7 week scan - 2 sacs, 1 empty

Clara85

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

just home from my 7 week scan with dc3 and was suprised there were 2 sacs there, but the 2nd one empty with nothing in it.

I dont know if this means there was a 2nd baby, or if the sac is just there? I saw babys heart beating in the other sac but just feeling a little confused and unsure.

I got a positive test early at 3+4 and did joke it might be twins but I havent had any cramping or bleeding, no symptoms at all which is the same as my first 2 pregnancy's I dont seem to get sick or anything apart from tierdness.

Has anyone any experince of this?

No personal experience but I've read on here that there was a second baby that didn't make it and had been absorbed back into the body. I've also read elsewhere that a second, empty sac doesn't mean another baby was there at all! Confusing :nope:

going through the same thing, same situation. Today I went for bloods and was told my levels were great but indicative of maybe just the one. I have a scan on the 13th that will tell for sure but as of right one it looks like one.

I have mixed motions but I have to admit I'm a little relieved. Took us so long to get pregnant that I'm happy I at least have one.

I'm so sorry. I believe it was a vanished twin. Multiples run in my family and my 33 yr old sister had a blighted ovum of fraternal triplets at age 26...in other words there were 3 empty sacs :( huge hugs <3

Its called "Vanishing twin". That empty sac was an egg that was fertilized, divided, managed to implant and began to grow but didn't contain enough genetic information to form a baby. Essentially a blighted ovum.

I had this during this pregnancy. First scan was 5+6 so was too early to tell if empty sac would grow or not, but next day I started bleeding. My body spent the next 4/5 weeks bleeding and trying to miscarry the empty sac but hold onto the baby. By 11 weeks the bleeding had stopped. By 13 weeks the sac was no longer seen on the scan.

Full story with pics >> https://www.nommonster.co.uk/2014/01/a-tale-of-two-sacs-vanishing-twin.html

Same thing happened to me in January 2012. We did an IVF transfer of 2 embryos. Both implanted but one was empty. I went along great with the other baby until 9 weeks and then he/she passed. It was just devastating. Lots of times though the other baby goes along just fine. Good luck to you!

Confused after 7 week ultrasound scan,they found 3 sacs with one carrying a baby with heartbeat and the other two are empty. one empty sac measuring the same as the healthy sac and the other empty sac is smaller. will these empty sacs hamper the healthy sac, will these empty sacs go away by itself? also noticed the corpus luteum cyst has become smaller than the previous scan.

I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days with 2 sacs and 2 fetal poles, 6 weeks 3 days 2 heartbeats (at my RE office)
Then at my ob on 6 weeks 4 days she could only see one baby, nothing in the other sac. Her ultrasound wasn't as strong.
8 weeks 5 days 2 babies, exact same size, strong heartbeats. She said the one was farther from the probe. So in my experience it could go either way, had I not just seen both babies the day before then I would've thought I had an empty sac. It's so early anything can happen.

Happened to me last week. Though one was measuring 2 weeks behind with no heart beat. Apparently the baby should be reabsorbed into my body. Have to wait for scan I'm two weeks &#55357;&#56877;

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->