lot more intervention in the US too they all wear full theatre regalia for a vaginal delivery and face masks etc its a lot more relaxed here x

that would freak me out lol.

when i went to surgery afterwards, the nurses wore make up (and no i wasnt spaced out at that stage). i actually asked them had they been out or going out?? none of the mw/s or gynaes wore anything other than the plastic aprons

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->