8 weeks pregnant and my scan only showed baby at 5 1/2 weeks with no heart beat yet..

Hope85

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to his but need some advice and comfort. My partner and i have been trying to conceive for the past year, so when i found out 4 weeks ago that we had i was thrilled... I know that we conceived on the 20th or 21st Aprill 2011, so that would make me 8 weeks today. We went for our first scan yesterday, we had to do an internal scan and it showed our baby to be about 5 1/2 weeks, they also couldnt find the heart beat. He said its too early to see the heart beat and to come back in a week for another scan. I know my dates are correct so this is all headed for the worst isn't it? I have still been getting symptoms, sore breasts, tired and a little nausea.
I have a doc appointment today but i'm scared of the outcome of all of this. :cry:

Don't give up hope yet; things might be okay. Sometimes we're so sure of when we ovulate but then we're wrong or we ovulate twice. Your doc is right that they can only see a sac @ 5 weeks...they usually can't see a heartbeat until 6-7 weeks. I think that have pregnancy symptoms is always a good sign, so just try to hang in there until your next scan.

I just wanted to send :hugs:. I hope that everything turns out to be okay!

sorry you are going through this :hugs: Do you by any chance have a tilted uterus? This is a common problem with women ith a retroverted uterus.

Thanks for the replies, i'm not sure if i have a tilted uterus, i will talk to my doc about that today. I will not give up hope yet, im sure of my dates as my partner went away for work for 4 weeks a couple of days after ovulation, so i couldnt have fallen anytime after that. Will wait it out till next week and pray my lil bub is ok in there.

:hugs: Can you get another scan somewhere else? I think sometimes it depends on the person doing the scan, but after the doc looks at the scan they might be able to help you more.

Well, i have been to see my Doctor, he said to stay positive as well. Could be 1 of 2 possibilities, either in the process of misscarrying or that i implanted later than average and i'm still too early. I had blood taken to check my progesterone levels, he will receive these results tomorrow and he thinks he will be able to tell from that. He said to go for another scan in 1 1/2 weeks to check as well. Everything else in there looks great, yolk sac, pole... I'm praying that my lil bub is just too tiny and thats all it is. I just have to be positive and get through this waiting now!!
Thankyou for all your thoughts. xxx

I hope everything works out and your little bub is just a late bloomer. X

If you have a pole hun, it's a good sign. When I had MMC there wasn't a pole at 12 weeks so it could all be a lot of worry for nothing. Keep your chin up and stay as posiive as you can. :hugs:

If you have a tilted uterus they would have told you at your internal scan as its something very easy to pick up, I found out when I went for the internal scan when I was going through my mc, and they told me I have one, didnt even know these things existed lol found out my mother has one aswel, so maybe its genetic lol Hope everything is well for you x

How are you sure you ovulated when you did? Did you use an OPK? My sister was 100% sure she was at least 12 weeks and she was 9 weeks three days when she went for a scanbut everything was fine. You could ovulate late or implant late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->