7 week +4 Ultrasound: Abdominal or Transvaginal?

icegurl470

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I know it sounds silly but I've never had a trans-vaginal ultrasound and I'm kinda scared to have one. My first ultrasound with baby #1 was at 9 weeks and the tech was able to see everything with the abdominal ultrasound and it was not necessary to do a trans-vaginal. This time around however my first scan is a little earlier 7 weeks +4 (although I think it will be closer to 7 weeks based on when I ovulated). I'm also a little heavier than I was with the first and I've heard extra fat can make it harder to see from the "outside". I know there's a lot of other factors that can determine it, but do you guys think it will be transvaginal?

Is so, maybe some words of encouragement? Thanks.

I had one at 7+5 and they tried first abdominal and couldn't see good enough so they went with the vaginal. The lady who did mine was very gentle and there was no pain or bleeding or anything. I didn't want the vaginal one either but in the end it was good because we saw such detail!

I had an abdominal scan last night at 7+2 and they saw everything they needed to

ive had 2 ultrasounds.. one at 6+1 & one at 10+1 both were vaginal. they aren't bad at all!!

At 7+4 I had a transvaginal. They are very gentle with it. My experience with it hasn't been bad or anything.

Maybe let the tech know how you're feeling about it. Maybe she'll try abdominal first if your very nervous about it, and if she has to do transvaginal, maybe she can be more reassuring and tell you exactly what she's doing before she does it. I think in those situations they are very accommodating and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible :hugs:

I had a scan at 5+5 (transvaginal) and 7+3 (abdominal). She didn't need to do transvaginal at the second cuz she saw everything she needed. The first one though was nothing. She was very gentle and like the pp said above, let her know you are nervous if it comes to a transvaginal, I'm sure she will be gentle and try to calm your fears

Thanks ladies. Sounds like I should be prepared for a trans-vaginal u/s just in case then. I'm bummed, but they will do an abdominal one first (I know because I called a head with my first to make sure because I was scared) and if they cant see enough I would rather do the trans-vaginal and make sure the pregnancy is going well than wait another two weeks.

Hi :)

I've had 2 abdominal ultrasounds in this pregnancy. 5+4 and saw fetal pole HB yolk sac etc. Then again at 7+4 and saw little arm buds, beautiful HB with trace, etc. I have a tilted uterus which makes me harder to scan and they saw exactly what they needed to.

There may not be any need for a transvaginal :hugs:

I had a scan at 6+5 and it was abdominal, didn't need the vaginal. Was really clear and could see the heartbeat

I had a really clear scan measuring 7+1 through my abdomen. Baby was very clear with great heartbeat. The issue was the found a cyst on my right ovary so they then had to do transvaginal to get a better view of the cyst x

Where I am in the UK they usually try abdominally and I have had a successful abdominal scan at 8 weeks. For this pregnancy I went for a dating scan but unfortunately my bladder wasn't full enough and had to go transvag. Was completely painless and ok- and I hate smear tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->