9 week midwife appt, no listening to heartbeat or scan, is this normal?

I'm in new Zealand.
Here we get a 12, 20 and 36 week scan as standard for downs syndrome, anatomy and in depth anatomy respectively. Some get a scan around 6 weeks depending on a number or different reasons.

My midwife here didn't listen to the heart until about 14 to 16 weeks. I remember reading somewhere that you can't really hear anything until at 11 weeks with a doppler.

It seems a lot different here than in the US? Looks like the US ladies on here have things earlier? With my 1st (10 years ago) they only did 1 scan at 20 weeks, so a 12 week scan as well is a bonus!

It is different! US is private healthcare so they do loads!

It's standard to get 12w (downs screen) and 20w (anatomy) scans now in the UK. Any additional scans are purely because of problems past or present :)
My midwife tried to listen at the 16w appt with both my boys but couldn't find a heartbeat, so she tried again at 24w and found it every time from then onwards. You get less midwife visits with your second as well, unless you had problems with your first x

So normal. Most won't listen until 12-16 weeks here.

I'm extremely high risk so I have a lot of scans (I've had a 4+5, 5+5 and 7+5, next is 9+5 and then every two weeks for the duration of my pregnancy). This is both a blessing as I need reassurance but also it's stressful.

Our hospital now does the dating scan up to 19 weeks :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->