7 week 1 day scan

BlunderBus01

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today we went for a scan - 7 weeks 1 day. The doctor said he was satisfied with my wife's progress but would like her to come back next week because he was not able to detect a heartbeat.

We are concerned about this but if the doctor said he was satisfied should we be?

Is it uncommon not to be able to detect a heartbeat at 7 weeks 1 day? Should we be concerned? Between what timeframe is a heartbeat normally detected?

Many thanks in advance

hi.
didnt want to read and run, i am not sure about the stages for hearing a heartbeat. I can understand that this must be worrying for you, but if the doctor said he is satisfied then i guess it is okay.

Thinking of you, and please let us know how you get on. x

hi i think sometimes they can see a heart beat at 6-7 weeks and sometimes they cant thats what i have read so try not to worry to much exspecially if the docs are happy with ure pregress thats gotta be good :) xxxxx

the thing with the dates is that if 7 weeks 1 day is the date from LMP then the chances are the actual baby forming is only 5 weeks 1 day which is very early to see a heartbeat (would normally be over 6 weeks). If they saw the correct sac and fetal pole etc then things are developing nicely, its just early. good luck for next week x

the thing with the dates is that if 7 weeks 1 day is the date from LMP then the chances are the actual baby forming is only 5 weeks 1 day which is very early to see a heartbeat (would normally be over 6 weeks). If they saw the correct sac and fetal pole etc then things are developing nicely, its just early. good luck for next week x

Actually when doctors talk they almost all universally count gestation from Last Menstrual Period(LMP) and it's typical to see a h/b at around 6 weeks +/- a few days from the day of your last menstrual period,(4 weeks from conception)assuming you have a regular 28 day cycle.

However, it can depend on so many things at that stage. Did he do a vaginal u/s? Is it an old machine? Is the wife a little fluffy, which can make it harder if it was an abdominal u/s? Was the baby actually measuring 7 weeks 1 day or is it that perhaps she ovulated a few days later in her cycle. Does she normally have a 28 day cycle or is it normally longer. Where are you getting the 7 weeks 1 day from. That's the most important question.

If any of those above things apply, it can be totally normal to not see a h/b. But with a vaginal u/s IF the baby is truly measuring 7 weeks or more, you would expect to see a h/b.

While I love to hear positive stories, from other women as it's comforting and sometimes very helpful, it's always good to ask questions of your health care provider. if you are at all worried, call them back and find out more information about exactly what your baby was measuring etc.

Good Luck!!

Actually when doctors talk they almost all universally count gestation from Last Menstrual Period(LMP) and it's typical to see a h/b at around 6 weeks +/- a few days from the day of your last menstrual period,(4 weeks from conception)assuming you have a regular 28 day cycle.

However, it can depend on so many things at that stage. Did he do a vaginal u/s? Is it an old machine? Is the wife a little fluffy, which can make it harder if it was an abdominal u/s? Was the baby actually measuring 7 weeks 1 day or is it that perhaps she ovulated a few days later in her cycle. Does she normally have a 28 day cycle or is it normally longer. Where are you getting the 7 weeks 1 day from. That's the most important question.

If any of those above things apply, it can be totally normal to not see a h/b. But with a vaginal u/s IF the baby is truly measuring 7 weeks or more, you would expect to see a h/b.

While I love to hear positive stories, from other women as it's comforting and sometimes very helpful, it's always good to ask questions of your health care provider. if you are at all worried, call them back and find out more information about exactly what your baby was measuring etc.

Good Luck!!

yeah true, when I was pregnant last time, I had an early scan at 5.5 weeks, 6.5 weeks and then 8 weeks and it took until the 8 weeks one (all internal) to find a heartbeat and confirm a "viable" pregnancy so this is just based on my own experience plus what the EPU told me at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->