6wk 4day ER Ultrasound 8mm sac + yolk - no heartbeat or fetal pole

wantbabiesnow

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was seen in the Er on Friday with 3 days of abdominal pain. both ext and internal ultrasounds. Finding was that pain was caused by cyst on left ovary.

They said the sac was 8mm with a yolk, but no heartbeat and no fetal pole.
They said this could be cause for alarm or could be too early.
They said that 8mm was quite a large sac to not have a heartbeat, and that usually by 6mm there is a heartbeat

LMP May 13-18
Predicted Ovulation May 30th
Sex 17, 21, 28, 30
Neg HPT June 13, 6 pos HPT June 16th 2 days after missed period.
Based on hormones it is assumed conception was June 28

that would mean Friday was 6wk 4 day
Seeing OB tomorrow 5 weeks since conception 7 weeks gestational

I want a baby more than anything and googling has just freaked me out

PLEASE TELL ME your experiences

I tried googling '8mm sac with yolk but no fetal pole or heartbeat' and can't find any info

Sorry to hear you are having a worrying time.
I had a scan with my daughter at 5w1d and saw absolutely nothing. No sad. Nothing. At 7w1d I saw a very tiny blob.
Praying it's just too early. I didn't have a scan inbetween the 2 weeks so cannot compare.

Did the take your bloods to check hcg levels and progesterone? X

I got scanned a couple weeks ago at 6 weeks 3 days and the ob said she couldn't see anything. She told me it was probably a blighted ovum. Went back a week later and there was the heartbeat! ER ultrasounds are notorious for missing obstetric related things, its not their specialty. Give it a week or two and request another ultrasound at your docs, I'm sure you'll see baby then.

Umm my experience not so good and I was certain of my dates. At 6 weeks 2 days in had a 12 mm sac and yolk sac nothing else to be soon. Rescanned at 7weeks 2 days and a 1.5mm baby with heartbeat seen. Rescanned again at 8 weeks 2 days and still faint heartbeat and baby only grown another 1.5mm making it now 3mm. Already was told baby not viable as I was certain of dates. I go to tomorrow for Rescan to check heartbeat gone and hopefully d&c. It's been a horrendous experience the and I want it over with. I am told many women get their dates wrong and sometimes it a just too early but not in My case. I wish you all the best xxx

I'm also very certain of my dates.... This has been my experience so far....

June 3 - Predicted Ovulation Date and also day of Baby Dance
June 17 - Positive Pregnancy Test
June 20 - First OB appointment; Early but they were able to get me in
June 21 - First HCG draw = 94
June 25 - Second HCG draw = 320
June 27 - Visit to ER for brown spotting with occasional red since 6/20 - Another HCG draw = 402 but u/s showed gest. sac with no yolk/fetal pole [too early]
July 2 - Sudden gush of bright red blood and passing clots - Not sure if I'm going to back to the ER or just wait until July 16 for my normal scheduled appointment/ultrasound to confirm the worst or surprise me with a miracle.

It's been a hard day at work for sure...

I saw the OB today which was $250 without insurance
She wanted to do an ultrasound but I explained I just

can't afford that without insurance

OB + Bloods + US would be over $1000 without insurance

I explained to her that I'm going to call the cheap clinics + see if I can get a free or cheap ultrasound anywhere at all..

She said that's a good idea, and if I can find an affordable Ultrasound to wait until Friday next week

as that's 2 weeks after the ER U/S and then that U/S should be 100% accurate as it will be

8 weeks 5 days since period

She looked at the ER paperwork

she did repeat what the ER dr said

She said that at 8mm a sac should have a heartbeat..

She did say that it COULD go either way though

She said that if I find a cheap U/S place to do one Friday next week.

She said if there's a heartbeat I'm ok to wait til August 1 when my husbands new insurance kicks in to see her again. She said if it's a blighted ovum it's also safe for me to wait til August 1 to see her.

She said if I miscarry at home it's also safe to do so unless I start hemoragging pad after pad

She said the ER blood work from friday shows my levels at 4400

She said at 8000 there 100% should be a heartbeat..

but I'm not at that level yet

The internet says that miscarriage is only diagnosed if you reach 16mm sac with no fetal pole or heartbeat

I did see a radiologist website that said that sometimes heartbeats are not seen til the 8 or 9th week,

if that is true then my OB's advice to wait until Friday next week is good advice.

