9 months old and won’t put anything to her mouth...

kittykat7210

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m worried about my daughter, she’s almost 9 months old and she has NEVER put ANYTHING to her own mouth. No toys, no food, nothing. She has 1 tooth and is quite advanced for her age (been crawling for nearly 2 months, cruising the furniture with ease, babbling loads, sleeping through, dropped her own naps) but she just won’t put anything to her mouth. We originally started trying to do baby led weaning but since all she did was play with it we had to resort to spoon feeding. But we have tried to go back to it but she just has no interest, she’ll sit there with her mouth open waiting for us to do it???

Has anyone gone through this? What can I do??

Have you asked a health professional? That seems really weird! She sounds like she's doing very well with all her other development.

Did she not start sucking on her fists or anything at 2-3 months?

Seems odd to me since putting things in their mouth is all my babies ever do! That being said, every baby develops differently so it could be nothing. My DD didn't wave, clap, point, or mimic any of our movements until she was well over a year old, probably closer to 18 months, and she is now a perfectly normal 2 1/2 year old. Sometimes they just develop skills a bit later than other babies. It wouldn't hurt to speak with your doctor or paediatrician just to be on the safe side!

Have you asked a health professional? That seems really weird! She sounds like she's doing very well with all her other development.

Did she not start sucking on her fists or anything at 2-3 months?

She sucks her thumb when she’s tired but every other baby I know explores with their mouth, and she just doesn’t! She loves touching and feeling things with her hands but she’s never picked something up to put in her mouth! I think I will try to get hold of my heath visitor and see what she suggests!

Seems odd to me since putting things in their mouth is all my babies ever do! That being said, every baby develops differently so it could be nothing. My DD didn't wave, clap, point, or mimic any of our movements until she was well over a year old, probably closer to 18 months, and she is now a perfectly normal 2 1/2 year old. Sometimes they just develop skills a bit later than other babies. It wouldn't hurt to speak with your doctor or paediatrician just to be on the safe side!

That's interesting! I'm currently taking an autism course and that was a sign of neurodevelpmental (excuse my spelling if wrong!) issues/differences. Thomas would point but it wasn't very purposeful, he didn't wave or clap either as a little dude.

My son never put anything into his mouth, either. I thought of it as a positive, actually. Never had to worry about him putting in anything that he shouldn't. heh

The only slight issue that came up was when we wanted him to start feeding himself (we had started with spoon feeding), he did resist a bit. So we had to work with him on that. It took awhile, but all became fine.

For what it's worth, my son is now three, and has no medical/developmental issues.

My son didn't put much in his mouth either. We started with spoon feeding and it took a dreadfully long time to get him to feed himself. I would say he was between 18 mo-2 before he would do it. We did end up with some pretty severe feeding issues though that weren't resolved until recently though. Overall, I think checking in with your doctor is a good idea.

In contrast everything is in my daughter's mouth. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->