9 weeks. Moving to USA. Need help! (cost of giving birth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't at all attacking anyone's opinions, not sure where you're getting that from? Was just asking some to give her the benefit of the doubt and cool it on the assumptions until she clarifies.

Her question was - how much does it cost to have a baby in the United States.

I haven't seen hardly anyone actually attempt to answer her question :shrug:

That's been answered several times. Granted there is no down to the decimal number given, because unless we know the exact hospital she chooses, what method of delivery, and any complications that arise there is no way to know the exact amount. We can only estimate. This is my last response as I'm not going to argue for the sake of arguing over the internet lol.

Be very careful. Immigration is starting to really crack down on non-US citizens giving birth in the US. I am not trying to be judgmental but the most COMMON reasons for Birth Tourism is for free/cheap healthcare (through medicaid), state assistance (cash, foodstamps, housing, etc.), free/cheap education (public school systems and financial-aid/pell grants for college), and also job opportunity (most of the money tends to be sent back to the families overseas which is considered to be "hurting the economy").

Now I'm not saying that you are doing any of these things listed, but it's something you should definitely be aware of because it's taken VERY seriously and you may be seriously questioned about it.

Wishing you the best.

Wasn't at all attacking anyone's opinions, not sure where you're getting that from? Was just asking some to give her the benefit of the doubt and cool it on the assumptions until she clarifies.

Her question was - how much does it cost to have a baby in the United States.

I haven't seen hardly anyone actually attempt to answer her question :shrug:

It's so hard to answer such a question because the costs can really range greatly. Depending on what she may qualify for, for "out of pocket" discounts, or perhaps she just goes straight to the ER only to be "billed" for her services (but it would only be debt should she not pay, and there's no guarantee the debt would follow her back home), or depending which state she delivers in, they may have programs specifically for "traveling mothers-to-be" (no seriously, they actually have agencies in California that make money on these situations), and then there is also the idea that she could hire a private midwife and try to do a natural/homebirth which would have it's own costs in itself.

Without more detailed information as far as how she plans to give birth, it's hard to make a good educated guess.

OP - if you're still around, WebMD says government data currently lists an uninsured uncomplicated vaginal delivery as costing around $9,600.

You're going to want to keep in mind that if your intent is to go natural, you may be able to find a birthing center that could deliver you for far far less.

On the flip side of that, keep in mind that Chicago and NYC are larger cities and along with that comes higher costs of living. In a hospital in either you could be looking at costs that far exceed $9,600, where as if you can afford to travel even just a half hour outside of either city you could cut that overall bill drastically.

Depending on your reasons for wanting to deliver here, there may be social programs to help you offset the cost. There are places like Planned Parenthood clinics that could help you sort out affordable prenatal care as well as where your best place to deliver will be based on what you're after for a birth experience. They could probably also give you a better idea of exactly what you're going to end up paying out of pocket. They are located everywhere, just grab a phone book and give them a call to set up a consult.

It's so hard to answer such a question because the costs can really range greatly. Depending on what she may qualify for, for "out of pocket" discounts, or perhaps she just goes straight to the ER only to be "billed" for her services (but it would only be debt should she not pay, and there's no guarantee the debt would follow her back home), or depending which state she delivers in, they may have programs specifically for "traveling mothers-to-be" (no seriously, they actually have agencies in California that make money on these situations), and then there is also the idea that she could hire a private midwife and try to do a natural/homebirth which would have it's own costs in itself.

Without more detailed information as far as how she plans to give birth, it's hard to make a good educated guess.

I agree.

And I don't doubt your experiences a bit with those in your state operating those programs. That would frustrate me to see such a thing going on too so I do understand where you're coming from.

I think maybe I feel the need to defend OP because I have a bit of a different perspective. Although I am staunch Libertarian and am typically pretty anti government intervention/aid, I also live in a state that is home to thousands of Somalian refugees. Do I see plenty that have more than taken advantage of our country's and my state's generosity? Absolutely. But just as many are so grateful to be out of their war torn and destitute country, and somewhere where their families can thrive without constant fear. I've met enough who have told me stories that gave me nightmares, and it's not at all a stretch for me to understand why many in this world would sell their souls to get their children's feet on our soil. I can't at all blame them.

I tend to be a cynic, but with OP asking quite openly "how much" at least has me convinced that she's probably not trying to deceive or take advantage of anyone kwim?

I agree.

And I don't doubt your experiences a bit with those in your state operating those programs. That would frustrate me to see such a thing going on too so I do understand where you're coming from.