THIS IS STRESSFUL

Period May 13th - 18th
Sex (according to my "sex-log")
Tuesday May 15th, Tuesday 21st

Ovulation day May 30th
Sex a day after
(I thought we did it on the 28th but I didn't right that down)

Looking for free or cheap ultrasound / pregnancy clinics in Nashville/Smyrna areas..
internet lists one for Chattanooga so I'll call them tomorrow.
(California is FULL of free pregnancy clinics)

Hang in there! Not knowing is so stressful! I hope everything works out for you. I think from things i read you could be ok. I read an 8mm sac corresponds to 5w1d which you wouldnt see anything inside yet. The earliest you can see a hb is 5w5d or 6d on ultrasound. If you think there is any chance you ovulated later you could be completely fine! Remember sperm can also live inside for 5 days. Keep hoping for the best outcome!

I'm pretty sure I measured 11mm sac with tiny yolk visible and no foetal pole at 6 weeks. I have a tilted uterus which made it more difficult to see. Rescanned 8 days later and tiny foetal pole was visible with heart beat. I was originally told I could be up to a week behind on my dates than what I thought. Then the rescan it was more like half a week behind. But then when it came to 12 week scan I was put two days ahead than what I originally thought anyway.

When I was going google mad I found SO many women who said they also had no foetal pole on their 6 week scan, the majority seemed to have a good result on the rescan. They're incredibly small, very difficult to see at 6 weeks. We almost didn't even see the yolk sac on my scan until the last second when she was about to give up looking!

Try not to panic <3 hope all goes well for you xxx

I'm also very certain of my dates.... This has been my experience so far....

June 3 - Predicted Ovulation Date and also day of Baby Dance
June 17 - Positive Pregnancy Test
June 20 - First OB appointment; Early but they were able to get me in
June 21 - First HCG draw = 94
June 25 - Second HCG draw = 320
June 27 - Visit to ER for brown spotting with occasional red since 6/20 - Another HCG draw = 402 but u/s showed gest. sac with no yolk/fetal pole [too early]
July 2 - Sudden gush of bright red blood and passing clots - Not sure if I'm going to back to the ER or just wait until July 16 for my normal scheduled appointment/ultrasound to confirm the worst or surprise me with a miracle.

It's been a hard day at work for sure...

UPDATE:
July 3 - Bleeding continued; returned to ER after leaving work early. HCG draw dropped by 50%, ultrasound showed no gestational sac. Confirmed miscarriage.

I wish you all the best and hope your little beans grow quickly and healthy.

Sorry to hear about your loss! I had erpc yesterday after similar story as yours.

Fingers crossed for you for a positive outcome!

Hi ladies,
My update is that there is no update
I found a place in Nashville that does free ultrasounds, but they said they would only do them after 12 weeks as they don't have the ability to see anything earlier than that.

Due to our inability to afford to pay without insurance we just are going to have to wait until August 1

I asked my husband to harrass his insurer to make sure we do actually have our card etc by August 1 as my OB booked me in for August 2nd.

If there's no baby I still can't afford a D and C without insurance.. so what's the point in finding out before we have insurance really.

I have not had any bleeding.
My boobs feel like they're going to explode and my husband gave me a Victoria Secrets voucher for my birthday so I asked them if they have any bras that prevent boobs moving..
They sold me a 36DD bra with a double layer and it still won't stop them moving..

I'm extremely fatigued. I'm sleeping 8 hours a day and then sleeping another 4 hours in the middle of the day

I am normally a 5-6 hour sleeper and a 16 hour a day worker

I'm self employed as a photographer and videographer, thankfully I don't have any weddings in July so I'm able to get away with all this sleep.
I don't know how women hold down actual day jobs with employers 8 hours a day with babies.

I'm really sorry you had bad news :(
I'm trying to just not think about it. I will keep everyone posted

No bleeding, no vaginal discharge
do not want any form of sexual contact.. and if my husband so much as sneezes near my boobs it hurts so much I wanna give him a black eye.. lol.. #boobpain

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->