7.5 Weeks Pregnant - BBT Drop *UPDATED WITH BLOOD TEST RESULTS*

Wtbam

Reaction score
First of all, let me just explain why I am still charting my BBT :coffee:

Before I got my BFP, I was taking a course of oral progesterone (I believe similar to Provera) to induce a period. On the last day of the course, I found out I was pregnant, and was concerned about coming off the tablets and the drop in progesterone causing a loss.

Fast forward several weeks, and I have slowly tapered the progesterone to nothing. Two days after stopping the tablets, I had a little spotting over two days, which then stopped. I had an emergency scan which saw a heartbeat.

Now, I am worried because my BBT seems to be dropping and I know it is linked with progesterone. I has not dropped below the coverline (yet), but it is concerning me - perhaps I am progesterone deficient, hence why I didn't see a BBT spike after ovulation (until I started to course of progesterone?).

Please could you take a look at my chart and see what you think? Should I just stop taking my BBT and hope for the best?

I would advice u to step away from the thermometer and if u r really concerned then contact ur doc. 1st tri is stressful enough as it is without temping. Try and relax Hun xx

Do your doctors know you have been taking progesterone this far into your pregnancy and have now stopped? I don't mean to sound scary but you should never discontinue any progesterone therapy during the first trimester it should continue until the placenta takes over around week 13. Even when I was using an over the counter cream my RE said not to stop under any circumstances until 13 weeks and then taper off. If for some reason you are progesterone deficient and the supplements were sustaining your pregnancy you could be on to something.

I would say normally to never chart after your bfp and I'm still not sure it has to do with anything per se but the fact that you spotted when you stopped and your bbt is dropping does seem like your body is reacting to the loss of the supplement on some level at least. I'd want my levels checked and see if they are maintaining or dropping. If they are dropping get supplements straight away. It just seems unlikely the spotting was random and not related to a drop in progesterone. Best of luck hun:hugs:

Can't be any help regarding progesterone as I haven't took it but I also still temp and will do until my 12 week scan (my chart is in my sig if you want to have a look) I had a few sudden drop temps then rises but as long as it's above cover line no need to worry! See what temps you get for the next couple of days. X

Thanks hun. When I got my BFP they advised me to come off the tablets cold turkey but I told them I was not happy doing that and wanted to taper of.

At the time I was taking 15mg per day (I believe the suppositories are more like 200mg - 300mg? So perhaps the amount I was taking makes no difference?), I then tapered down to 10mg per day for 10 days. At the end of those 10 days, I asked for a blood test which came back as 42. I then went down to 5mg for 10 days, and at the end of those 10 days I asked for another blood test which came back 38.

At this point the doctor told me the tests are irrelevant and I should stop wasting their time!!! This really upset me because I am really worried about this!

I think I will ring on Tuesday (bank holiday tomorrow) if my BBT keeps dropping, but here in the UK i don't think a lot of notice is taken of low progesterone because when I mentioned suppositories early on the doctor just laughed!

Thank you so much for this! I haven't seen anyone else who continued to temp! I am going to bookmark your chart!

Can't be any help regarding progesterone as I haven't took it but I also still temp and will do until my 12 week scan (my chart is in my sig if you want to have a look) I had a few sudden drop temps then rises but as long as it's above cover line no need to worry! See what temps you get for the next couple of days. X

It's awful they're not taking your concern seriously, I can understand why you've done all you've done :(

Do you have the option of switching doctors? Or going to a different clinic entirely?

Thanks hun. When I got my BFP they advised me to come off the tablets cold turkey but I told them I was not happy doing that and wanted to taper of.

At the time I was taking 15mg per day (I believe the suppositories are more like 200mg - 300mg? So perhaps the amount I was taking makes no difference?), I then tapered down to 10mg per day for 10 days. At the end of those 10 days, I asked for a blood test which came back as 42. I then went down to 5mg for 10 days, and at the end of those 10 days I asked for another blood test which came back 38.

At this point the doctor told me the tests are irrelevant and I should stop wasting their time!!! This really upset me because I am really worried about this!

I think I will ring on Tuesday (bank holiday tomorrow) if my BBT keeps dropping, but here in the UK i don't think a lot of notice is taken of low progesterone because when I mentioned suppositories early on the doctor just laughed!

I don't really have an answer to your questions but I can share a little bit of my knowledge. I was on progesterone suppositories all through my first tri because I went through IVF. As far as I know, I never had any progesterone issues but my fertility docs prescribed it to give me the best chances. I was using 200mg suppositories three times a day (600 mg/day) until 10 weeks. Then tapered to 400mg/day until 11 weeks. Then 200 mg/day until 12 weeks. Then stopped. So it sounds to me like taking only 15mg a day is a very small amount and might not be drastic to cut out.

I agree with your docs that it was pointless to continue testing your progesterone levels while you were taking the supplement because you can't get any reliable results when taking the supplement still because the test can't decipher between your natural progesterone level and the drug you are taking.

A progesterone level of 38 when you are only taking 5mg/day sounds pretty good to me.

My advice is to really let a doctor handle this with you. If you don't like your current docs advice, you should definitely find another.

Best of luck!

Well I cant speak for that amount in specific and what bearing a smaller amount vs a larger amount being taken away would have. I know the threshold to maintain a pregnancy according to my doctor is 10 but that doesn't answer any questions on how dropping levels effect a pregnancy if the body is used to a higher amount. So many uncertainties! I really feel bad they won't check your levels again since you've come off tho...it seems your hands are tied (at least with these doctors anyway). One thing that did occur to me is that an over the counter progesterone cream can easily provide 15-20 mg of progesterone per day if you can't get any support from your doctors...just a thought.

Thanks pandi, that is really useful knowing the number needed to maintain a pregnancy. I am going to hassle them tomorrow about one more blood test!

I don't think we can buy progesterone over the counter here in the uk, but I might look into it, thanks.... x

I managed to get a blood test booked for yesterday (at 8 weeks pregnant exactly). The progesterone level has come back as 51 - from what I can see that is a really good level, would you agree?

I have stopped taking my BBT. It was stressing me out so much I figured that might cause a problem more than the low BBT! If I was going to start spotting I would see it soon enough, rather than checking every 30 mins just because of a low temp.

51 is indeed a very good number. I was only at 16.4 at 10+4 even though I was taking 200mg progesterone 2x daily at the time but my dr wasn't worried as baby had a strong hb and was growing. I would try not to worry.

I managed to get a blood test booked for yesterday (at 8 weeks pregnant exactly). The progesterone level has come back as 51 - from what I can see that is a really good level, would you agree?

I have stopped taking my BBT. It was stressing me out so much I figured that might cause a problem more than the low BBT! If I was going to start spotting I would see it soon enough, rather than checking every 30 mins just because of a low temp.

That's fab hun! Higher than before so your body must be taking over nicely! Very happy for you :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->