I think maybe I feel the need to defend OP because I have a bit of a different perspective. Although I am staunch Libertarian and am typically pretty anti government intervention/aid, I also live in a state that is home to thousands of Somalian refugees. Do I see plenty that have more than taken advantage of our country's and my state's generosity? Absolutely. But just as many are so grateful to be out of their war torn and destitute country, and somewhere where their families can thrive without constant fear. I've met enough who have told me stories that gave me nightmares, and it's not at all a stretch for me to understand why many in this world would sell their souls to get their children's feet on our soil. I can't at all blame them.

I tend to be a cynic, but with OP asking quite openly "how much" at least has me convinced that she's probably not trying to deceive or take advantage of anyone kwim?

Oh I totally hear you there. There's no doubt that there is great opportunity here... my biggest concern is where it's such an on-going issue here, I would hate for someone (ESPECIALLY a pregnant woman or new mother) being interrogated and questioned by immigration on such serious issues.

And another terrifying thing is the home country, if they don't allow for dual citizenship (for instance, I know China doesn't), would that mean going through shady practices to retrieve citizenship from the home country (once again I would hate for a family to be punished for this if caught)? Or would it mean hiring and trusting a nanny/guardian to care for the child here, while the mother returns home. It could just go so many different ways and none of it seems really ideal.

Oh I totally hear you there. There's no doubt that there is great opportunity here... my biggest concern is where it's such an on-going issue here, I would hate for someone (ESPECIALLY a pregnant woman or new mother) being interrogated and questioned by immigration on such serious issues.

And another terrifying thing is the home country, if they don't allow for dual citizenship (for instance, I know China doesn't), would that mean going through shady practices to retrieve citizenship from the home country (once again I would hate for a family to be punished for this if caught)? Or would it mean hiring and trusting a nanny/guardian to care for the child here, while the mother returns home. It could just go so many different ways and none of it seems really ideal.

Following the terrible case of Meriam Ibrahim I totally hear you there. Things can get so hairy when you mix different nationalities laws so it makes sense to share if one might hit roadblocks intermingling the two.

She doesn't mention dad, and I do wonder if he's here or in home country. Along with that, can he interfere with her plans or cause issues down the road with her decision regardless of where peanut is born.

I do hope everything turns out well for her and her baby regardless. I'm sure she has her reasons for wanting baby born here, reasons that are likely no different than those of most of our ancestors!

I do hope everything turns out well for her and her baby regardless. I'm sure she has her reasons for wanting baby born here, reasons that are likely no different than those of most of our ancestors!

:thumbup:

I could be wrong but if you gave birth here your child would automatically be a US citizen

I just have a question. God forbid might this never happen!!!!

But, what happens if baby is a premmie and ends up in NICU for quite a long time, or if baby needs surgery. What happens if a mom needs an emcs or worse NEEDS to have a planned c-section. Will the states allow that?

Also, how about pre-natal care? What would the steps be for a non-citizen?

I just have a question. God forbid might this never happen!!!!

But, what happens if baby is a premmie and ends up in NICU for quite a long time, or if baby needs surgery. What happens if a mom needs an emcs or worse NEEDS to have a planned c-section. Will the states allow that?

Also, how about pre-natal care? What would the steps be for a non-citizen?

Of course and without question.

I'm not sure how a planned section would be worse than an emergent one but no hospital in the entire United States would just let a mother or baby die in emergent or dire situations due to non citizenship status.

Those here illegally get regular care provided to them just like the rest of us. I would imagine HIPPA laws play into healthcare workers inability to report illegal status, if it's ever even admitted to, and if Obama and dems had their way they'd all be receiving care that was 100% FREE. Many already do. And I was just reading this morning that any undocumented illegals are indeed exempt from purchasing a healthcare policy like the rest of Americans were forced into doing last year.

Although that wouldn't be an issue for OP because she has a tourist visa, is here legally and was inquiring about how much it would be to pay her own way through a delivery - the former is exactly what many American's tend to get miffed about.

OP, if you're lurking, I know of someone who recently had a baby in America. She is African and decided her child would benefit of dual citizenship. She had the option of here in the UK or America and she chose the latter cos of the benefit.
Here is how she went about it.
She applied for a tourist visa from Nigeria and told the consular her reason for going was to have her baby there cos she would benefit from good medical care etc, she has a stable job and was able to proove she could afford the cost of delivery and day to day expenses, she also showed correspondence between her and the hospital she planned to deliver in.

As per cost, the hospital is in Pennsylvania and cost was around $8,000 for natural delivery (hospital fees only) and 40% off this cost if she was paying cash, and $13,000 for a cesarean section, this includes 3 days hospital stay.
All other services such as tests, ultrasounds, epidural were charged seperate so this should give you an idea.

