• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

9 Week old can stand??? Reflex??

SparkleBug

Reaction score
Please please dont think me one of those 'my child is so advanced' parents, because I've heard those parents and theyre highly annoying! I just would like to know if my LO has a little something special going on? My LO is 9 weeks old and has complete neck control. He is supr inquisitive and looks at everything sitting up while we hold his back. Even our paediatrician who he sees for reflux has stated it to be 'remarkable'.....

Well the past 3 days he has been wanting to stand up. He can stand and squat up and down by you only holding his hands, not his arms, not under his arms, but his hands?????? Im always very careful with him but he cries and gets frustrated until you let him stand and squat up and down up and down....it makes him so happy....is this normal??

Is it just a reflex and completely normal (so Im basically just indulging myself in thinking my child is advanced :haha:) or is this actually quite advanced? Or could I even be causing any harm to him by letting him do this? :wacko: I thought about getting hubby to take a pic to show people? Maybe IM being one of those annoying 'my child is advanced' people? :dohh:

Thoughts?:flower:

I think bigger babies seem to be more alert and with it mine definitely is compared with my 1st who was nearly 2lb lighter, just a thought xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My lb is 10 weeks and cant do that. Im not sure but i would guess it wouldnt be great for his leggies but youd have to as ur doc

I think it could be normal. My LO has been able to do this since very early on by just gripping our fingertips, from 8 weeks she was able to fully support herself and bounce in a door bouncer. She's not advanced though and still not walking at 12months (does love climbing though haha) x

this sounds like im bragging now but my little boy was born at 8lb and it was either 6 or 7 weeks that he stood up with me only holding his hands. i was amazed! i shouted on my husband to look and he was as shocked as i was. he can weight bear on his legs really well now. i looked up skills for this age and it says that weight bearing is an advanced skill but it just seems so easy for him to do. he has very long legs and kicks like mad so i dont know if this has anything to do with it. I hope i havnt taken away the specialness of it all for u, but its i was as amazed as u are when alex did it xx

Double check with dr or health visitor - but post a pic or vid, I'd love to see!!! :)

This is really interesting? I wonder if it is some kind of reflex then? Wish there were some experts on bnb to advise! Haha x

my 14 week old can do this if I hold her hands but only for a few seconds xx

Its totally fine and does no harm to their legs; that is an old old wives tale; if they can use their muscles to pull themselves up with little support and then stand there-then they are ok to do this. It would only be bad if you placed them in that position and 'forced' them to do it. My son was like this also, he did it once randomly at 2 weeks but then started doing it continually from 9 weeks, he has been walking for about a month now xx

Aww, his a clever boy.

Vinnie can stand on his legs but only if I hold him under his arms, he can support his own head very well too.

Sounds like your LO won't be a baby for very long xx

I can't remember how old Isobel was when she did this but it was only a few weeks old. She "walks" if you hold her hands too, this started about 3 months.

She was holding her head up for decent bursts of time from day one, rolled both ways before 4 months, commando crawled before 5 months, proper crawled at exactly 6 months and pulling up and cruising since 6.5 months. She's 7 months now and has been trying to go "no hands", she can't do it yet but the little wobble before she falls is getting longer...

She is definitely advanced on mobility (but behind on babbling) but I know what you mean about not wanting to sound like you're going on about your advanced baby. I feel like I have to play it down with one set of mummy friends as I sense a lot of resentment about Isobel crawling when older babies can't - I've also seen other mummies get treated bitterly because their babies sttn and others get jealous. It's silly really! Fortunately my nct friends are much nicer! I'm under no illusion about Isobel's skill set, all babies develop at different rates and in a year's time her crawling age won't count for anything iykwim.

my lo has also been able to do this for a while now, she is not quite 11 weeks, she also has been able to hold her head up for day dot lol now i do sound like i am bragging lol

summer rain is the old wives tale you refer to about making them become bow legged? my gdad once mentioned this when i told him my first born could stand and then someone else mentioned it about my daughter so i dont encourage her based on this

would google but dr google always points to some sort of health disaster lol

my lo has also been able to do this for a while now, she is not quite 11 weeks, she also has been able to hold her head up for day dot lol now i do sound like i am bragging lol

summer rain is the old wives tale you refer to about making them become bow legged? my gdad once mentioned this when i told him my first born could stand and then someone else mentioned it about my daughter so i dont encourage her based on this

would google but dr google always points to some sort of health disaster lol

Yes this is an old wives tale that it makes them bow or 'bandy' legged as they say up North; a lot of HVs still say it but it has no basis. If anything encouraging them to stand when they can; helps to strengthen and straighten their legs over time xx

Like summer rain said, it won't hurt your baby's legs. I think its not that unusual, Maria loved to stand up with me holding her hands from a couple months old.

Mine's the same! Wow I'm glad someone brought this up, I've been wondering what the hell's going on :haha: like your LO, Cas has complete neck control, he's been doing the little mini push ups for a few weeks now and often refuses to sit, and stands bouncing on me instead. Superbabies!

Yes it's a natural reflex which most babies lose and then regain. In African tribes the women bounce their children to retain this ability to take their own weight on their legs. I watched a documentary whilst pregnant on it (anyone else see it?) and then for fun tried it out on my LO and she's been weight baring since 6 weeks. Got a video of her being only gently supported. From 18 weeks she could support herself holding on to something.

I'd let your baby stand if he wants to stand! It's great for leg strength and in the future will aid in their walking.

This is very interesting as I'd believed the old wives tale, oops. I'm glad I've seen this.
I love to see any videos, please share ladies :)

6 weeks old (ignore my stupid voice, I was over excited because she previously had been jiggling to the music!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoaL2v8q3tU

11 weeks old
https://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/Jessicaroe1/IMG_4797.jpg

and then just started standing holding on to stuff from 18 weeks but this pic is her at 22 weeks
https://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/Jessicaroe1/IMG_5965.jpg

Yes it's a natural reflex which most babies lose and then regain. In African tribes the women bounce their children to retain this ability to take their own weight on their legs. I watched a documentary whilst pregnant on it (anyone else see it?) and then for fun tried it out on my LO and she's been weight baring since 6 weeks. Got a video of her being only gently supported. From 18 weeks she could support herself holding on to something.

I'd let your baby stand if he wants to stand! It's great for leg strength and in the future will aid in their walking.

I saw this too! They do it to get their LOs to walk a bit earlier so that they don't have to carry them for so long. It was quite fascinating. I think they performed some kind of little ceremony as well did they not?

yes! they put the child on leaves and twigs to encourage it to move!! bit mean, think il skip that part!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"