7 month old lil man had toast for first time :)

loz27

Reaction score
ok so i posted a month or so ago i am petrified to the extreme of my lil man choking. i would say i'm extremely ott with this fear and irrational :( i was the same with my girls 10 and 8 yrs ago to the point i delayed there progress and was purreing there food till they were amost one with minimul finger foods :(

anyhow today i took the plunge and gave my just turned 7 month old a piece of toast, cut the crust off and cut it in half. he gobbled almost the lot with minimul gagging and i survived the episode without an heart attack :) although my older girls were making me a little frantic when they kept shouting "mum he's shoved it all in his mouth" lol

anyhow i am going to offer him toast now on a regular basis

just a few questions :)

is it ok for him to put lots in his mouth at once? should i pull some out ?

what should i try next ? he's had organix carrot sticks and cheesy puffs so far.

i have been dreading this stage of weaning but i am aware he need to experience finger foods to learn.

any help appreciated :)

Ive watched Anna eat her toast from 6 months and if she puts too much in she will spit some back out. She finds it funny when a big bit gets swallowed though, strange child. I give her warm pitta bread with banana or cheese spread on it, chunks of banana, biscotti biscuits, crumpets, mini pancakes, slices of kiwi, potatoe, fishfingers. She only has a bit of each so she doesnt go over her salt allowance. Im still scared to give sliced apple,grapes, tangerines etc and shes nearly 9 months old. I still make fruit purees but everything else I make is mashed down or given in little chunks. We have done this from about 7 months old.

Ive watched Anna eat her toast from 6 months and if she puts too much in she will spit some back out. She finds it funny when a big bit gets swallowed though, strange child. I give her warm pitta bread with banana or cheese spread on it, chunks of banana, biscotti biscuits, crumpets, mini pancakes, slices of kiwi, potatoe, fishfingers. She only has a bit of each so she doesnt go over her salt allowance. Im still scared to give sliced apple,grapes, tangerines etc and shes nearly 9 months old. I still make fruit purees but everything else I make is mashed down or given in little chunks. We have done this from about 7 months old.

thankyou, some good ideas there. i am still purreing food but when i give him jars i have just started to use the 7 month lumpier ones and he seems to be doing ok. its just the finger food stage ive been dreading. i gave him toast again today and he was coughing and spluttering abit, my heart was in my mouth but he was fine. think i will try the banana next :) x

Just want to say well done u you!!!!!:happydance::happydance:And thank you u for this thread..I'm in the same boat Hun...I'm sooooo scared ov doing BLW, just the thought breaks me out in a sweat never mind trying it....I've tried TW with no success as DD,HATES it and clamps her mouth shut everytime I put a spoonful ov Purred food near her mouth :haha:....I started weaning at 5mths 3wks and now she is 6mths 2wks With no luck :cry:I hope u don't mind storking this thread for ideas,:blush:

Just want to say well done u you!!!!!:happydance::happydance:And thank you u for this thread..I'm in the same boat Hun...I'm sooooo scared ov doing BLW, just the thought breaks me out in a sweat never mind trying it....I've tried TW with no success as DD,HATES it and clamps her mouth shut everytime I put a spoonful ov Purred food near her mouth :haha:....I started weaning at 5mths 3wks and now she is 6mths 2wks With no luck :cry:I hope u don't mind storking this thread for ideas,:blush:

not at all, hope someone can help you out. also there is a blw thread you may find ideas :)

my lo is ok with the purees thankfully, i think i would have found it quite stressful to do the blw with my choking paranoia lol.

i have had to force myself to start the finger foods though as i was informed if he doesnt learn about chomping on foods around this stage now that he will find it difficult later and think everything should be swallowed whole eek.

one thing that as reassured me though is being told about the gag reflex being much more forward in a babys mouth so they will gag and spit up big peices before they get to the back of their throat.

as for my lo he is doing well with toast and today i cut up some cheese for him but his face was hilarious, think we found a critic lol. i'm just taking my time with it and i've been getting oh to watch over him eat and leaving the room when i feel myself panicking just to prevent me from pulling food out of his mouth and stressing him.

good luck to you with weaning, my advise would be to relax and try to enjoy it, just need to take my own advise lol x

It sounds like u doing a great job ov BLW hun :thumbup::...I a looked through the BLW thread and there is some great ideas!!: I have got 3 other children and never had a problem weaning ,but did toast and all that when they was a
Bit older :blush:... Thanks for the info abt gag reflux that has chillied me,just knowing that.!I think once we get going with it ,hopefully there will b no stopping!!!! Let the BLW begin !! Lol
A BIG THANK U and :hugs: for ur for u support,I do feel more confident to give it a go.:happydance:

I'm in the same boat, I'm super paranoid about choking. I try to do BLW and then just I just end up pulling the food out of LO's mouth. I'm giving purees and he grabs the spoon violently and starts sucking on it, which is what I was trying to avoid, I don't want him to think food is sucked down!

I've been watching blw videos on youtube and it's helping me get over my fears.

I'm in the same boat, I'm super paranoid about choking. I try to do BLW and then just I just end up pulling the food out of LO's mouth. I'm giving purees and he grabs the spoon violently and starts sucking on it, which is what I was trying to avoid, I don't want him to think food is sucked down!

I've been watching blw videos on youtube and it's helping me get over my fears.

:hugs: it's hard work isnt it.

you tube, thats an idea i hadn't thought of, i'll take a look thanks :) x

Oh and me have bn watching YouTube as well to try and get are heads round it all,and When we watched sum things we was like WOW..,OMG!!! :haha: Good luck ladies,keep us posted how things are going!:flower: good luck!!!!

O also ladies...I've bought something today called a "safety food feeder " from toy r us,it cost £3.99 and £1.99 for 3 extra nets(nets was on offer)!!!!!..... u cn put fruit or veg in it ect....u put food in this net put a lid on with handle on it an then ur little one can hold it and sucks or chews on it like a lollipop !!just thought I'd share!!!!

O also ladies...I've bought something today called a "safety food feeder " from toy r us,it cost £3.99 and £1.99 for 3 extra nets(nets was on offer)!!!!!..... u cn put fruit or veg in it ect....u put food in this net put a lid on with handle on it an then ur little one can hold it and sucks or chews on it like a lollipop !!just thought I'd share!!!!

thanks. i have one of these but not used it for a while, forgot all about it tbh. i gave him banana in it several times and he loved it, very messy thou lol, after a few uses i threw the net away as it was a nightmare trying to get all the banana out. think i will by some more of the nets and have a go with some vegies :thumbup: x

Tried some banana today blw-style. He gagged on it which was scary. Then he threw up.

Tried some banana today blw-style. He gagged on it which was scary. Then he threw up.

i tried banana other day too and found it more scary than the toast tbh, my lo gagged several times too. i think its because its so slippy and slides to the back of their throat easily. ive found giving the organix carrot sticks really good, they are a great practise food, he chomps really well on these and i believe these are helping him to learn x

eta just a tip i dipped the banana in dry porridge oats for the slippiness and he was able to hold it properly without it flying out of his hands every 2 minutes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->