7 month old suddenly waking at 2am after STTN!!!!!

emzi

Pregnant- 3rd Trimester
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have been really lucky with Ruby, she managed to sleep through the night (STTN) when she was 8 weeks old. We started a bedtime routine on day 1 and kept it the same every night. Last week Ruby caught her first cold from Nursery that turned into a cough/ fever/ sore throat so as you can imagine we had a few tricky nights. The last 3 nights she has woken up at 2am on the dot screaming the place down. Last night was the worst where she was on and off screaming from 2am until 6am. I am trying not to alter her routine too much by bringing her in our bed or picking her up but as you can imagine it doesnt last long before im at her bedside as I cant let her scream for long. I just wondered if anyone else has been through this and what did you do? I dont want to make a rod for my own back by altering what we do but at the same time I cant stand the thought of my princess being so upset :(

Just wondering if she still has her cold? If so she's probably just congested. You could maybe try saline drops for her nose before bedtime?

If she doesn't seem to be sick anymore it could be a number of things waking her up. Often when a baby learns a new skill their sleep can be disrupted. Our 7 month old has discovered how to roll onto his tummy in the night & this wakes him up right now because he thinks that he's stuck. I go and roll him back without lifting him up and he seems to drift back okay.

Or could she be going through a bit of a growth spurt again?
Does she have teeth trying to come in?

I always fear that we will upset the good thing that we have going too. Our LO has slept through the night since he was a newborn. That is MOST nights. And some nights now he will wake a couple/few times. Oh my goodness one night he was up every two hours. And guess what I did? I picked him up and nursed him. I feared that it would create a habit for him to get up every night, but it didn't. The next night he slept fine.

I hope this all works out soon for you. :hugs:

Just wondering if she still has her cold? If so she's probably just congested. You could maybe try saline drops for her nose before bedtime?

If she doesn't seem to be sick anymore it could be a number of things waking her up. Often when a baby learns a new skill their sleep can be disrupted. Our 7 month old has discovered how to roll onto his tummy in the night & this wakes him up right now because he thinks that he's stuck. I go and roll him back without lifting him up and he seems to drift back okay.

Or could she be going through a bit of a growth spurt again?
Does she have teeth trying to come in?

I always fear that we will upset the good thing that we have going too. Our LO has slept through the night since he was a newborn. That is MOST nights. And some nights now he will wake a couple/few times. Oh my goodness one night he was up every two hours. And guess what I did? I picked him up and nursed him. I feared that it would create a habit for him to get up every night, but it didn't. The next night he slept fine.

I hope this all works out soon for you. :hugs:

Thank you for your advice. I think she is over the cold as she doesnt sound too congested, we have kept her mattress propped up so that she can breathe more easier. I might try nursing her if I need to, like you say you dont want to break good habits but sometimes in the depth of the night you will do anything to help out a screaming LO. The only other thing I can think is that the GP told us to keep her room cool when she had a cold as if it was too warm she would find it stuffy. So we have kept it cool, maybe its too cool?

Could be? Or the propped mattress has thrown her sleep schedule off a bit too maybe?

I would give those a try maybe before feeding her in the middle of the night. Good luck!

We are going through almost exactly the same! Lo has had a cold/teething/exploding nappies and has been waking at 2am on the dot for the last four nights. She is waking with a dirty nappy & is then so unhappy & upset. It's taking up to 2hrs to settle her unless I bring her into our bed. I brought her into our bed the first two nights, spent time resettling her last night & will cosleep again tonight if she wakes again. I don't want to ruin our sttn but i don't want this turning into separation/attachment issues if I leave her alone when she's upset (I don't even know if that's possible btw just worrying!!).

Sorry can't offer useful advice but just wanted to say you're not alone :hugs:

Hope your nights return to normal soon xx

Ours started waking up in the night at 6 months and we upped his daytime calories - that seemed to help but as soon as he hit 7 months...same thing with no apparent solution. It was a phase we had to ride out. He now is STTN again but its never been the same - he gets up in the night now and again, someweeks more, some less and we have just gotten used to it. Teething, growth spurts, loads of learning churning through their brains - there is a lot going on for bubs at that age.

:coffee:

We are going through almost exactly the same! Lo has had a cold/teething/exploding nappies and has been waking at 2am on the dot for the last four nights. She is waking with a dirty nappy & is then so unhappy & upset. It's taking up to 2hrs to settle her unless I bring her into our bed. I brought her into our bed the first two nights, spent time resettling her last night & will cosleep again tonight if she wakes again. I don't want to ruin our sttn but i don't want this turning into separation/attachment issues if I leave her alone when she's upset (I don't even know if that's possible btw just worrying!!).

Sorry can't offer useful advice but just wanted to say you're not alone :hugs:

Hope your nights return to normal soon xx

Thank you its always nice to know you arent alone, I feel exactly the same as you can't bear Ruby to think, Mummy isnt here

Hi emzi

Just wondered how u & ruby are doing at night? My dd is feeling much better since yesterday morning but woke at 2am for a 2 hour play this morning!! :dohh:

Is ruby feeling better? Has she gone back to sttn?

Anyone have any advice about habitual waking in the night?

:flower:

My lo has done the same the last two nights. 1 hour of sleep total for me last night :(

My lo has done the same the last two nights. 1 hour of sleep total for me last night :(

Oh noooooooo! Not good!

I was really hoping lo would just go back to her old pattern but it looks like a wk of being unsettled is just too much! Really hope your lo sleeps better tonight!!

Hi emzi

Just wondered how u & ruby are doing at night? My dd is feeling much better since yesterday morning but woke at 2am for a 2 hour play this morning!! :dohh:

Is ruby feeling better? Has she gone back to sttn?

Anyone have any advice about habitual waking in the night?

:flower:

Hiya, Still no let up here either im afraid... 5am screaming fit with her eyes shut not even settled by a cuddle... fair to say mummy and daddy are destroyed after working all day too :( Grateful for anyone that can help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->