8 month old not interested?

lau86

Reaction score
I only feed morning and night now, I had to work so couldn't during the day. He just doesn't seem interested now... He will constantly unlatch to look around and just doesn't seem to be getting much milk. The dairy he has in his diet is some formula with go a weetabix in the morning and yoghurt each day. He is a big eater, he loves his food and drinks water from a cup. I've never managed to get him to drink milk from a bottle or cup.
Should I stop feeding? How do I know if he's getting milk at this stage? I don't really want to stop yet he seems too little.

Breast milk or formula needs to be his primary source of nutrition for the first year. At this age he should be having minimum 4-5 feeds per day and should.always be offered milk/formula before solids. Is he too distracted during the day? Is he filling up on solids?

Hiya hun.

My ds never had as many feeds as a lot of babies and he got a bit disinterested at a similar age. I think by 9 months he was only on 2-3 feeds per day.
It wasn't over feeding solids as I blw, offered milk first, and he was mostly having 2 "meals" no snacks.
I wouldn't stop feeding but could you try offering the breast before you offer breakfast.
Also try to feed in a darker quiet room without distraction.
They are very efficient by that age so he may be getting a lot more than you think, can you hear him swallowing?
Xx

He really took to solids and I encouraged it tbh as I knew I was going back to work at least 3 days a week from 9-5 so I wasn't there to feed him. I never did well with a pump and only got about 1 ounce off in total, he refused both breastmilk and formula from a bottle anyway. My health visitor said it was fine as long as he had dairy in his diet. I think my milk has probably dried up quite a lot and I think I have a slow let down which doesn't help.
My eldest was exactly the same refusing bottles but I didn't go back to work till a lot later with him so when he cut down on the breastfeeding I just stopped, but he was quite a bit older.
I don't know what to do... It seems like a vicious circle if he's not staying on I won't be making the milk but he's not gonna tolerate comfort sucking like he did when he was a little baby. I could go to my health visitor but she will just say oh you've done well why don't you just stop.
Or is this just a fussy phase and nothing to do with my supply? Although I do agree luna his solid eating has probably caused my supply to take a battering.

Thanks raspberry, I forgot to say his morning feed is before breakfast so he has that on an empty stomach. I think I will have to try taking him into his room as I always try to feed him when the eldest is watching the tv trying to spend time with them both but it's obviously not working. Sometimes I can hear him swallowing sometimes not and for some reason I feel like the right side is a lot better.
I'm being a bit selfish I might not have any more babies and I just want this for a bit longer....

Breastfeeding for the length of time you have is totally not selfish!
My ds would drink no end in that first feed of the day I knew it was a lot as I was engorged and could pump 9oz each breast and he would have 1.5 ... lol.
It must be hard not knowing if he's getting much but he must be.
I'm a believer in babies knowing what they want/needand if he needed more milk he would be asking for it and unsatisfied afterwards.
If he won't take a sippy cup or bottle (like my ds) then I don't know what else you can do.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->