I'm not here to judge but provide information based on recent knowledge. Depending on where you live, it is possible for you to be refused boarding at the airport if it's suspected you lied about your reason for going to the states, and they can also contact the embassy to find out if you mentioned you would be having a baby there before your visa was issued.

I also know someone who lied her way to the states, had her baby and left without paying a dime, now she has been banned from entering America and mandated to payher bills. I hope all these would help you in coming to a decision.
All the best.

A visit visa is sufficient to have a baby in the states, your child will be a citizen but you have to leave after 6 months, otherwise you become an overstayer.

ok.. I think you need to do A LOT more research... I have a bad feeling about your plan, and am afraid you have not thoroughly thought of everything and the consequences.

I am a permanent resident of the USA and have been living here for several years now (married to US citizen and went through a long immigration process of close to a year and a half of a LOT of paperwork and an immigration attorney who helped me and my husband with the paperwork because it is very complicated. Right now I am a US permanent resident and can live and work here because my primary address is in the USA, I have all the rights an American citizen has except for voting. I can become a citizen in a couple of years. My baby will automatically be a citizen because his dad (my husband) is an American and because I am a permanent resident of the USA. BUT... your child IF both you and dad are foreign.. I don't know if that automatically makes him/her a US citizen even though they were born here since your primary address is not US based and you have no visa to live here and are only here as a tourist. I don't know if the dad is a US citizen, that will change things though.

I was only allowed to stay here as a tourist, prior to my official move to the USA in segments of 90 days and any longer than 90 days was illegal.

I am just trying to help you and make sure you are well informed and I would not hesitate to contact an immigration attorney if I was you because otherwise you might bump into some unpleasant surprises on your journey. I am a citizen of Belgium though, we do have a travel agreement with the USA (as many other Western-European countries) to travel without visas up to 90 days.

However, I would talk to a professional about your travel plans to make sure you are on top of things. Trying to take the backdoor into the USA is simply not gonna work, I've seen it many times at the airport.. especially if the TSA staff knows you are pregnant and notices you have a tourist visa, they will be very suspicious of you and might even deny you entry, I am not trying to scare you, but this is the reality of things, I have seen many people get denied entry because of similar things at the airport immigration...So please make sure you are prepared and do things "the right way". It is also simply not fair towards other rightful US citizens and residents.

Having a child without health care is also a lot more expensive in the USA than it would be for example in Belgium, because the health care system is completely different and you can not compare the workings of it to most European systems, so things work very differently and without a health care plan it might be expensive for you. I don't know where you are from though so I can't compare to your situation.

Best of luck.

Your baby is not immediately offered citizenship, that is what people thought as many women would cross the border and the nick name "border babies" started.

They are starting to crack down on this. It breaks my heart to hear about the children that are being sent over with desperation to become US citizens. I have seen reports they are cracking down on this and deporting those children. (as if coming here alone and afraid wasn't bad enough!)

I would consult an attorney before making this decision, make sure it will be legal and you will be all set!

I've worked postpartum & nursery & there would be women coming in all the time without prenatal care -those were always scary to the doctors but they can not be refused.

This country is trillions of dollars in debt yet we have a system that allows foreigners to come in & abuse our medicare- which is money that was earned by hard working Americans. Arg- I shouldn't say anymore! I saw it all the time in the hospital! Not just Hispanics but also middle eastern & Indian families as well some of them paying out of pocket or insurance & some abusing the medicare system.

If you want your baby to become a citizen, become one yourself, become a hard productive working citizen & earn the rights without looking for a handout! I wish you the best in your journey! :)

Exactly what I was saying in my previous post..

I had to go through a LONG process, even though I was legally married to an American citizen. All the paperwork took us a year and a half and a couple of interviews at the embassy and now I live and work and pay taxes just like any other US citizen. Becoming a permanent resident (and later if desired a citizen) is a long path but doing it the right way is the best way..

One of the things they state in their paperwork is that as a lawful permanent resident of the US, you have no right to any government financial aid, including medicaid etc. You have to find a sponsor (family in US/employer/ in my case husband).

I could see why coming over as a tourist seems attractive, if indeed you can receive care and even count on medicaid, something I for one cannot count on, but think about the consequences..

If you could only tell us your exact circumstances I think we'd all be able to help you better because right now you stayed very vague.

To clarify, once again - OP never once asked about or eluded to any intent to come here to get free health care.

She specifically asked about how much it would cost her to have her baby - while she was here legally staying with family.

Many of you are talking like you know she is Mexican and heck bent on crossing the border illegally to defraud our system intentionally.....am I missing something where she said anything like that elsewhere??

If you could only tell us your exact circumstances I think we'd all be able to help you better because right now you stayed very vague.

Do you really think she's going to come back and clarify now after all these accusations and assumptions have been made about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back